1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

different DVD players

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by charliek, Dec 7, 2004.

1. charliek

charliek Member

I've successfully backed up about 200 DVDs using DVD shrink and Nero and they ALL play on my 2 year old, cheap Magnavox non progressive scan DVD player. I exclusively use Ritek 4x blanks. However, when I lend a disc to someone there is invariably a problem with playback and sometimes they are unable to play the disc at all. Can anyone explain this. I'm thinking about upgrading to a new DVD player and wonder what problems I'm going to have with reading my backups.

thanks,

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey charliek, Sound like the classic symptoms of poor media.A simple change to high quality media usually is the cure for these problems. I haven't used ritek's but heard a lot of negative stuff,especially it they are 03 and 04. The 05's seem to be better.As long as your burner drive can play that back up ok,then that usually eliminates software issues.Every burner and stand alone is different on how it read's a burn. Your friends stand alones just can't read the laser's burn in those discs.If burning in - , try maxell's 4x. If burning + , try verbatim. If you do try another media,make sure it is made in japan. These are usually 1st class media. I have 1 stand alone that would not play anything off my pc. I got a new benq that was on sale and that took care of that issue. It just could not recognize the burn. That is a last resort.Most problems are fixed with high quality media and slower burn rate.Hope this helps you out. Good luck

3. charliek

charliek Member

Thanks. Are you buying Maxells on line?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey charliek, I got those maxell's at walgreens.All my verbatims i bought on line at bestbuy and ebay.Check out the dvd-r media forum. Somebody always posts where the good media is on sale. Later