1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop PC Dead - plz help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LufianGuy, Nov 30, 2009.

1. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

This is one of the worst things to happen to me in awhile. I am seriously stressed because it feels like I lost an arm.

My desktop pc froze and I turned it off by holding the power button (I have done this multiple times before with no problems).

Now when I turn on my computer on it tries to boot Windows XP Home but restarting and going back to a black screen that says:
    safe mode
    safe mode w networking
    safe mode w command prompt
    use last known good configuration (only good for 1 chance that failed)
    boot windows normally

I have tried everyone of these options and they keep going back to this screen. I don't know what this means specifically, I have never not been able to boot into safe mode.

I am on a friend's labtop typing this, my modem still works with my computer, so I still have internet.

I would rather not reinstall windows unless I have to.

I can get into my bios setup and have an official windows xp pro cd.

So how do we fix this?

Please help in any way possible, it is very much appreciated.

EDIT
    I have been looking for answers on the internet and found some good web sites here:
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6031733.html
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-10878-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=188890&messageID=1939474
    http://ask-leo.com/my_computer_locks_up_and_wont_boot_what_do_i_do.html
    http://www.mediaworkstation.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/cw_boot_toot.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

It seems I should try to run checkdisk on my C through the recovery console. If you repair an installation does it still wipe all the files off? Would it be ok for me to try to repair the installation of XP Home with XP Pro?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. jony218

jony218 Guest

first thing is to run a chkdsk c: /f . That will fix this problem 99 percent of the time. I've encountered this problem several times with my xp computer, it always occurs when I do an abnormal shutdown (you can get away with doing it a couple of times but it will eventually corrupt your system files).

If the chkdsk doesn't work, your next step is to use the free "testdisk", this software has more powerful tools to recover a corrupt system drive. Some people here in the forum have had good success with this software.

You can use the your windows installation cd to get into the repair console to type in the necessary command. If possible make a bartpe cd, all you need is your installation cd to make it. When I encounter this problem I always use the bartpe to run the chkdsk command. You need to get a good chkdsk done. If the chkdsk only finishes halfway etc, you need to try a scandisk (with boxes to fix errors checked) instead.

I have had a 100 percent success rate recovering from this problem without losing any data. Windows repair installation should be your last resort if a chkdsk or testdisk doesnt fix it.

3. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Thanks for your reply. I agree with what you said and plan to follow your advice. Now I can sleep calmly knowing this can be easily fixed.

I have a problem though, my windows xp home cd is gone (don't know how, think I loaned it and it never got returned) and that is the cd used to install windows on this computer.

Questions:
    1. I do have my windows xp pro cd handy (I will never lose this one), so is it ok to use this instead?

2. How do you make a bartpe cd?

3. To make sure I do this right, what should I type it for the checkdisk command (maybe CHKDSK /P)?

4. The ms page says /p and /r are CHKDSK options, is /f one also?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

5. Would it be wise for me to install the xp recovery console as a startup option for my computer after this horrible experience?

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

1.) I don't think this will work...not only must it be the same version (home, pro, etc), it must also be the same licence type (OEM, Retail, Corportate, etc). If the issue is just that you don't have a license for XP Pro, don't feel too bad...Microsoft stole so much of XP that they are no longer allowed to sell it in the world's largest country...and no one feels sorry for a theif who gets robbed.

2.) http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

3.) chkdsk c: /p /r

4.) /F is an option...if you use /F, it will just fix known errors; it will not try to find errors.

5.) I don't see much point...bart tools will serve you much better; and that just sits on a CD/DVD until you need it.

5. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Thanks for your reply. I agree.

I DIDN'T STEAL MY WINDOWS, THE DISC IS MISSING!! Makes sense with the current luck I am experiencing. I don't think I lost it because it was in a ziplock bag with all my other restore discs in a drawer at my computer desk. It was a red cd while all the others were silver. I am going to search for this hardcore today.

I'm just getting more upset here. I can't find my windows xp home install disc and I looked at my windows xp pro disc yesterday and found out its OEM (I don't know the difference in any of the installer types). I bought it from newegg for $150 maybe 1-2yrs ago.

I thought this was a regular full retail version and it says for system builders only. So I guess I am just completely screwed here.

Questions:
    1. So if I can't repair, I should just hope for a clean install of xp pro right?

2. Can I still get to recovery console using the xp pro cd and run chkdsk c: /f?

3. Should I go out and buy the RETAIL version of windows xp pro?

4. A friend has windows xp home and pro cds from dell, will those work for me?

5. Could I download windows xp home to a cd and try that? I have my product key wrote down so its legit.

Again, thank you for all the help and it is greatly appreciated. It seems I am making all the mistakes an idiot would.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as far as i know & seen, all ms windows disks are silver so what gives with the red disk?

7. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

It was a custom made compaq presario 8000 series desktop pc we bought from bestbuy, I figure thats why it was colored red (the sticker side, the other side was silver).

Its 1 of many restore disks compaq made (others are for other software and such such as roxio and soundblaster).

Do you think that cd was OEM?

8. ddp

yes. what was custom made in the compaq?

9. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Thanks for the help.

