1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delta Hydra - one last try getting a 1997 game playing on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by kvn8907, Apr 10, 2011.

1. kvn8907

kvn8907 Member

Hello. There's an abandonware game from 1997 called Delta Hydra, that I played the shareware version of many years ago. I looked it up recently, and found it at http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/aban...elta_hydra.html and was able to download it. At first the game wouldn't run, asking for registry files that modern Windows no longer has. I downloaded the registry files, put them in C:\Windows\System32, and each one got me a bit further:
    *VB40032.DLL - Allowed Delta Hydra to at least start
    *ANIBTN32.OCX - Allowed me to get to start menu
    *THREED32.OCX - Allowed me to click on any menu button but "vehicles" and "solar chart"
    But then, it game me cryptic error "Runtime error '6' Overflow", and I could troubleshoot no further. I tried asking about it here last year, but I didn't have any luck. So, I was wondering if the readers now have any suggestions for getting this old game run. Any ideas are appreciated.

Here are the files relating to the game:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FYMWCH1D

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

well, just by looking at what you said you may want to download the runtime packs. idk if it would need visualbasic or c or what, but hopefully thatll get you one step further. have you tried compatibility mode on your current OS? or what abt dosbox if it is a dos game?

3. kvn8907

kvn8907 Member

Thanks for the response :)

It was originally a Windows 95 game, so dosbox is uncompatible woth it. Compatability mode also gets me no where - last time I tried, I tried on every single setting, with no luck whatsoever.

What do you mean runtime packs? How do I know which one to get when the error message is so generic? Are there any you'd suggest I try?

4. guarda

guarda Member

Find out how to emulate the Windows 98 under Windows 7 could work

Guarda Moveis

5. kvn8907

kvn8907 Member

Three things to that:
    1. I'm running Vista, not Windows 7
    2. I don't just have prior versions of Windows lying around
    3. What's with the guarda moveis link?

6. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

<3.probably a spammer, pay no mind.

runtimes- like what is on THIS page. i think ive been to that particular website before, but i'm not too sure. runtimes make sure a given programming language can perform its functions.

i found on an apple websitethis info. sounds like a math thing. i would try to get the visual basic runtimes. try this link for the most recent microsoft updates to the package.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  7. kvn8907

kvn8907 Member

On http://www.karenware.com/powertools/runtimes.asp I download and tried each VB in turn, checking Delta Hydra after each try to see if it would solve the problem. None of them did, but each VB gave a different effect
    Free Visual Basic Runtime v6.0 1 MB - Application would open and then immediately close
    Free Visual Basic Runtime v5.0 1.3 MB - Application opened and installed VB 5 correctly as far as I can tell
    Free Visual Basic Runtime v4.0 (32-bit version) 880 KB - After unpacking, it just gave me a duplicate version of VB40032.DLL - same size as before. I replaced the one in my system32 folder with it, to no effect.
    Free Visual Basic Runtime v3.0 248 KB - Put it in System 32 folder

So, at least that doesn't seem to be working. I'll try the other two links and see if there's any help.

Also, here's my error report for one of the latest crashes, if it helps:
    Product
    Delta Hydra

Problem
    Stopped working

Date
    4/24/2011 10:28 PM

Status
    Not Reported

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: DH.Exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.125
    Application Timestamp: 33afe0e6
    Fault Module Name: VB40032.DLL
    Fault Module Version: 4.0.29.24
    Fault Module Timestamp: 3106dc8c
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0003aaf9
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 1947
    Additional Information 2: f157e46a4dfb1b9ccbc604482237b7a4
    Additional Information 3: 9cde
    Additional Information 4: 9778dd4245b486589e6530dbad6416d2

8. kvn8907

kvn8907 Member

http://www.applecore99.com/gen/gen059.asp is informative, and at least now I know what an overload is, but since I can't look at or change the game code, it isn't much help

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...61-7A9C-43E7-9117-F673077FFB3C&displaylang=en does the same thing as "Free Visual Basic Runtime v6.0" did, as in it opens and then immediately closes the program, though before it closes I see a brief flash of it saying it wants to copy something. It's kind of odd that VB 6's install seems less compatible with my OS. But then, Vista isn't listed as one of the supported Operating Systems in the System Requirements.

Post script:
    There's a topic about Delta Hydra from 2009 at Home of the Underdogs:
    http://www.hotud.org/agora/topic?id=343

Similar to the http://www.applecore99.com/gen/gen059.asp link, I'm not sure how much it would help, but at least the thread provides some interesting information from the horse's mouth.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  9. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

using virtualbox might be your best bet. its a virtual machine software developed by oracle, and is available free of charge. as for the win 95, perhaps you know someone that has an install disc for win95 in their attic or something. just a thought.

10. kvn8907

kvn8907 Member

So, if I don't have any old OS disks lying around, and don't know anyone who does, Oracle VM VirtualBox is useless?

11. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

Oracle VM is like a cup without water when you dont have an OS to load on it.

12. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

Oracle VM is like a cup without water when you dont have an OS to load on it.

13. kvn8907

kvn8907 Member

Any other ideas for things I could try besides getting another operating system?

14. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

Try a DOS box just incase 60% of windows functions/calls where still operated by DOS, Vista has no DOS operating parameters at all. Windows 7 emulates dos commands alot better than vista, still no where Near 40%.

for instance i can run Doom in Windows 7, however i cannot control Movement(with USB keyboard) and there is no sound. throw it in the Dosbox then bam sound and control restored.

15. kvn8907

kvn8907 Member

I don't understand. I've already tried DOSbox for Delta Hydra, but when I try to run it, it just gives me the message that it's not a DOS program.