1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Camera Recommendation for Photographing Babies

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by glenntam, Mar 18, 2010.

1. glenntam

glenntam Member

Looking for recommendations on a point and shoot digital camera that is great for photographing babies. I am about to be a first time mom and I want a fast digital camera that will rapidly reset so I don't miss out on capturing great photos of my baby. Looking to spend $250 - $400. Thank you!

2. Hmmmh

Hmmmh Regular member

Babies are usually shot in low light conditions inside, so check how fast the lens is. I would recommend cameras with f2.8. Smaller the number, the better. You can read it from the tip of the lens. f2.8-f5.6 means your lens speed drops from f2.8 to f5.6 when you zoom out, so in low light it's better not to use zoom if possible (to make it simple).
    Other thing to note is how much noise you camera produces on high iso. Try to find some sample photos taken with iso 800 or iso 1600 and look at the picture quality. Here's a reference what to look for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_noise

Built in flash gives you crappy photos and your baby looks like a zombie in a hospital. So try to avoid that if possible.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

glenntam, take that link out of your sig ASAP as per forum rules. posts edited.
    1. Advertising via forum messages is strictly prohibited. If you need to advertise your products on our site, contact us via the feedback form and we will negotiate an advertising contract with you/your company.
    3. Providing affilate tagged links to products or services is not allowed.