1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deny access to an external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by johnc1234, May 27, 2007.

1. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

hello,

i have just been looking more into the sharing access of windows. when suddenly i realized another user can view all of my files on my external hard drive. I was wondering if you could put a lock on it so only i have access to it. The HDD is a FAT32 System, and I am running XP Home edition operating system. thanks.

Est. 1991

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

You don't need to "lock" it...just don't share it.

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

When you refer to "sharing access" you mean on a network correct? You don't mean you sharing the physical pc

4. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

I cant just "dont share it", it doesnt let me make the folder private.

No i mean deny access to other users on the PC itself. I can logon to even the guest user and it has access to it. I read that you can convert to an NTFS format and then it has a security tab to deny access, but i think it it only on an XP pro OS. help me out here

5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Home edition doesn't support XP's encrypted drive file system. You'll have to find other software to encrypt the contents of the drive and make it accessible only by password.

Other than that....I'd just keep the drive unattached unless you need it.

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I would take a look into TrueCrypt a excellent pice of freeware. With it you can encrypt anything from a file to a folder, to a entire hard drive. And there are many encryption methods available, some basic won't be cracked by the people in your house, and some so secure the goverment would have a heck of a time trying to get anything off of it.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

7. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

yerr i do really. All my itunes mp3s are on there. so unattatching it is a pain in the ass when i open itunes, and ive got some apps installed on there too. oh feck it