1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Not finalize DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DRH64, Apr 12, 2016.

1. DRH64

DRH64 Member

Hello, I hope someone can help. A while ago I connected my camcorder to my DVD recorder and copied my camcorder videos over to the DVD, however I did not finalize them and have since got rid of the DVD recorder I used to record to. Now I have found that I cannot watch them on another DVD player or any other device, is there a way I can finalize them or play them or retrieve the files. I cannot remember the make of my old DVD recorder.

I hope someone can help

Cheers

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you run IsoBuster it should read the disk and if there is anything on it, it will list them in the right hand pane of the window.
    Select the all the listed tracks, right click and 'Extract Objects' to a new folder on the Desktop.
    If you get a bunch of .iso files, some will have Video (if they are less than ten/20 MB probably not).
    You can play individual files with the likes of VLC or MPC to check or use MediaInfo to look for video and audio.
    If you can find the ones with video, you can process them to get an authored to DVD or create an MKV .

Clipboard01.

3. DRH64

DRH64 Member

Ok thank you for your reply, I will give it a go.

Cheers

4. DRH64

DRH64 Member

I brought IsoBuster and it worked on some files, but how can I recover them all, some of them are not complete. A video that should be 20 minutes long is only about 5 minutes long.

I am not trying to recover data from a corrupted disk but from one that has not been finalised, can anyone tell me why I cannot recover all the files on them, I realise that if the disks were corrupt I may not be able to recover all the files but I thought that I could with these disks.

Also do I have to use the original DVD recorder to finalise these disks or will any recorder do.

Thanks

5. attar

attar Senior member

Is the 20 minute file around 600 MB?
    If the recorder averaged 4500 Kilo-bits/sec (that's what mine runs):
    4500x60x20=5,400,000 Kbits =~650MB

AFAIK, it can only be finalized on the original machine - even the same model might not do it if the firmware is different.

There was discussion about this at the VideoHelp site; search or post there for more help.
    http://forum.videohelp.com/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I've come across this also.. usually the really bottom end dvd recorders will finalize a disk from a different machine.. now then.. seeing as isobuster isn't having any of it you should try photorec.. last time I used it was to recover xfat files.. but for an unfinalized dvd image you might have to run a rip with isobuster first to get everything possible from the disk, and then run photorec on the image or directory.. give it a shot at the dvd fiorst and if that fails try ripping.. I seem to remember years back nero would also copy the disk to another and you could then finalize.. that mjst be 10 years back tho and my memory is iffy..

I would personally use dd to pull a full disk image and then mount that and see..

http://download.cnet.com/TestDisk-and-PhotoRec/3000-2248_4-10511775.html

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd