1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell processor problem - dell dimension 5150

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by adawn101, Jan 23, 2008.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

That was the first link i fell upon, i'd be happier if we had a proper Dell link in here, haven't found one yet, how about the Service Tag off the case, would that help the proceedings ?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. creaky

nice one, i was more meaning that i hadn't found a link yet, guessed you would have done already :)

4. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

Oh i read that,thanks.I do have a Celeron D chip,but that is not one of the choices there in my link.I know about,me needing different ram.But all that set aside,would that board fit in my mini ATX tower with the specs i provided above?Thanks in advance.

5. creaky

As i say, the Service Tag would get the specifics off the Dell site for your own machine..

6. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I did go on dell and get the specs for my dell.That is how i know the size of my mini atx motherboard 9.60" x 8.20".For people that didnt read farther up on the page,my power on button is blinking amber.This means that there is a internal power problem,i know this because i went on dell,under the documentation of my computer.You would figure it would be a power supply,but according to some people on here,it might be the board.However i am going with the cheapest way to check.If that doesnt fix the situaton,the next thing is to get a new board.I really dont want to replace the board with a DELL board.That is why i am asking,instead of me getting a new tower,i could use my current one but a new MB.I was using that link i provided as an example.If i replace my MB measuring 9.60" x 8.20" with one measuring 9.6" x 7.9".Would this mean much at all?I know i would have to get another chip and different ram.

7. creaky

My experience with Dell's (and Compaq for that matter) is that the boards aren't quite standard ATX (presume this is the same with BTX and others) - what i mean by that is that the sockets won't match with the holes on the back of the case if you wanted to use a bog-standard motherboard; With a bog-standard motherboard you'd usually get a bracket for the pc case, to cater for the sockets being in different places, but on Dell/Compaq et al the pc case has no (bog)standard holes or replaceable backplates..

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  8. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

Ok,so to be safe,it would be wise to replace the case as well?Thanks for all your help.

9. creaky

depends on whether there's a cutout for the board's sockets i guess, any Dell's i've come across haven't got cutouts, i'm guessing all Dell's are the same.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the board will probably fit but then you will have a wiring problem from the case front to the motherboard. that wiring is the power button, power led & hd led as dell uses a single connector with those wires attached that wont be pin compatible with the new motherboard.

11. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I received my power supply today.I changed it and it booted up fine.Thank god it was my mother board or CPU.I do have one last question?How would i check the temperature of my computer?Thanks for everybodys help,it was greatly appreciated.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most people use Speedfan. It doesn't work with all motherboards though, so I can't guarantee you success with it.

13. digger500

digger500 Member

Hi,

Could you provide a link to the PSU you bought? I have a dimensions 1100 and I need a new PSU.

Anybody know if this would work? http://svp.co.uk/product/sumvision_powerx_650w_power_supply_4865

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  14. creaky

If it were me i'd try and source a proper Dell PSU, say eBay, for example (the first link i fell upon) - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....239&ih=013&category=3670&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

..as opposed to a cheapy PSU; i'm sure ddp linked some system specs further up the thread but i don't know if a standard PC's PSU would fit in your Dell. I'm no PSU expert but a 650W for £20-ish doesn't sound like it'd be much good to be honest...

15. digger500

digger500 Member

Thanks for the reply.

I hear ya but the only dell dimensions 1100 PSU i have come across is a 250W like the link you posted, I need a minimum 350W.

I know the price is cheap for 650W and that i may have to McGyver it into the tower.

Its more the fact that its a "switching PSU" that has me concerned, Do you just take it out the box and plug it in the same as a normal PSU?

16. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I bought my PSU for my Dell dimension 1100 on http://www.newegg.com They will have what your looking for.However you need to know if your case is a Micro ATX/ATX or whatever before buying your PSU.As for installing it,when your taking out your old one,take a mental note of where all the cables go on your mother board.Very easy to install,took me less then 5 minutes.Hope this helps you out some.

17. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

Sorry,here is the link to my PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104210
    This is a 250w PSU and this will do just fine,no need for a 650W.Our case is a Micro Atx,so the size of this PSU is small and installing it, is easy.Let me know if you need any more assistance.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, EVERY, and I mean EVERY product I or anyone else has owned that was Sumvision has failed - 100% failure rate! The company's crap. Get a proper PSU or you'll pay the price.

19. digger500

digger500 Member

I guess only time will tell if i have the same luck as you :)

It fit perfectly. My McGyver skills were not needed :-(

:-D

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You are aware that if a cheap PSU breaks it usually destroys the rest of your system as well?