1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2805 questions

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by darien87, Nov 12, 2005.

1. darien87

darien87 Member

Hello all,

Newbie here. I tried doind a search and didn't find the info I was looking for. I am replacing my old Yamaha receiver with a Denon 2805, (it'll be here next week). I stumbled onto this site while doing research on the 2805. Some of the things I read here is what influenced me to buy the unit.

My questions are these:

In reading another thread, someone mentioned hooking up all components to the 2805 using digital connections, due to the high quality of the 2805's processors or something like that. What does this mean? With my DVD player, I currently have the sound going through a fiber optic cable and the video going through component cables to my HDTV. I know that once I get the 2805 all of my components will hook up to the 2805, then just one set of cables goes to the TV.

I don't think my CD player has anything other than RCA jacks, (it's pretty old).

I pretty much just use my current receiver for home theater. I don't listen to much music at home. About all I have hooked up is my CD player and my PS2.

Will the video up-conversion make my non-HD channels look better on my HDTV? Right now I only have about 10 HD channels on my cable system. Those channels look great, but the non-HD channels look like crap.

Also, what is the benefit of banana plugs? I saw some at Radio Shack today, but they run about $10 a pair. Seems a tad pricey.

By the way, my speakers are Boston Acoustics VR2 fronts with a PV500 sub. Boston Acoustic rears and a Yamaha center speaker.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for all the questions, but as I said, I'm a bit of a newbie. I'd call myself a "middle of the road video/audiophile. I don't buy the best equipment. But I know what sounds good and I do research and make sure I get good equipment.

2. darien87

darien87 Member

Sorry. Forgot one question. I want to upgrade my CD player. But I figure I might as well try to get a good all-in-one type of DVD/CD player. I LOVE the Toshiba DVD player I have currently, but I would like to upgrade to a progressive scan unit. Anyone have any reccomendations on a good prog-scan DVD/CD player?

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello! I have a denon 3805. I would suggest that you also connect your DVD to the AVR; you'd be surprised what a difference it will make with the upconverter in your AVR. I know what you mean about the HD from cable being great what the regular stations aren't so wonderful...I haven't tried connecting to my AVR yet but I recently ran a post addressing that question and the response was that it does make a positive difference. I have an old CD player with RCA plugs but I play all my CDs through the DVD player...sounds much better. I would look up your 2805 in a review site called "audioholics"...just type it in google. Great site that can tell you all sorts of things.

4. darien87

darien87 Member

Wow, a 3805. I'm scared of you, Mr. Fancy-Schmancy. :) Thanks for the info. I'll go check out Audioholics.

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Bah...they're not all that different; just a few extra gizmos which I probably paid too much for...I do love the thing though.

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

@darien87
    watch yourself, i know it was meant as a joke, but gerry was just trying to give advice.
    and here is mine....
    if you use your receiver as the hub for all audio and video, you will have a few pros and cons with it.
    here are the pros...

better upconversion signals, yes, but the con is, the unit has to be on.
    secondly, you will need double the cables (and if you buy quality cables, you will also spend double the amount)
    so it goes like this
    run your equipment this way....
    use digital through the receiver and send signals analog to individual components.
    that way you can still watch tv or a dvd without having to turn the receiver on.
    i run my digital outs through my receiver for better sound and picture, but sometimes i just want to watch tv or a dvd without the receiver on, so i just use good rca cables, (but in my case, i have component) so i use it that way.

take your time and research what you want to buy, after all, you are the one who will be dealing with it, not us, so buy what works for you. i dont like the toshiba, and have read bad reviews about it. i have a Yammy RX V1500 receiver and an LG LDA-511 dvd player that plays it all.

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@gear

If you connect your digital to your Yammie and the analog to your TV, will the analog features on your Yammie function properly? I never tried that.

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

yeah, cuz it is simply by-passed.
    its like this, when i want to watch a movie with the AVR on, i use digital outs, but at the same token, if i want to watch the movie without the AVR on, it just by-passes the receiver. the audio and video are analog signals. i just use the component out from the dvd player straight to to tv and use the audio plus for the sound.
    my wife has no clue how to run the unit, so i made it where she can pop in a cartoon for the baby and he can watch it with out the AVR on. simple, easy, and saves me the hastle on showing her how to operate it.

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

(I don't mean to appear to be hyjacking this thread but since Darien and I have similar equipment, I think it would profit him to hear these answers...I love tapping your expertise in these matters, Gear.)

