1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different .avi types?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Beebo, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Beebo

Beebo Guest

I'm having a problem playing certain .avi's. I've been using The Playa and WinMedia Player, and I'm downloading Blazen to see if it makes a difference. I've got the DivX 4.02 Codec and the AngelPotion Codec installed, but for some reason, on certain .avi's, it goes to search for updated codecs, returns with nothing, and then plays the .avi with video, but no sound.

Anyone know what's up with that? Are the .avi's just screwed up? Is there another codec or player that handles certain .avi's that I don't know about? Or are all .avi's the same (and mine just bad ones?)

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

There are appx. 200 different video codecs that are usually used with .avi files. AVI itself isn't a video format, but a file structure and therefor it basically doesn't have anything to do with the video quality, method of encoding or anything like that. Read more about this from here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

...try RMB and Properties with the file, it might tell you the codec symbol in there. And if it plays the video, but no audio, it normally means that audio has been encoded with different codec -- download latest Windows Media codecs from Microsoft, it is very likely that you have WMA8 audio in the file.

3. Beebo

Beebo Guest

Much appreciated. I downloaded a codec package called Tsunami, and that did the trick.