1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1909 loses audio and video for a second

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by kmayfield, Sep 1, 2008.

1. kmayfield

kmayfield Member

I just set up my first system. I have a Denon 1909 with Monitor Audio Radius speakers. Radius 90s for left/right, 360 sub, 180 for center and 45s for surround. I'm using the PS3 as my blu ray player. One HDMI going to the tv. HDMI connection on the PS3.

Everything sounds great, but every now and then while watching a movie I'll lose video and audio for a few seconds - then it comes back. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Do I have something not set up properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Kelly

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Are you watching a dvd, cable, satellite, or OTA tv?
    I have the same thing happen with digital cable, and I'm pretty sure it is the cable company, since it has happened with two different receivers.

3. kmayfield

kmayfield Member

so far it has only happened while watching dvds. It hasn't happened with cable yet, but I've only had the setup for a week.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

5. kmayfield

kmayfield Member

I'll try that this weekend and see if the problem happens again. Thanks.

6. JVC

JVC Active member

I'm taking it for granted that you're going out from PS3 to receiver with HDMI, then out from receiver to tv with HDMI? Try them one at a time, but make sure you try both HDMI cables.
    Good luck!

7. betamax82

betamax82 Member

I have encountered the same problem. I just got the 1909, and with any HDMI source (DVD player, PS3, or XBox 360), it will randomly drop the audio and video for a short period. Nothing is losing power. The receiver just drops the signal temporarily then it comes back. The annoying thing is, this same problem occurred with two previous Sony receivers that I was trying as well. Additionally, I have tried switching out the HDMI cables, and trying different components, but the problem still continues.

8. Vicne

Vicne Member

Hi kmayfield, betamax82,

Could you please tell us what TV brand and model the 1909 is connected to ? It could well be an incompatibility in HDMI protocol between the two...

Vicne

9. betamax82

betamax82 Member

I am using a 52" Sony XBR4.

10. kmayfield

kmayfield Member

I have the same tv Sony 52" xbr4. Nice to see I'm not alone. Any ideas?

11. Vicne

Vicne Member

Seems we have a match here... credit is due to my colleague McGyver ;-)

I guess there's something slightly out of the HDMI spec in either the 52" Sony XBR4 or the Denon 1909 that makes them drop the signal from time to time. I would advise you to separately get in touch with both Denon and Sony support dept and mention that behaviour.
    Hopefully they'll be able to reproduce the problem and to fix the problem (though if the Denon is the problem, I guess the only way to update its firmware is by sending back the unit for repair :-( ).

Don't forget to mention you tried multiple sources and multiple HDMI cables, both between the source and the Denon and between the Denon and the Sony.

Just 2 cents from someone looking forward to buying the Denon - fortunately with a Panasonic TV set...

Vicne

12. betamax82

betamax82 Member

kmayfield: would you keep me updated on your troubleshooting results, if any? This problem is driving me crazy.

I'm REALLY hoping it's not a TV issue because the TV would be the biggest hassle to try and get fixed. Also, if it is a TV issue, why is it that the audio is dropping out as well? The audio portion of the signal only makes it as far as the receiver, so could a problem with the TV still have an effect on sound?

13. Vicne

Vicne Member

Unfortunately yes.
    In fact, TV and A/V receiver have to agree on what to do with the sound (i.e. to allow for Lip-Sync : the TV tells the receiver how much time it needs to process the video so that the receiver introduces the same delay in the sound).
    If the TV and receiver lose communication with each other, they need a certain time to "re-negociate" the communication (just like when you disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable) during which all settings are reset, and that most probably causes the loss of sound and video you observe...

Vicne

14. luis18

luis18 Member

hi..after reading ur comments i begin to wonder about my own Sony XBR HDTV..i recently plugged my laptop via HDMI to my Sony TV and every now and then I also get a drop on the monitor,,it's just for a split second and then my laptop display's a message saying "driver stopped responding but now has fully recovered"..maybe this is a whole new animal here but..now I have submitted sample questions to Denon about this problem and hoping they have a solution, cuz i too was also thinking about purchasing the 1909 unit.

15. dtangent4

dtangent4 Member

Has anyone figured out a solution to the problem (if any)? I have the same TV (52XBR4) paired with the Denon 1909 and I am also experiencing 1-2 seconds audio and video drop out regardless of the HDMI source (PS3 or satellite box). Everything stayed power-on when this happens, and the video/audio will come back on its own.

HDMI sources------Denon 1909------52XBR4

The thing is, I have not had this issue with the PS3 or the satellite box plugged in directly to the TV, only when the receiver was introduced.

16. FitRS

FitRS Member

I think I pinpointed the problem folks. I just bought my 1909 last week and I noticed the 1 second sound drop out immediately.

I traced it to the Audyssey settings. I had it on for my HD viewing, but off for my DVDs. I never heard any drop out while watching my DVDs, only TV. So once I turned my Audyssey Volume OFF, I never heard it again.

Hope this helps.

If it is indeed the Audyssey electronics, it's a defect.

17. dtangent4

dtangent4 Member

FitRS,

That's interesting. Since I have audyssey on all the time (just the red light so I believe it's dynamic EQ only, no dynamic volume), it affects every source I watch.

Have you tried to contact Denon about this or confirmed this with Denon?

18. FitRS

FitRS Member

I have not contacted Denon, only the A/V store where I bought it (only a week or so ago). I was going to call them today and ask how long I have to return my receiver if the symptom persists, but I didn't need to since I saw that turning off the Dynamic Volume "cures" the problem. It still IS a possible defect though. What if I WANT my Dynamic Volume working flawlessly??

I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Regarding yours...are you going to try and turn off all of your Audyssey settings just to test?

19. dtangent4

dtangent4 Member

I will turn off Audyssey tonight to see if that fixes my problem. It happens very random and I can go a day or two without issue so it'll take me a while to "verify".

Regarding Denon, I have contacted them twice about this. At that time I had no workaround to prove that it was a Denon issue, so Denon kept blaming it on the XBR4, and kept claiming that the 1909 worked with all other TVs.

Finally, the guy told me to return it to the store I bought it from, but it has been over 30 days and Denon would not accept the unit for warranty request, since they didn't believe the unit is faulty. Denon had no intention to see this through.

The 1909 is not firmware upgradable, so any type of service will have to go to their authorized center anyway. My suggestion to you is that unless you can live with the problem, return the unit while you can. Just google to find people that have HDMI problems with their higher end Denon and Sony TV. It is still not fixed and Denon confesses as much.

I still would like to know their response if you call them.

20. FitRS

FitRS Member

Hmm. Just FYI, I have my Denon connected to my TV via S video or something like that, not HDMI or optical. Since I had my condition only occur while watching cable, I don't think it has anything to do with the TV, yours or mine. But then again, you said yours happens once a day or two while mine happens once every 10-20 minutes it seems.

Since I turned off my Audyssey Dynamic Volume, I have yet to hear any dropout. So it HAS to be that, not a cable connection or source.

I hope I helped at least a little in solving your (and others here) problem. Thank God for these message boards.

I'll still call my A/V store tomorrow and see what they're feedback is on this.

Regards.