1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diamond Vision DVDV816X

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by bribeast, Jun 4, 2006.

1. bribeast

bribeast Member

I did not realize that DIAMOND VISION was locally made in Markham, Ont. I've got the newest version of Diamond Vision Model number DVDV816X which plays some of my AVI files beautifully and some become blocky after every 2 minutes.
    I think it must be in the format that the AVI is in. I'm going to test some different avi files to see which is the most compatible and then use a small program called VirtualDub to change the size, screen rate, Frames per second, or whatever needs changing.
    Has anyone tried this already? The box didn't have a comprehensive manual with these specs. The DVD player was on sale at Walmart for $38. Which I considered to be an awesome deal since I only picked it up to play my AVI movies.

2. thebox

thebox Member

i have the same one and to me, its crap.
    all my DVD backups made on DVD+/-R's may spinup fine then grind/slam or or knock and then the menu kicks in or however you have your movies backed up. once you make a selection, the whole annoyance kicks in again then plays fine. retail movies work fine on it though. but this is just my opinion.

3. jg161

jg161 Member

i bought the 816 player about 3 months ago, was suspicious , brought it home , threw everything i had at it, divx on cdr, divx + avi + mpg + mp3 on dvd and dvd-rw - worked FINE - couldnt believe it... so i eventually had some spring cleaning and threw the box and receipt, figured my $30 something player was just fine.

just today i find that its behaving as i have read around elsewhere on this site - lots of clicking and spin up/spin down and wont load DVD media - disks that used to work are no longer reading. after a few power cycles managed to get it to load, but it wouldnt start the divx movies.

cdr media still works, so i can live with that, but there is definately something dodgy about this player....

serves me right for losing receipt, but if u choose to buy this player, keep receipt and make sure u live near walmart for refreshing it when it pukes.

-j

4. brentendo

brentendo Member

ok i have just tried two of these dvdplayers and i have a quick question.

Do DVDs manufactured by 20th Century Fox work in your DVDV816X?

I have tried several movies and box sets. With the movies it can't read the disc and then with my tv box set of the simpsons it tells me that its the wrong region. This has nothing to do with the quality of my dvds either. It works fine with divx file on a scratched cd but for some reason my brand new simpsons dvds that work in other dvd players perfectly don't work at all in my Diamond Vision.

I haven't had any problems with any thing else i have put in it. But i've mostly have been playing dvds, and a few cds.

5. gsing097

gsing097 Member

Hello
    I also have the diamond vision dvdv816x and for some reason it will not let me play any dvd's from FOX. It will play everything else but just not these dvd's. When I put it in, it says that the Region for the dvd is wrong. If someone can please help me out that would be great!

Thank You

6. leecatt77

leecatt77 Member

I found out that the DVDV816X is set for Region 0. So you can play DVD's from anywhere in the world. When you play Fox DVD's for some reason they say that the disc is formatted for region 1 use.

If you press 1 on the remote it will take you directly to the start of the movie.

Also figured out that the code for changing regions is 9735

7. EeVeE

EeVeE Member

hi i was just wondering if the DVDV816x could read the double-layer DVD's....

8. jimmy2k

jimmy2k Member

pressing 1 does take you to the start of the movie, but on my tv, the image jumps as if the tracking was all off.

as far as changing regions is concerned, at what point do i have to press 9735 to change regions?

9. primus420

primus420 Member

Hey guys, I just bought this Diamond Vision DVDV816x from walmart last week and it plays everything fine except my Arrested Development dvds. After reading all your posts here I realize that it is because of the region issue with 20th Century Fox and I just wanted some help to change my region to 1 to allow these dvds to play properly. Someone mentioned a region code of 9735 but I have no clue where to enter it. I have tried it with the tray open and even on the setup menu with no luck. Any help would be appreciated as I'm sure everyone else with this dvd player would benefit from this.

thanks,

Andrew

10. SQpurple

SQpurple Member

hi, guys,
    thought this might help... from an email from the service department at diamond (this is cut-and-paste, so i take no blame for the atrocity executed upon the english language):

>>>>>>Turn the DVD on. Press the open button with the DVD remote, then press 9735,
    When the region code comes up go over and change it back to Region 1, when
    region 1 is highlighted press when region 1 is highlighted, press enter,
    then press the set-up button on the DVD remote. Once this is done you should
    be fine.

