1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did 12v fan mod, now fans stay on all the time and PSU shows red light?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Jeremy699, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy699

Jeremy699 Regular member

As the title suggests,

I had Two rings of death.. so I did the 12v fan mod whilst adding in ducting along with two pusher fans of my own to help draw air from the side of the case over each heat sink evenly. I hit a snag on the Mod, I accidentally shorted out the fan circuit when testing something. The box ran fine with them hooked up to a separate 12v and i could get maybe 45 mins of play time before it would shut down and flash the two rings ( as opposed to the 10 mins i was getting ). However! now after finishing all the wire routing and getting everything pretty and such, turning on the game to run it and see how she does i played for 25 mins before it shut down and i had to go to bed anyway.. so i didn't think to try again.. i get home from work today to see my PSU has a red light on it! I unplug and plug back in everything and all the fans start to spin (4 fans in total, 2 stock and 2 added) at a slow speed. I check the PSU and notice it is not spinning its usual fan inside of it. Pushing the power button or cd tray button blips the green led's on the front plate and promptly kills power to everything with a red light on the PSU. What do you think is going on?

I tried a different room with a new plug, and the machine came to life and ran the fans at full power for 35 seconds before it died and PSU showed a red light.. didn't see what color it was when it was working in the other room tho...

Does this sound like a buggered PSU?

Really appreciate the help guys, thank-you :)

2. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.