1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop a weird color?!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by NewTech17, Apr 12, 2005.

1. NewTech17

NewTech17 Member

Since yesterday I have noticed that the desktop that appears after a while that you have not used your computer has turned from the normal black to red.I have always left it the same way it came when I bought it with The little multicolor Microsoft flag floating around yet now the background is red. It also happened when I turn off or on my computer. Today when I shut it off a very bright red line sparkled at the bottom.

I've tried everything. Has this weird thing ever happened to anyone. Can someone help me return it back to it's normal state?

2. ~RoNin~

~RoNin~ Regular member

are you talking about the screensaver...?

Might be time to get a new monitor.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

change your screensaver

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Make sure that your connections from your monitor to your Graphics card is plugged in properly and tighten on both monitor and card.

Try resetting your monitor colors as well.

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Bring up the blackest screen you can find. Now Push a button on the monitor to get the settings menu up. Does that menu also have this red tint? If so the problem is your monitor. IF not then it could indicate a Bent or missing pin where the Montior plugs into the computer or the Video card is having trouble.

Did lightning strike next to the computer location? If so the magnetic field arround the lightning can mess up the phosphorus without dmaging any electronics. This usualy causes a rainbow effect. Any other strong magnetic field will give the same result. So dont put your magnets on your CRT monitor.

If This is a LCD screen Then either a bent pin or Vid card. You could try removing and re-installing the video card. I don't expect much sucess acording to your discription.

Hope this helps
    -Del

6. NewTech17

NewTech17 Member

Maybe I did not explain this well. Let me see... it's not the screensaver. I could change the screeensaver all I want and it still looks perfect. it's the desktop. You know when you stop using the computer for a wgile and it goes to that black screen with little microsoft flag (or whatever) flying around? That's the one. It's a red color. I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast and such and it only makes it worse. The red color also shows up when I shut down or turn on the computer and the screen when it's supposed to be black.

It's also a practically brand new monitor. I bought the computer two years ago. The only problem I've ever had with the monitor is that the cord in the back dissconnects often when I move it even just slightly. Thanks for trying to help nontheless I'll see what I can do.

7. ddp

check if has onscreen menu there is a reset or default setting

8. chiaro

chiaro Member

I, too, have been having the same problem with my monitor in the last few days. It's a 6-month old ViewSonic. The bright red desktop also has a few diagonal lines going through it. It shows up at start-up or when I shut down Windows, but it doesn't happen every time. This has happened only in the last few days, but on looking back I realize that I had noticed a slight red tinge creeping into the green color I normally have on my desktop over the last 2-3 months. I never had any problem with desktop/monitor color before, not even when I had a very old cheap monitor. Going into desktop properties doesn't help; neither does fiddling with the manual settings. The screensaver "desktop", however, is still black. I, too, would like to know how to fix this.

9. chiaro

chiaro Member

Mr_Del mentioned magnetic fields. Might a broadband (cable) Internet connection create this problem with the desktop color?

10. ddp

speakers maybe, cable modem unlikely!! is the problem all over the screen or certain areas?? change your screen saver to see if problem follows or not!

11. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

If this is a magnetic field problem then it would only apply to a CRT monitor. You mention diagonal Lines. That alone would rule out magnetic field problems. You owned this monitor for 3 months and it has been in the same exact place with the same exact setup the whole time. Now for no reason you get this red looking stuff.

Just as DDP mentioned, If this red is the same over the entire screen then there is a hardware problem. If it is only in one or 2 spots then it could be magnetic. It could also mean the phosphorus in those areas have gone bad for some reason. Phosphorus damage will not change in shape or pattern. It may become larger but will not receed.

From your descrption though I do not think it is magnetic. No a cable wire will not cause any problems. I think you have a hardware problem and I am aiming at your video card. Unless of couse the Montior tube is going bad. Now here is a test to try. When you have this red tint hit the menu button on the monitor. Does the menu also have this red tint or is it free from it? If none of the red effects the menu then the problem is in the computer. If the menu does not open in the red area move it there if you can. If the menu is also covered by this red tint the the problem is the monitor. Bent pins is counted as part of the computer.

-Del

12. chiaro

chiaro Member

The menu seems to be affected by the color, so I guess the problem is with the monitor. Thanks everyone.

13. ddp

no problem, teach & learn