If you do not get that on the screen. Close the door. Turn off the unit.
    Wait a minute. Then start the process from the beginning again. If the
    remote is at the wrong angle it will not work. You still keep pressing the
    next #'s. With some people it can take up to 10-15 tries.

Some customers have told me that after trying to change the regional code,
    and if they can not change it, they put a disc in the unit and when that
    message cames up they pressed 1 and it brought up the beginning of the
    movie.<<<<<<

good luck, hope this works. fyi, i am on time number 25+ and still haven't gotten it to work ;)

11. fyre2go

fyre2go Member

I have tried to enter the code to change the region on our DVDV816X, as soon as I press the #9 INVALID KEY comes up on the screen. Can anyone tell me how to get the code to enter other than what is printed here? I too got an email from the service dept. Cosmo Communications in Markham Ont.

12. HFXRock

HFXRock Member

Here is my conversation with Cosmo Canada:
    ****SCROLL DOWN AS THIS IS THE END CONVO*****

I don’t know who does your market research but you might want to look at someone else to fill their shoes.

In Canada, most consumers are “simple” people all they want is a cheap solution to play their store bought DVDs. When you want to start playing DVDs from other countries you run into PAL/NTSC compatibility issues. That’s an issue with the TV and no so much the DVD player and typically most Canadians are going to watch movies bought in “region 1” not from England or where ever. You should be coding the DVD players Region 1 with the option to change it to region 0 once or twice. Not the other way around. It is more “legal” to give us the option to change to region 0 than it is for us to have to make ILLEGAL copies of rented DVDs in order to play them. You do NOT have this information on the website nor is the company name printed ANYWHERE on the DVD player. I found hundreds of websites with consumers complaining about this issue, most Canadians don’t know to use Google. You should have a more definitive answer than “return it to the store” as that does not solve the problem.

By the way, EVERY DVD coded region 1 will NOT play not just Fox, please don’t pass blame to them for your negligence.

Thanks
    Jeff

Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 12:02 PM
    To: jdonald@
    Subject: Re: dvdv816x

Good morning

If you can not change the region then take it back to the store and exchange it. Most customers can change the region or press 1 to start the movie. It left the factory in region free mode because most customers like to be able to play movies from other countries. For some reason Fox has just lately started putting some kind of inscription on their DVD's.

Best Regards,

Lisa
    Cosmo Communications Canada Inc.
    55 Travail Road, Unit 2
    Markham, Ont. Canada
    L3S-3J1
    Tel - 905-209-0488 Fax - 905-209-0489
    email service@cosmocanada.ca

********************************************************************************************
    This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity
    to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error destroy it immediately.
    ********************************************************************************************
    Cosmo Communications Canada Inc. Confidential
    *********************************************************************************************
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: info@cosmocanada.ca
    Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:03 AM
    Subject: dvdv816x

Wow sounds busy. You close for the holiday, I wait a day past re-opening I get an operator, that operator transfers me to a tech who is either not at work or on the phone. I try to leave a message but oh nos the mailbox is full. I am going to try email this time before I take my circular saw with diamond carbide blade to this piece of **** device you call a dvd player.

Why do you promote piracy by forcing us to copy every dvd we rent OR buy because you set this bloody things to Region 0?

Just so you don’t send me the same poor English crap like you do to everyone else:

“Turn the DVD on. Press the open button with the DVD remote, then press 9735,
    When the region code comes up go over and change it back to Region 1, when
    region 1 is highlighted press when region 1 is highlighted, press enter,
    then press the set-up button on the DVD remote. Once this is done you should
    be fine.

If you do not get that on the screen. Close the door. Turn off the unit.
    Wait a minute. Then start the process from the beginning again. If the
    remote is at the wrong angle it will not work. You still keep pressing the
    next #'s. With some people it can take up to 10-15 tries.

Some customers have told me that after trying to change the regional code,
    and if they can not change it, they put a disc in the unit and when that
    message cames up they pressed 1 and it brought up the beginning of the
    movie.”

This doesn’t work, I have tried over 150 times, 1 ONLY works on SOME dvds. DVDs that it doesn’t work are ones made by 20th century fox.

Please do something about this, and HIRE MORE PEOPLE!

Jeff

13. HFXRock

HFXRock Member

Walmart has returned 300 of these this week alone in my area. They are thinking of pulling them off the shelves.

14. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Fox puts RCE (Region encoding) protection on their discs. Here's Simpson's Season 8/Disc 1.

