1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop pics (NO flesh pics though)

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by geestar20, Feb 5, 2005.

1. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

They're coming to get you Malaki!!

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Sled Dogs (Alaskan Malamutes) since i have one and i can't post you know who lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

For the record, PC > Mac. Solely a matter of opinion of course. I'm still on XP and will be for some time :p

I like desktop icons... because almost every single one is games... I hate disks with a passion though. CDs more so than DVDs. I use cracked exe's for every game I have(excluding any one with online that I actually play). So I just click the desktop icon and BAM, I have my game :)

It doesn't bother me to have icons over my wallpaper. The desktop is there solely for that purpose. I like to have all my most used programs right there on the screen when I sit down. Plus my collection of game icons which takes up half the screen :D

I don't use any video editing software or anything else really. My machines have always been pretty much media, MSN and gaming. Performance junkie for life :)

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well one B!tch is as good as another. :p Well assuming at least on of those is a female. :p

....gm

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My previous post got me thinking. I needed to organize my desktop bad. So I found something that looks good and ISN'T by Stardock.

It's called Rocket Dock and it's completely, absolutely, no strings attached, FREE. Those with messy desktops should take a look.

It has the option to place dividers so you can group your files. You can shrink the icons so you can put tons of them on it easily and they zoom in when you scroll over. It looks good and has many skins to choose from. I got it to match my Royale Noir Windows XP theme nicely. It is configurable enough for me to comfortably fit 50+ games icons on it without getting too big. And it can be set to autohide and only appear when you scroll over it so it stays out of sight. The animation is smooth and it's very easy on resources. Currently taking about 12MB of RAM and 0% CPU when not in use. Maybe 3-4% CPU when scrolling in it. Crysis and 3Dmark still run the same with RocketDock in the background and there is no spyware AFAIK.

All-in-all, an excellent program. It's like a special drop-down menu for my games right on the desktop. I think I've found a new favorite app :)

And yes, this is on topic. I had to manage my desktop somehow, lol

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

XP > Macs, but I'd probably take OS X over Vista... haha.
    I also use the Royale Noir theme - I didn't after I reformatted, but I got bored of the alternatives, RN is the perfect style - subtle, dark, functional and good looking.

7. engage16

engage16 Regular member

i think i'd rater take ME over Vista.

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Vista is ME2, isn't it? :)

9. engage16

engage16 Regular member

In the fact that its a complete flop yes... But at least ME worked with programs and hardware properly. Never mind the fact that you need 2gb of RAM to run Vista... Haven't tried Vista 64-bit yet though... Heard its alot better than 32bit.

10. varnull

varnull Guest

Word on the street is windows7 june/july next year (2009)..

another one to leave on the shelf?

11. engage16

engage16 Regular member

we'll find out when the RTM hits the bay...

12. varnull

varnull Guest

yarrr.. you wanted a screenshot off katey.. well I'm posting from the floor after taking and uploading one.. not bad on a celeron560 with 128 ram eh? It's supposed to be TinyME.. but seems to have frankensteined into pclinux.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/janrocks/screen202.jpg

Opera is odd, but the fox doesn't have enough ram to be reliable.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  13. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Vista, or XP 64 are great, if you don't want compatibility with most of the software you are running.

I don't know of too many software programs that actually run in 64 bit mode. Most will run in 32 bit mode, even if you have a 64 bit OS.

14. varnull

varnull Guest

Sorry.. M$ don't make software which is compatible with my philosophy on computing in general. Software patents will take us into a dark age of lockdown and restriction....

I supply free systems on loan to exchange students and migrant workers fully equipped and fully functional with free open source software. You can leave your gigs and gigs of ram.. and multi-GHz processors at the door when the requirement is a web browser and thing to read emails and write letters/projects. Most of my "customers" live in places with money in the slot electricity meters.. they want quiet small low power machines which do the basics... and don't encourage burglars.

Low cost community computer access and literacy.. That's a good cause eh? There is more than enough exclusion by poverty in this world without M$ and software patents adding to it.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yep good cause. ;) I like the idea of free software and especially if it's good stuff. :D I still need to mess with the linux OS to get comfortable with it. It's dang fast on a little more RAM than 128MB. :p

...gm

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Thus we see MS' stranglehold on the software industry. I happen to be an Ubuntu user as well and I'd have to say: it's far more gratifying to have a fully functional OS with all the programs I need free and legal. Most of the open source software I use is of high quality and works well.

A good cause indeed. If it makes any difference, all of my idle time is used by Folding @ Home. One of my main motivations for a Quad Core :)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll give you one reason not to use Vista:

"Could not open C:\XP Backups - access has been denied - you do not have permission to open this folder"
    using an administrator account.

18. varnull

varnull Guest

That's because XP backups belongs to group "system" which "administrator" is not a member of.... There are other system backups (like a backup browsing history and in the basic versions a log of every single file you ever ran or installed or changed, with full details) oddly the phone home M$ inbuilt spyware is a member of group "system" tho.. so you don't own your computer now.. M$ do. Feel any more secure?

sheesh.. you would say it is incompetence.. unix built by a moron.. but I think it's more sinister than that.

This is the big reason fista has been shunned by business, and should be avoided at all costs by anybody who doesn't like everything being monitored and logged. Of course.. if you think M$ can be trusted with your private data and are only looking after you then carry on.. remember all the antitrust rulings? case proved they only care about their bottom line, and hollywood..

Nice to know you are running a spyware and drm riddled lump of expensive junk because you are too ignorant and computer illiterate to do otherwise. I have started to see hardware which will only run fista.. it's a rom bios type thing.. all you can install is fista.. attempting to boot anything else is refused. This doesn't sound good.. it's not the bios lock to prevent changes to the MBR.. because a live cd refuses to run for the same "invalid operating system" error.

2 acers and a toshiba so far.

M$ bloggers have filled the internet with ways to install XP.. but if the install cd refuses to boot on some piece of hardware what then?

No Thanks.. I will stick with my older hardware... because I know it's free ;)
    http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For ref, this is not XP's own files, it's files I downloaded and created, mainly my various software applications that I use, Fraps, Steam, etc. It belongs to "Sam Morris" - and my Vista admin username? "Sam Morris"...

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh, but, but, who does Sammy belong too?? hehehee. :p

What varnull posted above is the absolute reason that I've NEVER installed Vista. I've read that or something similar for a few months now from different sources. I'm sure that some are getting good use from it but I personally don't like someone controlling what I do if I can help it. So I control it by NOT installing that crap!!! IF it comes down to it I will learn linux or go with Mac crap if they don't do the same thing. lol.

M$ just needs to provide the product and let the computer and internet police do what they need to do. It's like a car manufacturer selling you a car but having the ability to control the car by remote control (R/C) when they feel that you don't have the ability to do it yourself. LIKE drunk driving. I'm sure there's some good intentions there but they're bad in the end. :p

....gm

add: sorry about not posting a "desktop pic". It's such a mess right now it's not pretty. lol. Wait just remembered the "show desktop icons" control. :D

desktop pic minus icons