1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between AVI/MPEG

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by MaxPayne1, Jan 10, 2007.

1. MaxPayne1

MaxPayne1 Member

Hi,

Can anyone explain to me the difference between AVI, MPG, MPEG, and WMA files?. I know they are compressed files but what is the difference.

Thanks

2. MikeRod

MikeRod Member

the MPEG files work on things like psp and ipod video the AVI files are standard video and the other ones are just more files the type of file that the video is can affect the ability for it to play on certain media players when i download videos i just save it as a .avi because it plays on most things but if you cant get a video to play try VLC media player

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

They are all different containers and technically not all compressed since avi can contain raw video/audio, I guess technically wma/wmv/asf could to, but generally it only contains Microsoft codecs, so MS MPEG-4, WMV7-9, WMA std/pro, VC-1, etc.

mpg/mpeg basically always contains MPEG codecs, so MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AVC, etc.

As for the differences, I guess you would need to read the specs on all of them.