1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

desktop replacement

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by kinza, Jun 8, 2005.

1. mordy

mordy Guest

well, it looks nice - it's silver on the inside and black on the outside - the bottom is really stylish with it's three fans and the screen - well, let me just say that this is the best display i have ever had. period. so upgrade to briteview (the last thing you want is a dim display)

looks sometimes give you the impression that the computer is running faster than it really is.

also... i don't know why your'e so hyped-up about 64-bit, it will take a good few years until you will have a 64-bit photoshop or 3dsmax. i have used the 64bit windows, and it's actually a bit slower than it's 32 bit (fine-tuned by yours truly) counterpart.

but i may be wrong, maybe 64 bit programs are coming out very soon. anyways i just took the 630 because it had a l2 2MB cache, compared to the 5xx's 1MB.

the bottom line is that you won't get top-of-the-line performance from yesterday's processors with tomorrow's applications.

AMD doesn't support hyperthreading - which is like the "DDR" concept of a CPU, because most applications don't use 3Ghz, so it balances between them.

i don't know the difference in price between the r4000 or your budget and how much more you can afford to spend, and i haven't used a 2.6Ghz w/1G ram either. so i'm just speaking from my estimates. but i must say that i do recommend that you get something with 17 inches - it's really cool and it gives you a totally different experience.

if it's less than 200 buck within the X6000, then upgrade

2. kinza

kinza Regular member

I just wanted to try AMD, just built a computer and it's way better than my Intel. I don't need a 17 inch screen, I want some sort of portability. I've the HP's with 17 inch screens and they're massive. I don't wanna lug aroung all that extra wait I don't want or need. I can't decide between the looks of the HP zv6000 and the Compaq R4000. I have to go to Best Buy and have a look at them.

3. mordy

mordy Guest

wait: i think HP might have dropped the price on the zd8000: here is the configuration of a compaq

Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2 edit
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 630 w/HT Technology, 3.0GHz edit
    Display FREE Upgrade to 17.0" WXGA+ BrightView 1440x900!! edit
    Memory 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533MHz (2x512MB) edit
    Hard Drive 40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive edit
    Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE Upgrade DVD+/-RW/R CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer edit
    Graphics Card 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600 edit
    Networking 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM) edit
    Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
    Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works/Money edit

total: 1550

the EXACT configuration on the HP was actually 1450 - 100 bucks cheaper.

they cut down on the tuner - it's available as an upgrade together with windows media center 2005 for 200 bucks.

how's that for short change?

computer prices are like the stock market, gee this is weird.

4. kinza

kinza Regular member

bleh! i posted something a while ago and the server didn't take it obviously, now i have forgotten what i said. it was a long post too!

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

must have been a lie if you forgot what it was

6. kinza

kinza Regular member

7. mordy

mordy Guest

get the compaq - it looks nicer and more stylish. the HP looks very flimsy, and i'm not to crazy about a black interior... the compaq reminds me of my very own laptop...

but if you are a messy person - the compaq will get dirty fast

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

nah, i'm not messy.

9. DJStamper

DJStamper Guest

Please help! i'm 30 years old and just got a modded xbox. I don't know how to use the avalaunch system.

10. kinza

kinza Regular member

wow, your really off topic, try the xbox forums.

11. mordy

mordy Guest

if you wouldn't mind telling me, what is this site about?

i actually stumbled across this thread because i did a google search for "compaq x6000" - i wanted to know some more specs and info - and this came up.. well i found the discussion interesting enough to register, so i did and i posted my replies

12. DJStamper

DJStamper Guest

Kinza, thank you.

13. kinza

kinza Regular member

ok, thanks for your input.

14. mordy

mordy Guest

but what is this place about? maybe i'll hang around a bit..

it seems this place is about video enocding and such stuff... but am i correct?

15. kinza

kinza Regular member

it's all around computer related forums, all video, audio, games, consoles, hardware, software, there's a saftey valve if have nothing to write about.

16. mordy

mordy Guest

cool, maybe i WILL hang around a bit.

although i don't really know, i just got a job from the summer. i'm supposed to build someone an entire access database and website (with dynamic stuff) and i have no knowledge and no info of programming (like php and VB)(although i have learned a lot in my few days that i have already started working).

is that flag turkish? (i'm guessing from my head)

17. kinza

kinza Regular member

you'll probably get addicted to this site. i know i did. pakistan, the mods and admin is from i think finland?

18. kinza

kinza Regular member

ok, im getting down to the last days, i still can't figue out which laptop to get!! i keep switching from either the hp zv6000 or the compaq r4000 as you may have discovered already. now i have to make a pros and cons list. here it goes, someone please help!!!

compaq r4000:

athlon 64 3800+
    sturdier build
    better speakers
    $6 cheaper

hp zv6000

athlon 64 3500+
    looks better
    nice quick access buttons, like a button to open browser and intervideo dvd player, windows media player
    ir sensor for remote

please help!!!

19. mordy

mordy Guest

well, i don't know about the DVD player, and the looks of the compaq are much better in real life, plus compaq has the "fn" button, so "fn"+f3 will open your browser.

on my computer there are "fn" hotkeys for:

printing, browser, switch display, standby, logoff, brightness controls, WMP play pause and stop. plus the wireless switch is on-board and the touchpad has it's own dedicated button (comes in handy sometimes)

again, this is about the x6000, but judging from the pictures iv'e seen - i think the r4000 should be about the same (besides the numpad on the x6000) wish you luck.

i think you should go with the better processor.

i don't know if youv'e ever seen them in real life but the compaq is nice and the screen layout is VERY impressive.

p.s. i got my laptop back and they replace the motherboard

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

see if your local computer stores have them so you can see & feel which has the right vibes for you