I guess what I'm asking is this: if your analog is from your DVD is connected to your TV instead of your AVR, features like DSP Simulation (concert hall, jazz club etc.) still function properly? I don't use them often but I do use them and Yammie is supposed to the cream of the crop with these features. I thought they functioned off the analog inputs; they don't? and these features still work o.k.? If so, I'm going to try what you suggested to Darien. Also, Darien was thinking of getting a new DVD player with good audio for his CDs. Any reason why he shouldn't simply connect the old DVD to the TV exclusively and the new one to the AVR exclusively? In short, two DVD players.

In your message to Darien, were you suggesting that he only connect the RCA jack from his cable box to the TV and the digital to the AVR? If so, how will the image on the TV be affected when he tunes into a Hi Def channel if his AVR isn't running? Please be patient with my questions; I'm a left brain thinker but I think the right is totally short-circuited.

(I know what you meant about not having to teach the wife about using the system; that was the point I was trying to make in a another thread about how, to some, ease of use is a prime consideration when purchasing.) Thanx ... Gerry

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2005
  10. gear79

gear79 Guest

in his/your case of hi-def channels, the cable/satellite box may have its own cables. so there, you may be forced to use what comes supplied or buy such cable.
    in my case, analog vs. digital...........
    my dvd player has upconversion already built in, so i simply have an HDMI cable from dvd player straight to the hi-def tv, it carries audio and video, so that solves the problem of multiple cables. i also have that cable to video 1 (input) on the tv, only the optical out cable runs through the AVR for its sound (when on)
    my dvd player supports weird sound formats, but i dont bother with them, my tv has sounds built in, 3D surround, SRS, BBE 50watt speakers (4 total) so it sound good just as is, plus, my kid dont need good sound for his cartoons, nor does my wife for her chick flicks.

and i really appreciate the fact that you think i have all this knowledge in H/T (i will never know it all, nor be an expert)
    i only know by reading, learning, watching, and hands on trial and error.
    with signals running thru my AVR, all functions operate, even 2nd and 3rd rooms. even my dvd has funky options, none of which i use.

cabling is like this, my picture is as Hi-Def as its gonna get with the HDMI cable straight to the tv, true 1080 resolution, with the components running (even though not analog) straight to the tv, i can still upconvert the picture to 1080.
    now, off my satelitte, it has a DVI output, so there is that cable, again, digital, and with out the AVR on, i use just the s-video with standard rca's for sound, no AVR on. works well, picture is semi ok.
    i am soon gonna buy a DLP tv, but not sure which one yet.
    anyway, i aam fixing to go home, so i will get back to you tonight when i get home and eat dinner.
    sounds like you should just call me instead !! hehe... easier to communicate that way.
    anyway, i'll check in when i get home.

11. gear79

gear79 Guest

ok, i also forgot to add, my yammy does upconversion as well, but is pointless really, due to the fact i dont pay for hi-def, except with the off air hi-def antennea, i just run that straight to the tv.
    i have toyed with the upconversion on the yammy a bit, but its downfall is that the unit has to be on for it to upconvert. my signal (video image) is more clear with the DVI (from satellite) versus the HD antennea.
    where are you from anyway Gerry?
    i am south central texas, san antonio....... 2 b exact

oh, and darein87
    those plugs at radio shack are cheaper then monsters (anyday)
    i have, and did buy the banana plug (long time ago) got them in a 2 pack for like 2.50 a box. not gold plated or anything, but i am believer that if you dont have TOTAL high end equipment, you wont have much of an effect anyway.

12. darien87

darien87 Member

Wow. Thanks for the responses guys.

Gear, I don't understand why you're saying I need to watch myself. I was merely making a joke about how Gerry had a better piece of equipment than I do. I think he took it the right way.

As for my equipment, I just bought a Panasonic S77S DVD player based on the advice of someone from Audioholics. It has HDMI outs, but my TV doesn't seem to have HDMI ins so I'm kinda screwed there. My cable box has component video cables and right now, those just go directly to my TV. The only other jacks the cable box has are:

Optical SPDIF
    IEEE
    DVID Out

I don't even know what these are.

I don't like the idea of having to have the 2805 on all the time. I'm planning on getting rid of my CD player and using either the new DVD plyer, (Panasonic) or the old one, (Toshiba) to play music CD's. Ideally, I'd just have the Panasonic doing double-duty as music and video source. Is this not a good idea?

So how do I hook up my cable box and DVD player if I don't want to leave the 2805 on all the time? By the way, the manager at a local Magnolia (Mid-to-high end audio/video store) told me to leave my 2805 on all the time anyway. He says it's better for the unit, since you're not subjecting it to all the heat cycles that turning it off and on does. He described it as being like turning your car off every time you came to a stop light. I called Denon and they didn't have an opinion about it either way.

Thanks for the help guys.

13. gear79

gear79 Guest

ok, if you read my post right, this is what it said.......
    no harm, no foul

anyway, since your dvd player has the HDMI out, (which is great) but............ a GOOD HIGH quality component cables are just as good as HDMI, but carry no sound, only video.
    your cable box has good outputs as well, but render themselves usless since you dont have the DVI or HDMI ins on the tv

this is how i would connect your set up, and dont leave the receiver on, i would not do it with mine..
    from your dvd player to receiver.......
    run digital outs (optical- for sound) to receiver input
    run hdmi from dvd player to component input on tv via adapter (link i provided) and that way you have both sound and video with receiver on.
    now, with out receiver on, run good RCA cables (red, white, and yellow) unless you have S-video or 2 component outputs on both cable box and dvd player (component gives a better pic then s-video) from the dvd player and cable box straight to the tv, so you can bypass the receiver (all your equip still works with both connections) and have the receiver off while using an analog signal.
    i know it sounds confusing, but its rather simple, once you understand input and output and what goes to what.
    if i were there, i'd hook you up, literally, but i am not.
    i will look for a diagram, simplified to show you, if not, i will take a pic of my set up and post it here (connections wise).
    they do make upconversion cables, like these...
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...04&p_id=2508&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
    which will work from your cable to the tv and for your dvd player, you will need this one.... adapter
    http://www.bettercables.com/cohdv.html

try this connection link, not good pics of actual hook ups, but explains what they mean
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/howto-av.html

here is a kinda ok guide
    http://www.monstercable.com/hookup_learning/csg/receiver/receiver.asp

a slightly better one
    http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/avhardware/receiverconnectionssetup.php

i almost bought that Onkyo (above pictured) but it was the 702, not the 701 they show there.

let me know if you understand all this, i know its confusing, but i get carried away and automatically assume you know. i will try to simplify it better if you dont get it, let me know.

14. darien87

darien87 Member

Thanks for the help Gear. I'll print your response out, so I can read it over a few times. I know my cable box only has one set of component outs. I'm pretty sure my Toshiba does too. Not sure about the Panasonic as I don't have it in hand yet.

15. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, you can also use the s-video option, but your picture quality will suffer a bit.
    video cable quality is as such, going from worst to best
    coaxial cable (labeled RG59) is by far the worst... cheapy stuff that comes suppplied with video equipment
    coaxial cable (labeled RG6) better then RG59, but still sux
    video cable (the yellow rca cable).. better then coax, but is still primative
    then you step up to S-video, better pic quality
    next, you have component (red, blue, & green) by far great quality, just invest in the cable
    next up is DVI (you have one of those... rectangular plug, multiple pins, gold usually) but carries NO SOUND at all
    and lastly, HDMI, the best around, carries both audio and video

same goes for audio cables

the ole red and white RCA cables, left and right sound, cheap, but works

then you have coax (orange labeled on audio equipment) used as a digital output or even for a sub, sometimes (and mostly black labeled on equip)
    then we step up to optical (sound travels by light) which in my opinion is better then coax, but others will argue
    sound is faster with optical, andi can prove it on my set up.
    since i have both optical and RCA from my dvd playe, i still get normal sound from my tv while the receiver is on, but if you listen carefully, the sound has an echo, but only if the tv is louder then the receiver, so i usually just mute the tv so i dont have that effect.

i hope this helps a bit more.

16. darien87

darien87 Member

All right. I just went and grabbed the manual for my TV, and it shows that it does indeed have IEEE-1394 and DVI-HD inputs. Does this change how I should hook things up?

17. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

Hey guys, I was just catching this post and noticed gear79 was sharing. How are you doing my friend? How do you like the Denon? Great gear! My personal experience on this is that when a person is investing serious cash in Home Theater, or an Audio/Video room...two things that can make a big difference: 1st, invest into a high-end line conditioner and protector...I would suggest the Monster Reference Power Centers (cost$ but worth it and it does make a difference and a sense of peace while watching movies, even when the are storms outside.) There is also the newer Panamax out there that are good as well. I would also suggest investing in a nice touch screen remote...not necessarily AMX, Panja, or that highend, but like the Prontos (newer ones are really nice.) Here's the reason...video upconversion in the receivers allow those with HDTV's to use the HDMI, or Component upconversion that reduces cable purchase. ALl my audio cables (Digital and Analog) run into my Yammaha RXV 995 (I know it's older, but I have had it for 7 years!) Since my Mitsubishi 55 inch HDTV 16X9 has a ton of inputs I like the direct connection (and the Yamaha does not upconvert!). My HD Sat. receiver has DVI out, yet I use Monster high end component and can not see that difference that made me go out and purchase DVI. Two progressive scan dvd players are direct connected to the back of the Mitsubishi. That includes Denon 2200, and a Sony. The HD Sat Receiver also pulls in Off-air channels (I receive them all from Broken Arrow, Ok.) They look stunning! This is plugged into Monster Power Reference, allconnected by Monster, MIT, Tributaries, and Audio Quest. It is controlled by an older Pronto remote that is set up for basically every member...if my wife wants to come into the Theater to watch a movie she simply presses her button and everything comes on and when she is done...hits another and everything goes off...the same with Sat. or VCR (Yes, there is still one attached for certain movies that she doesn't want to mess with getting a Dvd of...I never watch them!) and if my daughter comes home from school and wants to watch Nick...she presses her button for Sat. and it even is programed to go to her channels and she simply changes channel by the remote...I did have to teach them both how to come in and press Dvd Movie On, Sat. On,...you see it really doesn't have to be difficult, but I believe you should want to protect your investment and make your investment user-friendly (especially when it comes to your family). The sound in the Theater is definitive Technology speakers Front, Center, and Sub (Pwerofield 1500+ 500 watts), the surround speakers are B&W (Bowers and Wilkes)...The room is 16 feet wide by 21 feet long.
    MovieDud

p.s. Don't you just love all the neat toys we get to play with!

18. gear79

gear79 Guest

the IEEE is a firewire type connection, i doubt any of your other a/v equip have it, so dont worry about it.
    here is an article about that connection.
    http://www.vxm.com/21R.49.html

ok, since your tv has the DVI input, but a HDMI to DVI cable like this one..
    http://www.bettercables.com/dvihdmicables.html
    not necessarily that particular one, but you get the idea. even some computer stores sell them, and i'd suggest you buy one of those for now, so you dont spend loads of money, see if you get a better picture (i know you will)
    connect that cable in 1 of 2 ways, depending on which you watch more of, be it TV or DVD
    so connect from you cable box DVI to DVI or your dvd player HDMI to DVI.
    thats how i'd do it
    and if it makes you feel better, i started off with a computer store bought HDMI to DVI cable, then i stepped up and got HDMI to HDMI, sooner or later, the FCC will mandate all signals be in HD format, and its better to be prepared, so when they hype happens, you will areald be set for the future.

19. gear79

gear79 Guest

Hiya MovieDud, long time no see

no, I have the Yammy RX-V1500, not the Denon, like Gerry or Darien in here.

i see you have the remote that does Macro functions, nice indeed.
    i have mine set up to control my ceiling fans and window blinds......... i know i know......... BUT I LOVE GADGETS!!!

my nest set up will be a dimmer for my lights, Macros controlled too.
    oh, BTW Moviedud, i was telling Gerry, i may get hooked up with some Def Tech Mythos towers from a buddy of mine for helping him out with a truck of his.......... i will know by this thursday if he is gonna hook me up.

i cant wait, these speakers are awesome in his house!! he has the whole set........ but a klipsch sub, but that thing rocks his home.

20. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gear79, that sounds awe-some, I have seen and heard the Mythos and they are really sweet! I love the remote and it has made things very nice and easy...I like to spoil myself, but I love seeing my girls when they go to watch a movie and knowing that they can do it themselves is pretty cool. That light dimmer and even handling shades or some form of window covering that would drop down when you press the magic button and it's showtime. Cool! I'm glad you are here at AD and I have been able to get to know you. Have a good evening my friend.
    MovieDud
    p.s. Early congrats on the Mythos...By the way what is he doing? Upgrading (why?) or just making some changes? Mot trying to pry just wondering because the Mythos series is sonically awe-some!