Media is a Data DVD.
    Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
    Size of first Layer: 2051424 sectors (4006 MBytes)
    Total size: 4102842 sectors (8013 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: SIMPSONS_S8D1
    Media is CSS protected!
    Video Standard: NTSC
    Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
    DVD structure appears to be correct.
    Structural copy protection not found.
    Autorun not found on Video DVD.
    Bad sector protection not found.
    Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

In Canada, most consumers are “simple” people all they want is a cheap solution to play their store bought DVDs. When you want to start playing DVDs from other countries you run into PAL/NTSC compatibility issues.

HUH???? I don't own 1 PAL dvd. All my store bought DVDs are Region 1. Why should one have to go to so much trouble to play an original? That's insanity.

15. HFXRock

HFXRock Member

I just got off work, its 3am, I think I need to sleep on your comment because I don't know how to take it LOL.

How did you remove RCE, what program was that, I am curious.

I am returning this dvd player and getting the Phillips one at Walmart. Hopefully that region 1.

Jeff

16. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

HFXRock,

That program is AnyDvd. I use it in combination with CloneDvd 2. It is not free, but to me is worth every penny I paid. There hasn't been any of my originals that I haven't been able to back up. 21 day trial.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

MadBob's tutorial:

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=72022

Btw, this is an example of what Disney and Sony are putting on their discs.

Media is a Data DVD.
    Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
    Size of first Layer: 1642880 sectors (3208 MBytes)
    Total size: 2654267 sectors (5184 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: LME0NNW1
    Media is CSS protected!
    Video Standard: NTSC
    Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
    Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
    Found & removed Macrovision RipGuard protection!
    Found & removed error zones between files!
    Found & removed invalid program from program chain!
    Autorun not found on Video DVD.
    Found & removed 2 bad sector protections!
    Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

17. Marm

Marm Member

I just bought the DVDV816X today as a gift for my brother. I own an identical looking player the DVDV811X-03.

When I went to test the new player and to set it to R0, I found it already will play PAL/NTSC and all regions straight out of the box.

My problem is that it won't play mp3s on DVDs. My player, a prior model handles them well. The DVDV816X does play wma files but won't even let you navigate to a folder if it only contains mp3s on DVD. Is the new player defective?

The manual is very lacking and says nothing about mp3s and neither does the box or the player itself.

Should I return it to WallyWorld?

Thanks, Marm

18. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Marm,

If the player is not performing in the manner of which is was intended, then I personally would return it. Walmart is fairly reasonable returning items.

I realize some people do want Regionfree players and most in the past have looked for some way to hack. The protection that Fox puts on their dvds is to stop their use. It all comes down to being more informed with our purchases. Curious, did the box indicate in big print that this was a Regionfree player?

Btw, I pretty amused how "WallyWorld" has become a common household phrase, seeing as I know the source and originality of the name. I have even heard it used locally....brings a smile to my face....

19. Marm

Marm Member

Thanks very much for the reply.

This player does not indicate that it plays mp3s on the box, in the manual or on the tag at Wal-Mart. However, the manual is sparse and ability to play mp3s was not indicated in those places for the prior model that I have but it does handle them well. I have tested many, many DVD players in the last few years and this one is the first one I have encountered that plays DivX and WMAs and NOT mp3s on DVDs.

I called the company's support number and was unable to get anyone there.

So I ask again again in a more direct format: Does anyone here have a model DVDV816X DVD player that plays mp3 on DVD? I want to know if the player is defective or have they changed the ability to play mp3s for this player?

20. Marm

Marm Member

Dear Jeff:

If you return the Diamond Vision player, I strongly suggest that you NOT buy the Philips Model DVP-642 that WalMart seems to have tons of.

The Philips DVP-642 was the very first DivX certified DVD player and was great to have when it first came out 2 years ago or more. I loved it then but it is an OLD and out dated model now. I own it along with 4 other DivX DVD players and I would not recommend it to anyone under any circumstances now.

There are many, many far better DVD players including newer ones from Philips that are better.

Some of my issues with the Philips DVP-642 even with the latest firmware updates are:

- It won't play DivX/XviD video that have QPEL or GMC
    - It is also very slow to react to a lot mp3s/DivX on a DVDs
    - It is very fussy about different brands and types of burned DVDs.

Oh, if you get a chance to test newer models, look for one with LFN, the ability to play long file names. This can be very handy and is available on very few players.

Best wishes, Marm