1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between dvd+r and dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by edbalcomb, Feb 16, 2005.

1. edbalcomb

edbalcomb Member

Hello, I have just started to copy DVD's and need to buy some blank ones. Just wondered what the difference is between dvd+r and dvd-r - does it matter which I use to back up my discs? Also, if anyone could recommend a good website which will give me a good deal it would be much appreciated. I've looked on ebay and theres 50 Sony for £26, is it necessary to get a well known brand or is it OK to settle for a cheaper less well know company? Thanks for your help and time in advance!

2. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

3. djlen

djlen Regular member

You know I, at one point asked every single empoyee that I could find in a Best Buy and never got an answer to the question, 'what's the difference between plus and minus?'
    I just know the mine uses minus, but would like to know the answer to that question. If you find out, please post.

Len

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Since the -r is an older format,it tends to be more compatible in standalones.Some older player have trouble playing the +r format because its newer.The newer players will play both.
    As far as which one is better,some say the + is better,but I cant tell the difference.