1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

different sampling rates

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by GBHISME, Jul 1, 2003.

1. GBHISME

GBHISME Member

I am following guide xvid to dvd-r. I am on step 1 where you have to merge two xvid files into one using virtual dub. when i try to do that append avi, an error comes up saying "cannot append segment - audio streams have different sampling rates 17028.00000 vs. 16834.00000...... how do i get around this? Thanks.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Gosh me hates it when that happens... to get around it you can either (a) resample both audio sets to a more standard frequency (22.05, 44.1 48 or 96 Khz) or (b) resample one of the audio files to match the sampling rate of the other.

To do this in VDub, open up the file and under Audio --> Conversion you can set the sampling rate.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I recommend re-sampling both to 44.1Khz (CD quality) even though the human ears don't tend to register anything over 25KHz. I think its called over-sampling - who knows?

Chris_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Im gonna find you, and im coming to get YOU!

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  4. Praetor

Agreed... considering your source audio will is ~17Khz... oversampling to 48Khz or 96Khz wont do much good hehe.

5. GBHISME

GBHISME Member

Now when I convert I switch to full processing mode and that highlights the convert option under audio. Then I save it as a wave? Is that right?

6. Praetor

For a movie you should encode it (i.e., Mp3) otherwhise your move will be absolutely massive, 10MB/minute of audio or something like that.

7. GBHISME

GBHISME Member

I have also asked this under the "help me if you can" title. this one seems to get answered immediately. I saved as MP3. All I got was a sound file. How do I save the converted sound with the video as well?

8. Praetor

Oh i thought you just wanted the sound file.... to get the "adjusted" sound with the video... set the sound settings as you would and then go File --> Save AVI. Or now that you already have the sound file, goto the Audio menu and specify the source audio as WAV and point it at the audio file you just saved. Then go File -->Save AVI