1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

different codecs

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by ezkim0x, Mar 9, 2005.

1. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

i'm not sure if this is possible, or how much sense i'm going to make.. but here's my question.

if i have a video, is it possible to encode the video with a new codec? if so what program can i use to do that?.. because i'm wanting to encode it with the xvid codec so it will make the file alot smaller.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

It is very possible.
    Software depends on the source and your desired output. XviD is just a codec, it can be used in various containers.

3. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

my desired output would be for it to be re-encoded with the xvid codec.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

So you want a raw m4v stream without audio?
    mencoder with -of rawvideo should do the trick and it accepts just about everything for input.

5. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

i'm not sure, i don't really have any idea what half of your post just meant, lol.

the video i'll be re-encoding doesn't contain any audio.. it's just the video that i want re-encoded with another video codec (xvid) so it will make the filesize alot smaller.

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

mencoder is a commandline encoder.
    pretty easy to use.

i think you better stick with gui right now...
    try virtualdub.

7. ezkim0x

ezkim0x Regular member

thanks, that worked great.

8. Attila30

Attila30 Guest

Just use one xvid codec. there are alot different ones out there but this one is really the best.
    http://www.adultxvid.com/xvidcodec/XviD_Install.exe
    I always use this codec to encode my movies. Those folks always update with the latest codecs there so quality is guaranteed!
    Good luck

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

According to the innosetup script: OutputBaseFilename=XviD-1.0.2-29082004

So it is v1.0.2 built by Koepi. Latest 1.0.x version is 1.0.3 and the latest 1.1 branch official release is 1.1.0beta1, but the source was last updated on the 5th.

For raw output you would need to use mpeg4ip's avi2raw after encoding or use in conjunction with ffdshow set to raw output.

10. fultro

fultro Member

celtic_d - a little off topic here - but I am looking to use an H264 decoder and noticed somewhere a link to a download site of yours where I got this file:
    < x264vfw.revision162.7z > Is this an H264 encoder for public use? If so how do I use it? Change the extension to .dll and throw it in the Virtual Dub Pluggins folder is one thought - but if you remember from previous posts of mine, I am being careful with this stuff --. And if I am completely off base here with this - do you know of another free H264 encoder I can check out? I know of Recode but I just don't want to pay for it yet ...

Many thanks fultro

11. shiroh

shiroh Guest

12. fultro

fultro Member

Thank you for that info - I'm afraid I have weak knees for playing around with codecs in development - can't afford the downtime troubleshooting and fixing - keeping my eyes open for stable versions here - and thanks for your efforts

fultro

13. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

There is also an installer. It will be whatever the latest 7z release is. So if the latest 7z is r167 then the installer is also 167.

It is fairly stable, but yeah I am not sure I would use it for archiving just yet.

14. shiroh

shiroh Guest

try nero h264

15. fultro

fultro Member

I know about Nero H264 - it is included in the latest versions of Recode which comes with NeroVision, which is included in Nero Ultra-Edition - Doom9 has tutorials on it so it sounds good........I am just not up to to spending $99 for it yet - waiting to see when cheaper alternatives develop
    thanks fultro

16. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i think its free to try, i got it from nerodigital site.
    heck, i'm now using the nero 6 demo. buhahaha