1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-2805 vs Yamaha RX-V750

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by hammer931, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

not sure about outdoor speakers.

I ran two outdoor as well and left a 5.1 inside. It's so nice, you can play all 7 on stereo or switch too have two different source on at the same time.

I play XBOX inside on Dolby Digital 5.1 and the wife listens to CD/music stations/or radio out side..... Such a great feature!!!!!!

2. orpheus01

orpheus01 Guest

I am new .. so ..

I want to replace my Onkyo DS555 and may be my Polk RMSS 6500 - depending on how they sound with the replacement receiver. Through some research I've been looking at the Yamaha RX-V2400, Onkyo TX-SR702 and now (thanks to you guys) the Denon AVR-3805. Audioholics and Home Theater seem to love the Yamaha. From the thread(?) the Denon seems to be favored.

I am looking for experience to help direct me in the right direction. Any words of wisdom?

Thank you in advance.

Michael

3. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

dont know too much about which receiver is better, but i did just buy a harmon kardon avr 335. The styling is awesome, and it seems pretty nice so far. got it for 500 after shipping and everything, it came out for 800 in october.

4. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

I am not a fan of Onkyo, I would go with the Denon because I'm a big Denon fan.....ease of use, performance, it has it all... the Denon 3805 is VERY hard to beat!!!! It truely is a top notch reciever! Check out review of all your recievers here...

http://audioreview.com/

Denon usually comes up as one of the Best reviewed recievers out there.

I read many mags. and the Denon 3805 came up with many "best of the year" type deals for last year.

I can't recommend it enough!

5. ghost640

ghost640 Member

I've been playing around with the 2805 for a week and am very impressed with it. It has a great number of options for various sound sources, and was relatively easy to set up. The ability for the receiver to calibrate itself with the supplied microphone is way cool.

Both the 3805 and 2805 have received excellent reviews in the stereo mags.

6. orpheus01

orpheus01 Guest

jetyi83, Razz1234, and ghost640

Thank you for your input. I am sold on the Denon 3805. Razz1234 you purchased b-stock- I take it that is refurbished?

I am now looking at speakers - I am looking at Definitive Tech, RBH Sound, Axiom Audio, Mordaunt-Short, and Paradigm (thanks Razz). Axiom Audio and Mordaunt-Short may get ruled out - Mordaunt-Short dealer is back east and Axiom is direct (with 30 return).

Thank you for the input - any more would be appreciated.

Michael

7. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Hi Orpheus,

I'm looking at the Monitor Audio line of speakers, which have gotten good reviews. Here is what I'm considering

Fronts - MA Silver S2 (better than S1, but not towers)
    Surrounds - FXi (dipole/bipole)
    Center - MA SLCR (mixed feelings on this one, $465 seems expensive for a center channel speaker)

This whole setup will run ~$1600

8. orpheus01

orpheus01 Guest

ghost640 - Thank you for the info. I am looking at reviews and their website now. Please let me know what you decide on. It's amazing the number of high quality low cost speaker systems out there. Like you I want to be carful.

MIchael

9. hammer931

hammer931 Member

Can anyone suggest good speaker wire for a denon receiver and klipsch speakers. Also the wire for the subwoofer.

10. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Interesting experience - I ordered a pair of Monitor Audio FXi's from an online source yesterday, today I got this message:

--
    We were advised recently that MONITOR AUDIO SURROUND SPEAKER, 15-200WTS, 6 OHM => Model SILVER FXI SURROUND (Black) has been discontinued and the new shipment of those units will not arrive. Fortunately, there is a replacement model for MONITOR AUDIO SILVER FXI SURROUND (Black), that is MONITOR AUDIO Silver SFX (Pair). This product is currently on special for $541.00 (Regular Price $700.00). This unit is Brand New (Grade A), in the original manufacturer's box and it is currently in stock. Please advise us if you are interested in this product and we'll process your order right away.

The direct link to MONITOR AUDIO Silver SFX on our website is: http://brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=7764&step=4
    ---

So that's it - does anyone know anything about the FXi's? Are they really discontinued, or is this a bait and switch? The SFX's look pretty good, but they're not billed as surrounds, as were the FXi's. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ghost

PS - I bought a dedicated subwoofer cable, the one from Acoustic Research, it works fine.

11. orpheus01

orpheus01 Guest

12. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Excellent Michael, thanks for the quick response! It does look like these supercede the FXi's. I'll sleep on it tonight...

13. orpheus01

orpheus01 Guest

Ghost - Did you sort out your speakers??

Michael

14. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Yes and no!

Based on the note you sent and a PM conversation I've been having with RC, I decided to go with the SFXs.

So I put in an order last Friday. I sent a query to the company on Monday, since I hadn't heard from them, and they sent me a note that the order for the SFXs "had been fully processed". Then I got a note today that the order for the FXi's "had been fully processed".

So now I'm waiting to see which ones show up! (Maybe I'll end up with a 7.1 system after all...)

15. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Hi, thought I'd update this, since the thread is irritreviably off topic anyway.

The speakers were delivered yesterday - they are Monitor Audio SFX surrounds, which is a good thing (the successor to the FXi's, and about $50 more).

They sound fantastic. We tried them out with the Pod race from Episode I - the separation is very clear; they balance well with the rest of the system, and match very well with the 2805. I'm a happy camper.

They came new-in-box, perfect condition. They were configured in bipole mode, I switched them over to dipole. I wish this were a switchable system, rather than base on wiring (you cross over the wires to a 2nd set of terminals to switch to bipole), because it would be interesting to compare them back & forth.

I'll start another thread sometime on surround setup positions, since I've been playing around with them. But so far, all's well!