1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

desktop replacement

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by kinza, Jun 8, 2005.

1. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I have an eMACHINE AMD 2800+ with 1gb of ram and it kisks ass all over the place.

my notebook is a 3400 with 1gb of ram and that whoops ass even harder.

Stick with AMD.

2. kinza

kinza Regular member

right, thanks. no offense meant to people with emachines pcs and laptops.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

LOL. I don't think emachines are the greatest computers, BUT in their defense, before I starting building my own computers I bought a 366MHZ celeron emachines many years ago, and knock on wood the damn thing still runs!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the only problems i found with emachines was the size of the case & the underpowered psu!!

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

gateway was the maker of my eMACHINE. so I was lucky.

eMACHINE has other company's make their machines.

6. kinza

kinza Regular member

do you think i need a better warranty? right now hp gives 1 year standard. how about bluetooth?

7. kinza

kinza Regular member

Are there any common problems that occur with laptops?

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

yeah, you can drop them.

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

they're not as upgradeable as desktops too

10. ddp

especially video!!

11. kinza

kinza Regular member

Well, I'm a pretty careful person and I won't be taking the laptop to anywhere. Just moving around the house. How about if I choose 256 MB's memory and then add more memory. I can't decide between 768 MB's or 1280 MB's. I'm leaning for the 1.25 gigs but I'm not sure.

12. ddp

get more ram now so that they are all the same

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

at least a gig will be plenty for a while

14. kinza

kinza Regular member

ok, that's what I thought. HP doesn't have dual-channel enabled so i'll just get 1.25 gigs instead of 1 gig through HP.

15. mordy

mordy Guest

ok, now hear from a ("proud") owner of a x6000

it just flies: here is my configuration

Pentium 4 630 (EMT-64 - 64 bit)
    512 MB RAM @ 533Mhz (i added 1 gig two weeks later from crucial)
    ATI Mobility Radeon x600 @128MB - (400Mhz)
    some crappy 40g 4200 rpm HD
    a beautiful screen and intergrated wireless and decent speakers

i must say that i'm very impressed, and i do heavy 3d desiging on this machine. it gets hot, really hot.

the bad side is that it fried a few days ago and i am now sending it in (the whole process takes 4 business days) and i hope to have it back soon. but until then i am waiting and stuck with dialup.

iv'e checked the prices at sager - those are crazy prices

my exact configuration (which costed me 1700 to date) would be 2,770.00

that's one grand more - i think that's kinda ridiculous. and... don't get M - they are basically worthless and powerless unless they are overclocked (or so i have heard) but if you do manage to overclock them then they would run even faster than the p4 (but still no 64-bit)

you might have bought your PC already, but i'm just telling you

16. kinza

kinza Regular member

No I haven't bought it yet, I plan to buy next month. So what's the AMD equivalent of 3.0 ghz Intel? I was planning on getting the 3800+ with the R4000, the 3500+ with the zv6000 because upgrading costs $200 more. What was the performance difference between 512 MB and 1.5 GB?

17. mordy

mordy Guest

iv'e never used AMD so i can't tell you - i recommend to go to their site and check it out (i can't do it now, my laptop is in for reapir and my current connection is slow)

you must get at least 1Gig ram - if you want to do any heavy or mid-weight multi-tasking. i was burning a CD and using photoshop and 3dsMAX at the same time while listening to music and i only managed to load the memory up to 900MB or so - but it's more advisable to get the 1.5. (instead of getting two 512 modules) because when you upgrade you'll have to replace one of those modules.... and don't get just one 1G stick - since DDR2 works in pairs (although i must say that the benchmarks for DDR vs. DDR2 barely shows any improvment).

i was also looking at that machine (forgot the model no.) with the AMD processor, it IS cheaper but it has a smaller screen. if your'e already getting a heavyweight then why not use it to it's potential. do yourself a favor and get the bigger screen - because that's one thing that you'll never be able to upgrade with a laptop.

i'm trying to find out myself if i can fit a 7200 drive in there. oh. one more thing. the x6000 get HOT.

but if you still decide to go along with the AMD then don't upgrade your RAM from compaq - get 1 module and order the other one from crucial because it's a bit cheaper over there.

here is a quote from the compaq website about the AMD speeds

Up to 1800 MHz (Sempron)
    Up to 2400 MHz (Athlon 64 3800+ and 4000+)

...so i would go with the x6000 if i were you. you will be very impressed (but if you aren't doing anything heavy then a cheaper one will be just fine)

18. kinza

kinza Regular member

I think I'll just stay with the AMD and get 1.25 gb. Did u consider the HP zd8000?

19. mordy

mordy Guest

no. it's the exact same machine and configuration, in fact iv'e read that it's even the same motherboard! and i wasn't interested in paying $200 for nothing more than a TV tuner.

and btw. compaq and HP have the same tech support. my laptop was sent to "HP service and repair" so...

but there isn't any american tech support - only in india - and they don't know too much and their english is pretty poor.

but... before you buy that compaq - post your final price and config - i don't think that compaq is always the best deal. i know that for a machine like mine i got the best deal but i can't say the same about the other ones. there are plenty "15 laptops out there that are pretty good. did you look at toshiba and dell? not to mention ebay (if you want to roll the dice)

20. kinza

kinza Regular member

I wanted 64-bit capabilities so Dell was automatically out, Toshiba was a bit expensive for about the same configuration. I checked out Sony, did't have AMD, Averatec wasn't reliable. Did look on Ebay, just couldn't find the specs I wanted. Any other ideas? By the way, how do you like the looks of your X6000 and how is the battery life?