1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devices suddenly difficult to connect to home Wifi

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by the barefoot badger, Oct 4, 2022.

1. the barefoot badger

the barefoot badger Newbie

We have cable internet, with a Motorola modem hooked to an EERO "mesh wifi router". I called our service provider (Xfinity) to ask about available new packages and, perhaps coincidentally, we are now having trouble connecting everything but the tv (android and apple phones, ipad, windows pc). It's not impossible to connect but can take up to half an hour to get a link - the devices can see the network but the connection fails. The convo went nowhere and as far as I know nothing about our service was changed.

We have not personally changed settings on our devices or our wifi hardware.

My phone does offer a clue, something like: "cannot authenticate connection. for enhanced security your phone uses randomized mac addresses, be sure these are added to your router's settings" .

Any ideas what's going on or how to fix it??? As I say, I don't think it's a problem with the phone because this is happening to every device we have.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

wither 1, the problem is with the modem as all other devices except the tv has an issue connecting to the modem.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Hi ddp- I was just going by the message he was getting.

Kinda strange- he says the windows pc is not connected so what network are the other devices seeing?

He doesn't say if he tried rebooting the modem.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Guys, the modem and the router are separate units and since the TV is working the modem's working.

So what you're saying is that your devices connect, albeit slowly to the "EERO "mesh wifi router", but the connection doesn't hold and is dropping? I've noticed that with the exception of your TV and PC, all of the other devices are mobile. Is your TV hardwired or is it connected by wifi, and what is the distance of the TV and PC to the router?If your TV is hardwired then it works because you need to enter a password for it to connect. For the items requiring wifi, wyou will need to enter a password that your router will accept. Have you tried logging into the router setup yet? This will require an IP address that can vary by unit. Look to see if there's a sticker on the EERO. If so, then on the sticker there should be an IP address that looks something like 192.168.0.1, and a username and password. There should also be a password that you will need to enter to connect your items to your router's wifi. You will need a PC to login to your router. Enter the IP address into your URL bar and an option to setup user name and password should popup. Use the generic ones on the router and then enter. Once inside, and this varies by router and make, you should be able to locate a tab page that will reveal all of the devices that it detects. From there it will take some care so don't make any adjustments until you're sure that's what you should do. Then report back.

Review the information on this link.

https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/eero/routers/556/

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  6. the barefoot badger

the barefoot badger Newbie

I feel like I should delete this thread, as it doesn't contain a technical fix, but maybe someone else will see it and be helped: It was some issue with the router, not the modem or internet service. After quite a bit of fiddling with Xfinity and Motorola modem settings (but not the Eero Router because I couldn't access it) I finally found an actual phone number for Eero tech support. 800-934-6489. They were amazing. I just don't expect support like this any more. I reached a tech representative on the first try with basically no phone tree menu. Grigor from Bulgaria was clear and understandable, patient. He walked me through a few things and then had to hang up and consult with someone else. He Actually Called Back, within 10 minutes, and with a few more tweaks on his end, fixed the issue. I don't know what he did, but with support like this, I don't need to know.

ETA: thank you to everyone who tried to help. I don't think this issue could actually be addressed from the customer end, as I had no access to router settings, but I appreciate the time and creative troubleshooting!

7. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Excellent! Alls well that ends well.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

He accessed your router settings remotely. All router settings are accessible, and all adjustments are effectively done remotely even when you're doing your own router. When you enter the router's IP, it essentially connects you to a pipeline where our routers can be accessed with the only difference being your assigned username and password. Once inside you can see a list or partial list of your connected items. Inside you can change a number of settings including security level. At first accessing your router's settings can seem a little daunting but if you take care, and write down all prior settings and changes for reference you should be fine.

Here is an image of some of the items listed on my network.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    wither 1 likes this.