1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell processor problem - dell dimension 5150

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by adawn101, Jan 23, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Apparently those CPUs often go wrong, so it sounds like a reasonable fix.

2. doructin

doructin Member

I have almost the same problem from 24th of Feb : Dell 5150 with Connolly mb deliverd by Dell in nov.2005. The difference is the power button blinks amber, the rest is the same : the computer won't start ... but if I do get out his CMOS lithium battery (the simplest way to clear CMOS I've found) then put it back then it would start with a bip to tell me there was a previous fan problem and a bad CMOS CRC check; I have to press F2 and fix the date of the system and no-floppy, etc ... then my system starts ...
    The problem is that I have to do it evry time I want to use this DELL ... and I'm writing this text from it ! but I really have a problem with Dell from now on. So I've changed the battery with a new one ... but I have to always reset CMOS before I can make him start.

So if it starts: it is not the CPU, the cpu-fan and his connector are also ok - checked; it might be the little board near the power button (with really no acces to it ) or the power supply !? and what is the connection with CMOS ?

So try to clear your CMOS ... see if it helps.
    Or did you fix your problem ? I'd be intrested to know how ... Thanks ;)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If the CMOS keeps getting corrupt, there might be a problem with that, or the battery that powers it. Try replacing the battery for it first (that's cheap) and if no joy, you may need to replace the BIOS chip. Even that'll be cheaper than getting a new motherboard.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sam, that won't be the bios chip causing that problem as i had a similar 1 with my temporary old board in that each time i start up the pc, i would have to reset the cmos info. i already had replaced the battery with a known good 1 & still had that problem. the problem was with the board itself not the bios chip when you think about it.

5. doructin

doructin Member

Indeed, I've changed the battery with a brand new one; no change ... the Dell 5150 does not start ... I have to force myself the CMOS reset ... that way at least will start ... with a CMOS error ... but starts. I'm prepering an EEPROM (BIOS) flash ... from the curent A00 to A07... but if then it doesn't start ... I don't know what I do ...

Does someone ?
    Thanks !

6. ddp

if pc is under warranty then get it fixed. if not under warranty then replace the motherboard with a store bought board that would fit your case & components.

7. doructin

doructin Member

Thanks Sam and DDP , you gave me a clue : It might be the BIOS:
    OK, I've done it: New BIOS v. A07 ( replaced ex-A00) ... and I'm lucky, the computer starts know evry time ... well .... it's just a couple of days since it's OK, but hope it will be for good.

So in case of intermitent errors, if you arrive to start your computer: think to flash your BIOS. If I've flashed the A00, still I think it would have been fine!

It is important to share our experiences on sites like AFTERDAWN. It is here that I've learned a lot from the problem that adawn101 had ( or still have !?).
    Thanks and Bye !

8. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I am having the same problem with my Dimension 1100/B110.If i get mine to start also,how would i flash the bios?Thanks in advance.

9. doructin

doructin Member

You have to look on the DELL site, Tab SUPPORT, search for your computer and go in the download section. There they propose the downloads to uprgade drivers for chipsets, graphical boards, etc... and ... BIOS. After the download is complete you have to run the exe file on your computer ( close all other programs before) ... the program will then restart your computer ... it is just before restating that it flushes the EEPROM ( re-writes it) .... Fortunately, I was lucky when it wrote back to me : EEPROM Flushing succeeded ... and the system started.

Hope you'll got that luck too.

10. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I had no luck booting it up.I will replace the PSU and see it that works,if not, i am not wasting my time with the MB.I will salvage what i can from this Dimension and built a new one in time.I had always been a DELL fan and i never had this much trouble before.

11. doructin

doructin Member

Sorry ...
    ... does your power-on button blink amber ?
    => if yes ... Try reseting CMOS (i.e. get out the battery, or use the jumpers on the mb ... re-put the jumper in place, or the battery)
    => does it start ? you'll have to reinit the date, if you have or not a floppy, etc ...
    Also in CMOS config ... disable errors on Keybourd during POST ; might also help.

If you use a KVM switch (for keybord, mouse and video) make sure it's the only computer using it when you test.

And well , if nothing works, not even the PSU, then get another mb, save your HDD, DVD-drives , memory !? and reinstall the system !

It's frustating.

12. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

Yes the power on botton does blink amber.Yeah it is frustrating.I tried everything but a PSU.I saw computers with bad mother boards boot up.This is very weird.From what i read on here,these boards are prone to go bad.Do you possibly know what the diameters are for this dell dimension 1100 motherboard?I have the technical Specification sheet in front of me and no where it reads that.Everything else i dont really need to know is though,go figure.If worse comes to worse,i will replace my board with a better chip and board,that fits in my case.Everything happens in three's and i'm past that now.Anyway,thanks for your help in advance.

13. ddp

i think that board is a micro-atx in size not the atx which is bigger. replace the psu too if replacing the motherboard with a non-dell version.

14. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

ddp,

I found out that i do have a ATX tower,does not tell me micro or regular.

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

edited out as i wasn't wearing my eyesight properly

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  16. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I dont have a 5150,i have a dimension 1100/B100.I atleast know,It is not a full size tower.

17. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I was posting on this thread because i was have the same problem with my 1100.I now know that i have a micro ATX tower,so i should have a micro ATX board?

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

19. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

No,that was my fault for not including that info before hand.I'm waiting for my power supply to arrive in the mail(should be by Tuesday).If it is not that,from what i been reading it might be my board.Could i replace my current DELL MB with a non DELL MB?Mycurrent MB is alright for me but the sound and video are on board and i cant update them.Just an example if i buy this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813185107
    The board is a micro ATX and the size is 9.6" x 7.9"
    The current size of my MB now is 9.60" x 8.20"
    This wouldnt matter too much would it?
    I also understand with this board i could use the same pentium chip i have now if still good or get a another one that is listed there.
    Sorry for these dum questions,I never had any problems before like this.Thanks again for all your help :)

20. ddp

fandr, your link says that board uses a socket 775 cpu but the link by creaky says your cpu is a socket 478 which can't be used on a 775 board. also the ram is different as yours is ddr ram & the new board uses ddr2 ram which are not pin compatible.