1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between mp3/wav/wma?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by poetprose, May 1, 2005.

1. poetprose

poetprose Member

Hello Could someone explain the difference between these formats

1)mp3
    2)wav
    3)wma

and does one offer a better quality sound?

thx

2. camstuf

camstuf Guest

3. poetprose

poetprose Member

Cool, thx very informative info , I never even thought of doing an ask Jeeves:)

4. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Bascially WAV is the best sound u can get and is uncompressed. WMA and MP3 are smaller but the quality is worse.

5. poetprose

poetprose Member

ok so what if you convert a wma / mp3 to a "wav", Would you lose any quality in doing so? and do you have any suggestions as to a good conversion program

6. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

When a file is converted to mp3 or wma or ogg or any lossy format the converter takes out information that it feels isn't necessary. That's how you compress. So, by taking away info you do lose quality. Some converters do a better job than others. Some formats are better than others. That's where debates get started. To go from mp3 or wma to wav is uncompressing. You don't lose quality. But, if you were to convert to another lossy format(wma, mp3,ogg,etc..) after uncompressing, I believe you would drop in quality substantually.
    Now, why do you want to uncompress your files? To write to a CD? Most writers will do the conversion automatically.

7. poetprose

poetprose Member

Just exploring the best way to make the cd, in terms of good sounding files

8. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

Well, if you already have the files on your computer, than any good burning software will automatically decode the files to the proper format for CD. If you're looking to download some music files off the internet than it's just a preferance call. If you even have a choice that is. If you're looking to download from a CD to your computer for archiving purposes than I suppose most people on this site will tell you that mp3 with the Lame codec would be the way to go, to maintain the best quality possible.

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Wave would be the way to go if you want to maintain the best possible sound quality. If you want quality while space and compatibility are issues then mp3 encoded using LAME is the best option.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005
  10. poetprose

poetprose Member

ok thx for your help...

i'll check out the program Lame . See if it is difficult to operate

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

12. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

ok, try this:-

go download a track from '*insert random P2P network here*' in MP3 format. then burn it to CD-R.

THEN

go buy the same track on CD single, and copy it to CD-R. (for personal use only, cough cough)

listen to both, many times... :)

can you actually tell the difference between the two? i cant...

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  13. poetprose

poetprose Member

>>listen to both, many times... :)

can you actually tell the difference between the two? i cant...<<<

I can tell the difference between 320 kbit song file (nero audio) back up/ verses 320 kbit (mp3)

14. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

i havent used nero to convert music files so i dont know about that. A few of my mates are DJ's and i get mix cd's from them. i use Express Rip to convert them to mp3 at 128kbps to play on my mp3 player in the car. they dont sound any different to the original CD's to me, other than having 2 second gaps in between the tracks instead of a 'fluid' mix. I might try using nero if the quality is that much different, thanx for the tip :)

15. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

I don't honestly think it would be Nero making the biggest difference. It would make the biggest difference if you went to, maybe, a higher bit rate & used a variable bitrate.