1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-2805 vs Yamaha RX-V750

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by hammer931, Nov 24, 2004.

1. hammer931

hammer931 Member

Can anyone recommend which receiver is better. I'm looking at buying one of these receivers. They both run around 400 dollars. Thanks Also what would be some good speakers to go with this outfit...

2. erickwan

erickwan Member

the amp damm good i buy TX-SV909PRO about 262W per/ch and TX-DS989VER2 360W per/ch no need subwoofer at all and this useing 7.1 surround but TX-SV909PRO can up to 13.1 surround if u add on

For TX-SV909PRO can have 4 central speaker
    4 L/R speaker 6 Surround speaker 1 subwoofer (IF YOU ADD ON MORE POWER AMP)

Features of both amplifer

WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)
    Impact and sound purity that conventional receivers can't match, from three distinct advantages: 1. Low negative feedback design; 2. Elimination of ground-potential fluctuations; 3. High instantaneous capability.

More About this Feature
    Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
    Enlarge Image
    Less than half the typical amount of attenuation is needed, so signals never come close to the noise floor.

More About this Feature
    Audiophile-Grade Parts
    The massive troidal power transformer, with secondary windings and independent ground connections to isolate each channel from crosstalk and AC-line linterfaces, is the kind you find only in high-end audio equipment. Huge custom-designed Audio Tuned Reference capacitors give you greater power delivery at low frequencies, plus tremendous continuous power reserves during the most dynamic sound effects and musical surges. For hi-fi purists, large multi-emitter output transistors provide faster switching speed, which translates into a wider dynamic range.

THX Ultra2 Certified
    THX Surround EX
    Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II
    DTS, DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix 6.1, DTS®96/24, DTS Neo:6
    192 kHz/24-Bit Audio D/A Converters
    24-bit Dual CRYSTAL Chips
    Reduced NFB (Negative Feedback) Design
    Non-Scaling Configuration
    A-Form Listening Mode Memory
    Zone 2 Multiroom/Multisource Capability

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/av_components/av_receivers/tx-ds989_ver2/index.html

3. hammer931

hammer931 Member

can any recommend which receiver to purchase the Denon AVR-2805 or the Yamaha RXV-750. Both are arond 400 dolars

4. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

I would deffinately go with the Denon 2805, that is if you can get it for around $400. That's a fantastic deal and an incredible reciever.

5. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Oh, Check out Paradigm for your speakers as well.... they have been in the "best buy" dollar for dollar to so many publications and for so long you can't go wrong.. It all depends on how much you want to spend!

6. hammer931

hammer931 Member

Does anyone know if Klipsch speakers are as good as Paradigm.

7. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Most Klipsch speakers use a "horn" for there tweeter...this "typically" does not sound as good or percise as conventional dome tweeters but the advatage is... LOUD SOUND.. they can be played at much louder sounds than others...

The Klipsch reference line is very good but I have had the opertunity to listen them at a local store directly next to Paradigms "reference" series and there was no comparison..all the sales guys agreed with me. Both used all the same equipment and cables, just a simple switch box to control the speakers. Paradigms "Reference" is Far supperior in sound, quality, and looks. I thought the paradigm "monitor" series were more of a sound equivilant to the Klipsch "reference" series. And Paradigm was far less expessive comparing those lines.

Check out Paradigms home page and all there awards.. very impressive!

8. bnieman

bnieman Member

If I may ask, where can I purchase the Denon AVR-2805 for $400? Cheapest I can find is $600. Any help would be appreciated, THANKS!

9. hammer931

hammer931 Member

I appolagize, The price on Pricegrabber.com was 550.00

10. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

that is still a great price and worth every penny. I know that reciever personaly (my friend owns it) and have read many reviews that are all "Highly recommended"

11. hammer931

hammer931 Member

Hey Razz1234 what kind of speakers do you recommend for the receiver, have you done any shopping around??

12. RCBabcock

RCBabcock Member

I'd go with the Denon. I also don't care that much for horn speakers, but the top models from Klipsch at least do horn loading properly. Monitor Audio speakers sound great with Denon receivers- there's some real synergy at work there.

Be wary buying Denon, though, from a non-authorized dealer. If you do so, you may get a great price, but Denon will not honor the warranty. If you get a low enough price, it may be worth the risk. Normally I'm a big fan of buying online, but on a Denon unit, I'd buy that from a local authorized dealer. Caveat emptor.

13. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

monitor audio speakers do sound good. And that is some very good advise RC.

