1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

desktop replacement

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by kinza, Jun 8, 2005.

1. kinza

kinza Regular member

Looking for a desktop replacement notebook. Any ideas? Doesn't need to be the lightest around, just want to move it around the house. My budget is around $1500.

2. vans12

vans12 Regular member

I have a IBM x30 it is a great notebook if you are looking for portablity. but if you are looking for some thing with a bigger screen i would rocomend the compaq R3000 or X6000 they are great for the screen size. enjoy!

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Sony is the best brand in my book...my neighbor just got one for $1400 and its pretty sweet. widescreen 15" screen, built in wireless, 512Ram, dual layer dvd burner, pretty sweet notebook

4. kinza

kinza Regular member

I was looking at the Compaq X6000, it seems a bit on the expensive side. It was $1594 when I customized, the HP zd8000 was $1499. I liked the zv6000 because it was cheaper with an AMD 64 processor, not to good graphics. It did cost almost $400 less. The Sony website for some reason isn't working right now. Did you mean the R4000, vans12? The R4000 seems like the best deal, the 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory won't slow down the laptop, right? I was initially going to get the Gateway 7405GX based on some reviews but it turns out that laptop is no longer available. I want a 64-bit processor so I am trying to avoid Centrino and Intel-mobile laptops.

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

6. kinza

kinza Regular member

Sony laptops, actually Sony anything seems so overpriced when compared to similar products from other brands. I have many Sony products but when it comes to spending over a $1000 I want the most for my dollar. Intel Centrino isn't 64-bit compatible right?

7. kinza

kinza Regular member

Here's the configuration for the R4000.

Processor AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3800+ (2.4GHz/512KB L2 Cache)

Display 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)

Graphics Card 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)

Memory 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)

Hard Drive 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer

Networking 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)

Primary Battery Extra 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

all for $1392, this good?

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

oh yeah, the same configuration with the hp costs almost $200 more. why is that?

9. radiofree

radiofree Member

Check out Sager Notebooks:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

If you want a desktop replacement these things have never let me down. They seem to only have the highest end equipment without all the overhead. If you want a really great laptop with a great screen too (17+) then you may have to go over the budget you had...but it might be worth the extra $100-200 to have a machine that will be a great replacement for years.

If you want extreme value, I also had a neat eMachine that was an AMD 64bit with a good screen and DVD-RW that served me well, on sale at Best Buy at the time for $999. Amazing...for the extra $500 I could have really gotten something....but it still would have been an eMachine.

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah I guess Sony is a little more expensive, but thats cause they're one of the best. Never let me down. Yeah I don't think centrinos do 64 bit. I've never really dealt with HP, I've heard good things and bad.

Oh and DON'T EVER go with an emachines, no matter how cheap they are. They are such pieces of crap its ridiculous.

11. kinza

kinza Regular member

I checked out the link, was expensive, but thanks. I think I am going to get the R4000, are the graphics fast enough for video editing?

12. kinza

kinza Regular member

Wouldn't get an emachine if it was the last computer on earth.

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah a 128MB ATI is plenty for video editing. graphics aren't very important for video editing (but yes, you do need a decent one), video editing performance more relies on RAM and CPU speed for rendering and encoding. the specs for that computer look like it should work fine, just be wary capturing to the internal HD. its not advisable to capture to the same drive as the system drive in the first place, and most editing software recommend/require at least a 7200 drive for speed. so you MIGHT need an external drive, but you may be able to get away with the internal, and just sacrifice a little performance.

14. kinza

kinza Regular member

How many hours do you I would get with the 9 cell battery?

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

not too sure, I'm not really and expert on notebooks, but try doing a google search for that HP model, I'm sure there's plenty of sites that will have specs and user reviews about it. But under normal circumstances most batters last at least 2 hours

16. kinza

kinza Regular member

How much of a difference is there performance-wise between the Athlon 64 3500, 3800, and 4000? Also, is 1 GB enough memory for video encoding? How much of a difference will there be between 512 MB, 1 GB, and 2 GB?

17. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

alot! its a speed difference.

more than enough. I personally have 1gb of ram in all my computers.

just stick with the 1gb and you should be fine.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  18. kinza

kinza Regular member

Thanks for the quick response! About the speed difference in the processors, what is a reasonable speed. I don't want to go overboard and spend more money for power I am not even going to use. I mostly do video encoding, photo editing, stuff like that.

19. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

if it was me I would go with the 3800

20. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I honeslty don't know much about the athlon 64 processors, I have a measly 2200 XP, but 1GB of ram will be plenty to edit on.