1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop pics (NO flesh pics though)

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by geestar20, Feb 5, 2005.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's nice CREAKS.... Is that the "letterbox view" of that movie?? Good movie and I haven't seen it in years, actually I may be confusing that with "House of Wax". ;)

So how you liking Windows 7 thus far?? I know you didn't care for Vista.... as most of us didn't. ;)

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I just stretched the Media Player Classic screen. But i usually play my movies thru the old xboxes where you can easily flick between widescreen etc modes.
    Win7 just works, am not missing XP at all :)
    I only have W7 on this machine now, had it on the AMD laptop but there's no XP or Vista audio drivers available for that laptop so went back to XP on that one. Would love to replace XP on the Quad Core machine but as that machine's only ever switched on to encode or backup movies to the external hard drives i don't see the point yet (it's too noisy anyway). These days I tend to just temporarily hook up the external drives containing movie backups to this W7 pc and watch via the xbox. My netbook is always on *cough* download *cough* duty so i don't want to mess about upgrading that one, and again there's not much point as it's not used for anything else. Most of my other machines are either too old for W7 and/or are perfectly happy running whichever other OS like Solaris and a few versions of Linux.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks for the info.. I'm very interested in Win7 just to LAZY right now to mess with it. lol. ;)

4. creaky

From here ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/637778/4671291

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I have to agree with Greensman, The Creak really has some nice active screens, omegaman had some nice one's also.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Thanks fred :) working on a new one now.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

And...A masterpiece LOL! For those interested in knowing how I did this, I can give you a nudge in the right direction. But im still far from understanding the program in its entirety. I do understand the basics of how the program works. It does amount to a bit of mathematics. Go figure LOL! I imagine more than one person will ask me about this, when that time comes, i'll begin considering an in depth tutorial. For now, just play around :)

I owe the last few days of entertainment, as well as this little creation, to a little utility (free utility) called "Andrea Mosaic"! So far, my PhenomII does quite well with it(At 25% cpu utilization no less). Most pics have been rendered in under a minute. The only bugs, have been associated with invalid video codecs, when trying to collect "Tiles" from a video source. Im quite intrigued by that method. I can think of hundreds of ideas associated with that little ability LOL! Until I figure out that minor handicap, im still quite content!

Please be warned, that the following is 1.13Mb in size, and MAY take some time. I didn't compress anymore because the tiles, have already been violated enough LOL! The tiles consist of, pictures taken Via satellite. VERY awesome pics, might I add.

I dedicate this to you "Red Ice" :D Live long and prosper Sonic!
    [​IMG]
    And a DIRECT link

This is the original Picture here

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey creaky, whats this do for you :D
    [​IMG]

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok Ok, Yes. I like Sonic Quite a bit LOL!
    [​IMG]

10. creaky

Can i have my retinas back ?

:)

Clever idea though.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! At least now, your aware of a FREE program that can WOW some relatives of yours ehh? :) The thought occurred to me recently. I was remembering a puzzle that me and my father worked on that was Mosaic! And I thought, Heck...there has to be a program available to the public by now :D

12. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

oman7,
    The mosaic looks like a neat little program, going to check it out this summer and see what it can do with all those interfacelift backgrounds that are located somewhere on my hdd's.

13. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

creaky, whats that app launcher bar you have at the top of your windows7 screenshot? One of my lecturers at uni had it and I've always wanted it.

14. creaky

It's RocketDock, works great under XP too.

15. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I used to have it on my XP machine but ended up uninstalling it after a while, kinda got annoying :)

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  16. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

awesome, thanks bud

17. creaky

No problem; i find it very useful.

Here's the stock desktop on an old P3 450MHz with 288MB Ram i regurgitated and installed Puppy Linux 4.20 on (it has XP on also). And no i cannot for the life of me figure out why in hell it shows 288MB, there's 3 sticks of what i thought were 128MB sticks. Ah well, it works.

[​IMG]

18. varnull

varnull Guest

2x128 and a 32? .. maybe one of the 128's has gone duff.. I have a 256 stick that likes to be a 32 from time to time.. linux doesn't complain, xp always crashed XD

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  19. creaky

More experimenting, more fruitful this time around. The P3 450 (with Puppy 4.20) runs ok but a tad sluggish (and damn noisy, two whining hard drives always offends; the ancient CD-Rom drive isn't too loud though). Will keep this machine 'as is', but switched off as an emergency spare surfing machine.

Had a Compaq SFF machine sitting gathering dust, a P4 2.40 with 512MB memory, faulty onboard NIC so uses a PCI NIC, worst of all it has a dodge IDE controller or two hence why it's just been mothballed. Disconnected the hard drive (all my spare old hard drives whine so won't miss that racket), left a dvd burner connected and have been running Puppy Linux 4.20 from a USB stick and also from the live cd (maybe the IDE controllers are ok after all, don't know). Booting from USB stick is very useful,i like the ability to save your session to the USB stick too.

[​IMG]

20. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Thought you guys might want to see something horrific :)

This is what my PC upstairs looks like;

[​IMG]

The worst part is, i love it ^.^