I don't think it was a custom part, we just chose the parts that made the computer. On the dead computer I had a link to page with its stats, I'll try to dig it up:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca〈=en&product=240406

I changed the graphics card here (also check for comp stats cpuz):
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-111/need_help_upgrading_graphics_card_to_program_xna-804846/

I am so hating myself because I think I loaned the windows home cd to my older sister who lost it, and now I screwed myself.

I would be ok to do a clean install with the OEM Windows XP Pro Right?

Could I aquire windows xp home to a cd and try that?
    I have my product key wrote down so its legit.

10. ddp

oem is for dell, hp, compaq, acer & other name brands. retail is for clone computers you build or have built for you at a local computer store.

11. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

The computer was built for us at bestbuy, so I guess that means the cd is the retail version then.

I have my product key wrote down in the ziplock bag with all the stuff pertaining to this computer. Would we be able to tell what version it is by looking at the product key?

So would be it ok for me to aquire windows xp home retail and use that to run chkdsk and try to repair windows?

I made a mistake and bought OEM Windows XP Pro, but it seems I should be able to clean install it if I want right?

12. ddp

oem for what manufacturer? did you get key number with it? should be able to use retail home to repair your windows.

13. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Thank you DDP, I will try to do that.

I wrote down 1 code on a piece of paper, I assume that is the product key or something.

14. ddp

my xp pro is 5 groups of 5 letters & numbers.

15. jony218

jony218 Guest

Get what ever xp cd (home/pro/oem )you have and make the bartpe bootcd. It will take 15 minutes to make it. The bartpe program will get the necessary files from the i386 folder in the xp cd.

The bartpe will boot up your computer and let you run the necessary repairs. I always use the chkdsk c: /f and that has always worked for me.

No need to buy windows xp again. Once you get xp to bootup again, get an imaging software (many free ones available) and make a image backup. That will let you restore your computer without reinstalling windows.

Worst case scenario, you can remove the drive from the computer and install it on a external usb enclosure and run a scandisk (with boxes to fix errors checked) from a working computer.

16. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Thanks for all the help guys.

My older sis has 1 xp home and 1 pro cd she is going to give me to use and I bet the xp home is the one I am missing.

I also have friends ready to let me try to use their install cds also.

Is there a way to test which one I should make the bartpe cd with?

I will make the bartpe cd with one of them and hope it works.

Also I would try the worst case scenario, but this is an IDE Hard Drive and all of my friends run SATA or labtop. To make it worse I have never installed a hard drive into an external enclosure and am afraid I would break it.

I think my worst case scenario is that I will have to do a clean install with my OEM Windows XP Pro cd if nothing works.

My friend also wants to do imaging software, so could you please recommend some of the good free ones to me and maybe a newbie guide if its necessary. I will make use of all information given to me.

17. jony218

jony218 Guest

The newest xp cd will have the latest drivers. That's the one to use.

As far as image software a good free one is DriveImage XML, it has a plugin that you can add into your bartpe. That way you can use the bartpe also as a imaging software.

Many people also use the free macrium reflect. It is a basic image software.

But you shouldn't have to reinstall windows, the chkdsk should get your computer running again. It has never fail me yet.

18. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I hope so too, because ever since this has happened I have been horribly stressed out. My world isn't right without my desktop pc working.

Much more, I can't do my hw for programming class.

I won't have those cds until friday, so I have to wait until then.

19. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Now it get worse.

Add a dead labtop to count also.

My younger sis called cuz she needed me to do something on her vista sony vaio.

Here is what happened:
    History:
    1st boot: Labtop bluescreens and restarts - sister says it happens a lot
    2nd boot: Windows says explorer needs to shut down and restarts - sister says it happens a lot
    3rd boot: Takes a long time for everything to get done, send the email. Windows updated the wifi card and attempted to update vista, that update failed. Scheduled a disk check. Restarted computer.
    4th boot: Disk Check says its ok, boots windows fine. Battery is near dead at this point, so I turned off the labtop and plugged it in for charging overnight.
    5th boot (this morning): Labtop can't boot windows, tried all options, tells me to get the windows cd and do a repair. I get a bluescreen error sometimes, but it goes by too fast for me to read what its saying and I'm not sure how to disable auto restart on her labtop.

This scares me because it makes it seem like I am doing something to cause this, but I don't think I am. My older sis installed vista to this labtop so she should have the vista cd.

Now I am scared to even touch a computer, I don't think I caused this though. This may be a virus at this point.

Ultimately though, this will be fixed by a clean install of a windows OS correct?

I need something to calm down all this stress, I will forever be blamed for this for the rest of my life.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  20. jony218

jony218 Guest

you need to do a scandisk (with the 2 boxes to fix errors checked). Without those boxes checked, nothing gets checked. Scandisk with the boxes checked is the same as doing a chkdsk c: /f.

If you don't have the vista installation dvd to run repairs, the neosmart website hosts the "repair" section of the dvd on it's website. It's bootcd that will bootup a vista computer and let you run repairs. (used by those that bought a computer that didn't come with the Vista installation dvd).

Both computers seem to have corrupt system files, easily repaired in most cases.