1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop PC Dead - plz help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LufianGuy, Nov 30, 2009.

1. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

It fixed my SM Bus problem.

Nevermind it is onboard, the ethernet plugs into a golden section in the back that is on my mobo.

My cards go like this from right to left:
    AGP ATI Graphics Card
    Sound Card
    56k card (has 2 phone plugs on the back)
    USB 2.0 4 port PCI card

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the actual ethernet connector, is it in the expansion slots or in with the usb, ps2 & sound ports?

3. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

It is a little golden hub next to the graphics card attached to the mobo.

It has a steady orange light on the right and a green light is blinking on the left of it.

I am guessing I might have to call hp about this, not sure if verizon could help me.

I can take a picture of it all tomorrow if it helps.

4. ddp

5. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I'm online using a labtop downstairs, the desktop doesn't recognize that I have an internet connection, so I don't think I run any online scans.

In option 2 I only see graphics drivers.

Are there any programs or anything I could install that could attempt to find the drivers for me?

I might be able to find them on my computer restore discs.

6. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Success!!

A unified driver set for nvidia worked, so now I am connected to the internet again.

I'm going to do some windows updating and take an image of my computer, thanks!

Only thing that may go wrong now is my slave drive.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. ddp

you should be alright with that as i have a number of external drives with no problems after doing reloads of xp.

8. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Yes you are right, my slave came back perfectly.

I got drivers for everything that needed them and I am working on getting my computer back to normal.

I have took 1 image with macrium reflect so far and plan to take another one later today after I run full scans with:
    AVG
    Malwarebytes
    Ad-aware

Also I can now stream anime to my xbox and wii without having to put my computer into safe mode, its great.

Sadly my friend caught some virus on his computer yesterday because he was running IE with no virus or malware programs. He had like 5 rundll's going and it blocked him from installig anti-virus and malware programs. He managed to install AVG free but the scanner only scanned like 1 file and said scan complete.

He has the windows xp home sticker on his tower with his product key, so we are going to burn him an xp home sp3 cd.

Hopefully this is the end of all our computer problems. I hope macrium reflect is a godsend.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  9. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  10. ddp

could also be the key is for a lower version sp xp, xp sp1 instead of xp sp3.

11. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

That makes sense but also makes the job harder >.<

Well I have Dell OEM XP Home SP1 and SP3 cds here, so lets hope he doesn't need SP2.

I'm also bringing over cpuz and pc wizard over to see if we can find his missing drivers (ethernet and sound among many).

12. ddp

can't use oem disks on non oem computers.

13. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

It is an e-machines computer and my friend says the ms sticker on the tower also said e-machines.

So that means its an OEM version of windows right?

14. ddp

dell xp on dell computers, hp xp on hp computers only. retail xp can be used on both oem & clone computers as long as it has key code with disk.

15. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  16. ddp

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Wow, I am kind of amazed LufianGuy has solved his problem, kind of guessing he is not a techie but hung in there after so many different opinions, I didn't understand 90% of them let alone apply them, but he hung in there and solved it thanks to the guys on this thread.

ddp, I also have an 8000 series Compaq I bought way back in 2002 from CircuitCity, it was also a custom order, it came with 4 recovery disc's, one for a system restore, another for drivers, and the other two were options to load crap from different vendors, and yes all four are red.

I also had a similar problem with my HP as LufianGuy had several times, always the cause was a driver issue. LufianGuy I betcha your glad your an AD member.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  18. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Yes I am, I love AD. I'm not a techie, but try to soak in everything I am taught. I love my desktop and hate spending money, so I was determined to fix it! I'm always very thankful for all the help I get even when I misunderstand what is being said. I always rep AD to others.

In this case I got very lucky that I could get windows xp pro sp3 free from my college legit and that it worked. I have learned to NEVER loan out my windows cds/dvds.

I also took Macrium Reflect backup images of my desktop and labtop.

My friend still isn't out of the ditch yet though.

We spent a good 3 hours yesterday burning oem xp home sp1-3 to cds and searching for drivers. He is going to try all 3 cds with the product key from the sticker on his tower.

We managed to get all of the drivers working (internet is back thank god) except for the audio (Multimedia Audio Controller) and we even tried like 5 driver finding programs that all said the drivers were out of date (we don't care if they work properly), but didn't give us a driver for audio. We are hoping that when his windows is activated and validated, windows update will fix that issue for us. I figure I'll post up some pictures and see if we can figure it out here.

DriverDetective identified his desktop as an eMachines W3050. I got ticked because I found old forum postings on the net saying eMachines used to have mobo drivers (maybe thats what we need) on their site and now all they have there is a modem driver and card reader driver.

We tried all the unified and nvidia drivers I could find but the audio wouldn't fix. PC Wizard said
    Audio Device: nForce AC'97 Audio Codec Interface.

I figure if we can't get it fixed we will just buy him a $10 PCI audio card (we have to check to see if he has a slot).

CPUZ Mainboard:
    [​IMG]

PC Wizard:
    System Summary:
    [​IMG]
    Mainboard:
    [​IMG]
    Sound:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  19. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Yes I hear ya, keep your restore disc's in a safe place always, as soon as I ever get mine I make a copy to lay around for quick work if needed, as far as my original, that gets locked up, I would never loan it let alone have anybody see it, touch it, smell it etc. So in the future, let this experiance of yours be a lesson, always GUARD your originals.

20. ddp

LufianGuy, did you try that 4th link i posted that does a scan for hardware?