1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between 115v and 230v PSU

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Galford, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Galford

Galford Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can explain to me the difference between 115v and 230v power supply. For the past few days I had a lot trouble with a power supply called A-Open which is made in Taiwan. I am not sure which volt to set it. My previous computer was set to 115v but since I bought a P4 and it has 3 hard drives and it was built by someone. Ohh, by the way the power supply that I am using has an output of 300watts. If anyone can help me or give a little I would be greatful. Thanks

2. Repoman89

Repoman89 Member

115v=USA, maybe other places
    230v=Europe, etc etc.

It's just the input voltage, which here in the US, is around 110v

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

As stated, various countries use different mains voltages (house electricity etc).
    So PSU's are manufactured to accomodate this, and the 2 most common voltages (domestic) are 115 and 230.

The switch should be set to the same level as your local/incoming electricity supply.
    Do not run a 115v PSU on a 230v incoming line.........

[bold]BOOM!!!!!!![/bold]

If you're lucky you may just pop the fuse, however it can destroy your system......................

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

blows the psu as found out on customer's computer as he had 230v instead of 115v

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I had one where the fuse didn't react in time (but still popped), the internal shit catchers (varistors) were spiked, but the spikes went through the system, spiked the CPU and Motherboard, everything else was OK.