1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2805 questions

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by darien87, Nov 12, 2005.

1. darien87

darien87 Member

Thanks again for the info gear. They did have Monster Cable adapters at Radio Shack. I'll pick one up.

Do you think that running the cable TV through the AVR will improve my non-HD picture at all, or is that just a waste of time?

2. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gerry1. I understand and I definitely do not want you to hit the pills, but rather try a couple of the progs. I mentioned, as several others at ad mention quite frequently...CloneDvd 2 is simply, user friendly, power to re-author is great for the user (I like the scissors feature, a lot like Shrink or Recode 2...just not as precise, but beyond that works very effectively.) There are two others I mention only as actual 1 click progs...1 Click Dvd and Dvd ClonerII, I have them as well as X Copy Platinum (I actually kept the files, and other stuff on my cruzer drive and just placed it on the second computer and works great, I just have learned so much at ad and found the progs: Rebuilder Pro, CloneDvd 2, Recode 2, Intercopy 3 are much better and provide amazing quality in the backups...if you want to do dual layers just stick with Decrypter (Iso mode) and I actually burn with ImgBurn the same Iso file...Awe-some...every dl plays just as the original...I'm kind of anal in that I like several backups for different parts of the house. Definitely download several and try them out before you buy...make sure you understand (and if you don't come here and ask and there is a lot of help and plenty of well done guides.)...make sure it works with your set up, both computer and stand alones. Hope this helps and have a good evening.
    MovieDud

@gear79, I have not handled anything like that so far, but I always like a challenge and love to learn so I'll get back to ya as soon as possible. Yes, that movie has awe-some surround...I really cranked it up last not and my wife thought something crased into the house (Not kidding!) I'll get back to you soon my friend.
    MovieDud

3. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ darien, you can run the cables in and out of the receiver, but me personally, i would not, because now you are introducing 'the middle' man here and picture quality may be either exactly the same, or slightly worse. plus, you have to have the unit on just to watch tv. but for your own personal 'trial and error' give it a shot, after all, you will be the one viewing your product. it certainly does not hurt to try it out. heck, you may get a better picture after all, all models of avr equip is different, and some spend more money in areas that way. but like i said, you will only know an learn by trial and error. it will only cost you a few minutes of your time.

@ Movie
    i encountered that problem with stealth and decrypter, stopped at 6% and would not advance, i am gonna hit the shrink forums for solutions.

good nite all !

4. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gear79, You know it was strange that Recode 2 wouldn't open but shrink could easily open the dvd, and I re-authored, using the sart/stop feature and removed the plank screen and then placed it on the HD and used Recode 2 and...flawless. I know I didn't have to go back to Recode 2 since it was no compression, but I wanted to see what caused the movie from going through analysis with Recode 2...anyways I made two backups and both are perfect, I compared the original to the backup and actually used the freeze and zoom feature to expand just to notice anything, but I couldn't. I'm pretty happy. I later place the entire files on HD using Decrypter and not one problem...I mainly did it to see how Decrypter handle this and it worked. Have you tried any other prog. that you have? It seems that everyone is finding different methods to backing up this movie as well as Madagascar. I received the update to AnyDvd today (v. 5.5.4.1) I wonder if that will help with these latest movies that have been issues for many? hey, keep at it my friend, and I know you will be successful as I have learned a great deal from you and many others at Ad...keep teaching and passing on your knowledge.
    MovieDud

5. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, i have anydvd running in the background, and now i can get it to 69%, with decrypter only, it hits 9%, i let it run last night, 3,350 tries later, would not crack. other proggies i have are avi2dvd, anydvd, vso's divx2dvd, nero 6 (full) win dvd, and of course shrink and decrypter.
    i am getting ready for work now, so i will tackle this later tonight. since my printer has now fried, i will research this at work as well, and print out results there.
    talk about one hijacked thread and off topic too !!

i have not seen any mods in this area for some time....... oh well

6. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

It is strange that shrink wouldn't handle it. Shrink worked for my copy, but again that doesn't mean anything. I'll think about today and get back to you maybe through a pm. Have a good day at work.
    MovieDud

7. gear79

gear79 Guest

i got it, did it before i went to work. i have never tried this method before, but it worked. left the movie in the drive, opened shrink, ran it through, re-authored, and burned. worked just fine. i was always just used to using decrypter, then shrink, placed it in the hdd, and backed-up that way. doing it the new way, it does not place anything in the hdd or create folders. so i did a test play, and it works. i only backed up in 5.1 and chose not to use dts, for the simple fact it was faster, and if i ended up with a coaster, i would not be devistated...

i learn something new everyday....

anyway, now lets get back on topic... today is the day darien gets his 2805..............wooooooooooohooooooooooooo !! best he is already creaming...... haha !! j/k
    let us know darien...

8. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

I was loking at the 2805 then I noticed Denon has several new models, along with Yamaha that have 7.1, HDMI inputs and outputs, video upconversion using DCDI technology and a host of other features...not as cheap of course as the 2805, but still I feel behind in my receiver options, but I have to wait for this one to begin going bad, but to be honest I haven't had a lick of problems with my YamahaRXV 995...and these things are like Denon...built like tanks. Not problem I'll just enjoy a friend's new purchase at ad. Have a good one.
    MovieDud
    congrats on the copy!

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@MovieDud

Thanks for all the info and advice. CloneDVD2 sounds like my speed. Will look into it (as well as that movie which gear isn't trying to duplicate; must be a great flick).

@Darien:

Gear is right: you've got a great piece of equipment, try all your options, see what works and what you like. Best way to learn and know for sure. Darien, can you bi-wire your speakers? My 3805 has bi-amping/wiring capability; I'll check to see if your's does. Not every one is into it and I can see why. Usually doesn't matter much but with me it does because of the stuff I listen to. Keep us posted on how you're making out with your new toy!

