1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between Dbox Dreambox Starview etc

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by phester, May 1, 2007.

1. phester

phester Member

I know that Dbox2 is linux based much the same as the dreambox. My friend from the satellite community says that there is more support for the dreambox but from my own experience, for cable, it apperars that Dbox2 is more popular.

So far both of the above come in at around 150 euro off ebay while costing around 200 if bought off the shops.

Am I correct in saying that there is no reported clone Dbox2.

Now starview and such appear to have a following but I am not sure if they will continue to have support in the future.

Am I correct in saying that as long as UPC dont change the encryption type from Nagravision that with a bit of messing around to refind channels that they move across the frequency band all of the above boxes should continue to work.

I am interested in Choru* Cable Cork

2. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

I have tried Dbox2, Starview, Digivox & my present box is Dreambox. The one I prefer is Dbox2 as it has far more support than others because it is open source. The Dreambox comes a close second. There are no fake DBox2's because they are no longer made & you would be buying a second user unit. They all need updating at some point but Dbox/Dreambox are more able to autoupdate & will better handle a new encryption method if someone cracks it & releases a ROM/EMU for the box. Starview & others cannot. Most Dreamboxes on Ebay are fake and not as good as the genuine one (I have a fake & a genuine one).

Last edited: May 1, 2007