1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did i get ripped off?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by tnbasser, May 11, 2004.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

No you did not get ripped off, in answer to the original thread.

Car.Mike , wrong, Decryptor removes the encryption and then writes the files as IFO, ISO , or as Video_TS to a folder. That is the F, IFO and ISO selections under Mode. It also creates a .mds file for used by programs when recording.

For those having problems with controls in the software, a search here at AfterDawn can help with the manuals. MrBass and Doom9.org can supply manuals. Nero and the other websites have the manuals for the retail software, that is if it isn't in a file in the software. Platinum included a manual in the later programs. I didn't say it clearly before: for those needing to get their ripper free versions of software to work like the one button programs of old, you need only to let the AnyDVD program run on it's default settings. Read up on how it works.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Nice post brobear but yes he got ripped off since he could have achieved the same end with greater compatibility for free. If one has to spend money on DVD back-up soft, then I would recommend DVD2one. It very effective on large type 9 DVDs, otherwise just use Shrink. One small thing, a ripper is an extraction program first that fortunately also contains a decrypter and region code remover as well.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks Sophocles, I think. As you aptly put, a 'ripper' is an extraction tool that removes encryption. I was trying to keep it as simple as possible. I mentioned 'remove encryption and write to folder' as a definition for ripping. Extraction would have been the correct term (extraction being the 'remove and write to'). I was being so verbose to begin with that I wanted to cut back a little on defining all the terms (so I just talked function instead of difining another term). Region codes are considered by many as just another form of encryption.

Scubapete did a good post in one of the other strings. Where I said rip-edit-write, he gave a formula for softwares involved with a quick how to. Something along the lines of:

DVD Shrink + DVD Decryptor (in ISO write)

AnyDVD + CloneDVD2

DVD Shrink + Nero (powerful)

DVD Decryptor (ISO read) + DAEMON (to load) + DVD Shrink + Nero
    One of my favorites, but a lot of buttons. Sheer sledgehammer power with a little finesse.

They do make books for a lot of this, some people call them guides. I was just trying to get a lot of the easy stuff out there that I wish someone had told me in the beginning. They leave a lot of the simple stuff out of the manuals. I didn't know about the forum until directed here by 321. Hats off to them for another good move. I guess it saves them a lot of tech support to.

Back to the original thread. I guess it is all in one's perspective, one man's junk is another man's treasure. Granted X Copy is retail, then again so is a lot of software. If DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor go the way of a lot of programs, they start out free and later become trialware. Hope those stay free as they are the best freebies I've ever seen.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I had no doubt that you understood the difference, I just thought a few minor edits would have made your post clearer to the inexperienced. 321 got a bad press because before there was DVDXCopy they bundled freeware software along with a guide that could have been downloaded at no charge and sold it for a profit. Even DVDXCopy and their other applications which they can claim suffer from compatibility problems. Perhaps someone who remembers the freeware applications that they had no right to make money on, can post them here.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, when I get time, I may edit the post for better understanding. I thought if I simplified anymore we would be catering to adolescents. Didn't know about the skulduggery by 321. It would be interesting to know what the freeware they were selling was. And you're right about the interference problems. With the problems like Platinum had, it wasn't for the uninitiated. I like the Platinum now that I have the fixes, but I wouldn't run out and buy it if I didn't already have it. I do like some of the editing aspects and I have burned a lot of good discs with it. I'll have to say I got my money's worth from 321, they even sent my rebate after a long wait.

7. ProMod33

ProMod33 Member

thats pointless, why would you need to shrink the file, dvd-r's fit 2.7-2.8 gig's

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Either wrong or a tiny DVD. Read the box. A DVD R will record about 2 hrs and 4.7 Gigabytes on a regular single sided disc. Most new movie discs are pressed on a dual layer ROM disc and have near 8 Gigabytes of data recorded. Granted, there are some movies that will have less than 4.7 Gig. Those need no editing and no compression (just rip and burn). When the disc to be recorded is larger than the disc to be recorded to, the larger disc has to be edited and compressed to fit the smaller capacity disc. DVD burning 101. Now back to those big square pegs and little round holes.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Well brobear, I would think after having read Bromod33's response you would understand why you need to dumb it down LOL.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Well Sophocles,
    Guess I just need to start giving directions to read the box and stay away from any lengthy explanations and instructions . Still don't know where those numbers came from, the 2.7 and 2.8 Gigabytes.
    8~( :-(

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No brobear, you just keep doing what you're doing and remember that some folks just don't know a damned thing.I thought your original post was very good and I wasn't out to put it down, I was only suggesting a few minor points that could have used a little more clarity. Save your post and work on it because I can almost guarantee that you will get more than one chance to use it.

12. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

This freeware was originally sold as a package called
    DVD Copy plus.
    Smartripper
    DVDX
    CDRWIN
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you've been had.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles,
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make a file and store the posts for later review and use. Definitely save a lot of time typing, also give me a chance to do some editing. I was just inserting a bit of dry humor. As I said jokingly before, some people are trying to put big square pegs in little round holes (or was I). They just refuse to listen to reason. I keep going because I've been of a little help and it's sort of payback for the big bundle I have learned, here at A/D and elsewhere. Thanks to all those with the enlightening info and excellent tech fixes. Now I gotta learn how low I can go.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

321sucker,
    You're right, I didn't know 321 had been ripping folks off by selling bundled freeware. The DVD X Copy Platinum was a good idea for Newbies, as long as it would work. Sort of like a lottery though. Some were lucky to have a combo of software that would run with X Copy and some had interference problems.

One button and the job was accomplished. For a rank beginner and a person with no computer skills, a one-button wonder was what was needed. Unlucky for 321 they got slapped by the Feds before they could work the bugs out. The modified Platinum is a good program. It's all 321 software and files, so I guess it borders on legal.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2004
  15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I know you must be using Shrink, but have you tried Dvd2one, this ap is great with large type 9 DVDs and you pay about a third of the price. The latest version even joins movies that were split to 2 DVDs, such as those that were split by DVD X Copy. There were a few such aps that were around before DVDXCopy but some were ripped off or their creators were hired by 321. DVD2one doesn't doesn't rip but DVD Decrypter's rips work great with it and it interfaces with CopyToDvd just as Nero does with Shrink.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles,
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the DVD2ONE and CopyToDVD. I like toying with different software, sort of a hobby. I accumulated quite a number of programs. My all time favorites are still DVD Decryptor, DAEMON, DVD Shrink, and Nero. CloneDVD2 is okay, but I hate the 'cutsie' screen and animation. AnyDVD is a good program. It is passive and will rip for any software that needs a ripper. I don't know if you have used it or not. With it, programs like the Platinum RF and the CloneDVD2 become seemingly standalone programs again. Sort of eliminates the need for the 321 rip fix from tripod. As I said somewhere before, I couldn't resist the temptation to dig in and change the necessary files. I did it manually before they came out with the fix. And I have the various versions of Platinum. I actually like the RF version the best. In fact I was using DVD Decrypter to rip for the RF and then using the Advanced setting to edit. If I needed in depth editing, I would go back to using the DVD Shrink. I've learned some of the nuances of the various programs and find each has something a little different. The difference makes each suited for a slightly different task, even though the end result is always the good recording (one hopes).

Thanks again for the info.