Personaly, I have Paradigm "Reference" speakers all around and the Servo 15 Sub. So I'm kind of partial to the paradigm speakers. I have a Denon unit 3805 and it's a wonderful set up, Denon makes a top notch reciever...It's kind of pricey (for me)but i felt that it is very much worth it. The 2805 is a great buy for the dollar.

Many people look into setting up a home theater in their house and GREATLY underestimate the importance of GOOD SOUND. It has soooo much effect in the movie.

I still would highly recommend the Denon and Paradigm speakers... Stretch you pocket book with these! You'll be glad you did! I know too many people who have bought speakers and then said to me, "now i wish i would have gone for the better speakers" or "I want to upgrade them now".... It's usually after having a decent set up that people start to realize how good sound can be. Most people who just opted for the "home theater in a box" don't realize what they are missing so it doesn't really matter to them (no offence people). But with a nice reciever such as the Denon 2805 you will know the difference in your speakers for sure.....so go BIG!

Let me know what you decide.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2004
  14. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Hi all,

I've also been looking at the Denon's 2805 vs 3805. I've decided the 2805 has all the features I need, I'll put the rest of my $$ into speakers.

But a question - do any of you have experience with refurbished units? I've found a 2805 from an authorized dealer listed as a BStock unit. It was refurbished by Denon, so it should be in good working order, but not sure how it would compare to a NIB unit.

Thanks!

15. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Ghost,
    I have always bought new units and was a little too worried about the "B-stock" when it came to my equipment.

But the 3805 that I own, I actually bought on e-bay as a "b-stock" unit. One thing though....

[bold] Go to Denon's web site and make sure the dealer is listed there as an authorized dealer [/bold]

here is the site,
    http://www.usa.denon.com/dealers/dealers.asp?l=1#REFURB

Many dealers will tell you they are an authorized Denon dealer and they really aren't. So if something goes wrong they will end up feeding you a line of BS and you will end up reaching deep into your pocket.

I bought mine from dakmart.com through ebay and mine arived in tip top shape, no problems, and a great buy. It has a year warrenty backed by Denon, they are listed at Denon as an authorized "b-stock" dealer. But, if i had a problem with the unit, i would still have to pay for shipping.... and on the 3805 thats a lot. Thats why i used to always stay with a local shop.

Still, Take RC's advice and beware.

The 2805 is a fantastic reciever and you will be very happy with it.

16. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Razz, thanks much, I appreciate your comments. Dakmart is the site I've been visiting 2-3 times per day for the past week or so... I'm really happy to hear that yours came in good shape, that was really a key consideration. Today might have to be the day! I was bouncing between the 3805 and 2805, but they both received excellent reviews, and I'm working with a relatively small space.

So can I get into a set of Paradigms for around 1K? I guess I need a center, fronts, and 2 or 3 rear speakers (are 3 rears necessary). Or any other good alternatives in that price range? I already have a subwoofer, picked up the Outlaw's LFM-1 earlier this year, dynamite piece of equipment.

Thx again,
    Ghost

17. ghost640

ghost640 Member

18. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Ghost,
    Sounds like you have a good plan. If your working with a 1k budget and you have a medium/small space i would recommend going with the 2805 and only 2 surrounds.
    If your main consideration is Home Theater, then consider bipole/dipole speakers for your surrounds (They will cost you more).
    Your in good shape if you already have a good sub. All that is left for you is to try out some speakers.

[bold] Don't buy speakers without listnening to them first [/bold]

go to you local speaker guy (or not so local) and LISTEN to the differences in speaker. You can't do this at a department store, there is too much background and other distracting noice there. Also, most department stores will not use the same connections and equipment on all speakers. Local speaker guys will set it up so you can compare speaker to speaker. Most local guys will even have there own listening rooms.
    [bold] Take your time and bring familiar listening music with you [/bold]

And don't buy anything on your first visit.
    I can't tell you what exactly to buy people like different sounds from different speakers, and looks!
    Let us know what you got.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2004
  19. ghost640

ghost640 Member

OK, I've got a 2805 on the way. I'm jazzed!

Turns out the one high end audio place in town is a Paradigm dealer, so I'll get a chance to check out some systems under good listening conditions.

This is for an HT system, found some interesting reading on bi/dipole, and one on speaker placement:
    http://www.jamo.de/consumer/placementguide/

Our couch is up against the back wall of the room, so we'll definitely need something that can 'scatter' the sound.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  20. hammer931

hammer931 Member

can anyone suggest outdoor speakers to go with the denon receiver. It is 7.1 so I need to do something with the other 2. I only want to setup 5.1