1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital audio out on TV question.

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by cypherXR, Jul 26, 2009.

1. cypherXR

cypherXR Member

Hello, I'm new here so please bear with me. My old Toshiba DLP finally lost it's light engine this past week so I'm planning on purchasing a Panasonic Viera TC-P54S1 54" Plasma TV next week. Upon further inspection the only audio output on the back is that of an optical digital audio output.

Previously with my old TV, I had RCA cables running from audio out into my receiver. As in, I had my gaming systems hooked up through a selector box, with the output of that running into my TV. I also have DirecTV HD going through HDMI, my PC going through HDMI and my PS3 going through HDMI. My receiver does have a digital audio input on the back but I've never really messed around with it much.

What my question essentially is, if I hook the TV's digital out to my receiver's digital in, will I be able to hear sounds from all the sources plugged into the TV (gaming system's through selector box, component connections and HDMI connections?) Thanks in advance for any help or advice that is given.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

do you use the same input on your receiver for all the components? in other words, do you have the satelite, PS3, and dvd player on a switchbox and only use one input on the stereo? as long as you use separate inputs, then yes, your digital output from your TV to your receiver will work just fine. the quality will be much better than analog as well.