@gear

Temp has dropped nearly fifty degrees since yesterday and will be down to 20 tomorrow. Should have stayed in Miami. Got a lot of chuckles reading your gearhead comments; you're a pretty funny guy!

@all...I pity the guy who tries to follow this particular thread! Have a great one!...Gerry

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
  10. gear79

gear79 Guest

i follow this thread just fine Gerry.... i like multi-tasking. from dvd players, to well, just to sum it all up, i dabble in it all here now that i have found AD..

did i mention my wife's dog was murdered ? little chiwawa (spelling)
    she is heart broken.

did i also mention, not in this thread i am sure, but another...

my new yammy, 2 weeks after i bought it, it went tits up...
    had a bad DSP board, they gave me a new unit, but i was furious. they told me they had to order it from yamaha, straight from japan, was gonna take a month to get and fix... i demanded a new unit, i did not pay all that money for a refurbished unit, even though it was covered by warranty. i am sure all of you would not want to drop that much money and then get a refurbed unit... i also got me some free banana plugs for my bitching... i had paid cash for it, so i demanded some compensation, and i got it.

anyway, i have babbled on long enough.

its a cool 40 degrees f here gerry, got my jacket on and the heaters going in the shop.... boss dont like it cuz we have the doors open too, he says we are wasting money... oh well, i dont pay the bills here.

see ya all later..

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@gear: Chiwawas? I'm a dog lover but never cared for those little critters much...murdering one, however, is rather extreme. Do you know who did it? (Tell the truth, gear, did the little guy hamstring you or something?) Had to put down my mastiff last year; very unpleasant business. Miss the ol' boy. People asked how I could have a dog that big in an apartment and thought I was mean: they never realized that dogs like that do nothing but eat and sleep and snore really loud and absolutely loath the idea of exercise...but they do drool and fart a lot in their few waking moments (come to think of ot, he drooled and farted a lot in his sleep too). I decided that I'm going to get a new DVD player which will be used a lot for CDs; will be asking for opinions. Have a good one!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
  12. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ gerry, i have the LG LDA-511, plays everything i throw at it, even .avi files (check the dvd's forums) i have been there too. and, it has HDMI upconversion. best buy has it for 150. everyone talks about the phillips 642 (i think) and it dont have nowhere near the options as mine does. but do the research. just don't buy the LG LDVB-418 (i had it and returned it, lip sync problems).

anyway, as far as my wife's dog, another dog killed him. heard em at 3:30 am fighting, my Lab was trying to protect him i guess, she was going nuts. but they (the chiwawa and the other dog were in the neighbors yard. he dug a small hole under the fence and got out, he always did it, so i kept him chained up, but it was gonna get cold so we let him in that night, but i went outside for a smoke and he hauled ass outside, i guess he had to go whiz... but he would not come back in. i brought the lab in, she slept in last night, guarded the door too, but looks lost with out he buddy, you can almost see the sadness in her eyes.
    i will post a pic of them tonight when i get home...

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@gear: sorry to hear it; that's nasty. My apologies if I seemed to make light of it.

14. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gear, sorry to hear about your wife's dog. My daughter loves the little chiwawa and I do not blame you at all about the new yammy. People don't realize that when someone invests as much money in Home Theater as much as we do here at AD you better make it right (as in the company that produces the equipment). Again sorry and hope the weekend is a good one.
    MovieDud

15. gear79

gear79 Guest

thanks guys, the wife says thanks to, but she is mad at me now.... so i am in trouble..... but then again, whats new !! haha

i am gonna go watch stealth again.... have you seen the movie all the way to the end yet? it leaves off for a part 2, i noticed that this morning while shrink was shrinking........ haha !

16. darien87

darien87 Member

Hey guys. Got the 2805 today. It's one sturdy piece of equipment. However one vital piece was missing; the damn power cord!!! I guess that's what I get for buying something cheap off eBay. The guy's supposed to be sending me another one. I'll probably just go to Radio Shack and buy one though. I can't set the thing up for a couple of days anyway. I've gotta wait for a day when the wife's out of the house. She doesn't know I bought the damn thing. She gets hella pissed when I buy things that are frivilous to her.

17. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@darien, you are a brave man...I do the same thing and then act innocent or in the unknown. That's odd about the power cord. Hey, congrats and enjoy. I set up a friend's Denon several months back and it took me a couple of hours (I've work with electronics, especially Home Theater for a long time.). Denon, Yamaha, Sony ES series, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo...the list is long and every receiver has it's own style, character and learning curve...especially Denon and Yamaha.
    Enjoy!
    MovieDud

18. gear79

gear79 Guest

yup, each one is unique, but same products (name wise) carry over distinct traits. well, now that you got it from e-bay.......... i can't say that was 100% wise, because now you dont have the power cord, plus you are not 100% familiar with the product. i hope all works well and everything is as promised by the seller...

here is my dogs, when the little one was still around.... aint that cute! [​IMG]

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Congrats Darien! When the wife's away, set the whole thing up, light some candles, make it romantic and rent a seriously sappy movie with good sound. Would she love you for it or, as in my case, laugh you out of the room?

Best of luck and keep us posted when you set up. Gear and Movie have far more knowledge of such things then I do but I did set up my Denon with only minimal difficulty so if there's anything I can answer should the need arise, please don't hesitate. Gerry

20. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gear79, hello friend, showed my daughter the picture and she thought they were cute. She really wants a dog, but we have three cats.
    Have a good one.
    MovieDud