1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between monitor and TV

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kalippo, May 16, 2007.

1. kalippo

kalippo Member

Just wondering...

why are computer TFTs and CRTs cheaper than LCDs and TV respectively?

why get a TV when you can get a better picture from a PC monitor?

2. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

im not exactly sure but im thinking that part of it is because tvs have a built in tuner to pick up channels and also a monitor wouldnt have the same connections as a tv would but im sure u can get adapters. you can get a tv tuner card for a computer so thats basically having a computer and a tv on one monitor. i cant be sure but i think the main reason is because a tv has a tuner in it to pick up stations but most of us either have cable or dish so either way you need a box through the company for premium channels. two of the three tvs i have in my house have boxes ones a DVR moxi the others just a regular digital box through charter. the third tv actually uses its built in tuner for basic expanded channels but it cant get digital channels like mtv2 or the movie channels and such. hope this helps im just making a guess lol :p

3. kalippo

kalippo Member

10x for trying...I appreciate :)

4. elmunkee

elmunkee Regular member

Active and Passive matrix LCD panels. This is where there is a difference in price. A typical active TFT panel capable of resolutions of just 1024x768 is made up of nearly 2.5 million transistors (commonly known as small 3 legged lumps of silicon found in TV's and most other electronics) eccept in this case, the transistors are etched onto glass, to microscopic precision ( ) hence the name "Thin Film Transistor". A normal LCD basicaly has two layers of glass, one with rows, one with columns, this makes up a grid that can be referenced to control each pixel. The control is done with an IC (integrated circuit or silicon chip) on the LCD's circuit board/s. TFT's tend to be quicker ( response time) and nicer to look at in general. (lcds have a better viewing angle tho)

(cant remember the website i got the info from)

-elmunkee

5. kalippo

kalippo Member

Oh, I never realized the viewing angle! I asked this question because I was interested in getting a TV for my room but I only needed it for the PS2 and PS3 to use its resolution power. thanks a lot! :D