1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital coaxial cable from dvd player to reciever

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by DarianM, Sep 6, 2007.

1. DarianM

DarianM Guest

Will using a digital coaxial cable from my dvd player to my Sony receiver's Analog Audio input work?

(the receiver has only 1 audio input, with "Video/Sat" written under the jacks and is colored coded for RCA cables)

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Unfortunately no.

The digital coax is transmitting 1's and 0's - a digital signal. The analog input is expecting an analog signal. It just won't work. The reciever should have a digital coax input somewhere. Also, if the DVD player has a digital optical output and the receiver has an optical digital input then you can use those with a toslink optical cable. What model is your Sony?

3. DarianM

DarianM Guest

Its a Sony DAV-BC150.
    An All-in-One home theater system with just that one audio input. I see no coaxial or optical behind it.

It has a built-in DTS decoder but the sound is not working with the Toshiba SD-K770 dvd player I have running through it.

But I did get DTS sound with my room mates Citizen (not sure of the model number)dvd player through RCA cables.

The dvd function is blown so I'm running it in Video mode.

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Your choices are pretty limited then. I would just forget about digital from your player. Your DVD player should have the stereo (Red and White) analog outputs. Just connect these to your Sony using stereo RCA cables. I think that's all you can do at this point.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

5. JVC

JVC Active member

I see, by the info listed here, that it has an optical input:
    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/electronics/Sony_DAV_BC150_Home_theater_system-4276869.html?isrc=e-search
    If the Toshiba doesn't have an optical output, get a cheap player that does. A lot of players have both, an optical and digital coax output.
    Also, whatever player you use, you'll probably have to go into the player's setup menus, and set audio output to "Bitstream" or "Raw", not PCM.

Here is an optical selector, so you can hookup more than one optical cable, to one input, such as cable or sat box, or game system (Xbox or ps2) along with dvd player:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-980
    Good luck!

6. DarianM

DarianM Guest

Well thank you both for replying. When I saw on that site that my system had a optical input I double-checked the system, it has no optical input. I looked up the specs on two other sites and both listed the only input as analog.

Oh well, tough luck. If I knew a little more about home theater back when I bought the system, I would never had gone with an All-in-one..lol

I'm either going to have to buy a whole new system or pay $50 - $150 dollars to get the receiver repaired. Thanks again

7. JVC

JVC Active member

Ok, I did a Google search, and found this Sony Style page.
    It says the HT you have is a Pro Logic system.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...egoryName=ha_outlet_home%20theater&DCMP=CJ_SS
    I understand now! Pro Logic is simulated surround. You'll never get 5.1 surround from it. It's impossible.

Sorry I posted a page with wrong info on it. I can't believe they lied like that, at that first site! I bet they've pissed some people off, with that wrong info! If there's a way to contact them, on that site, I'll send them an email, about posting bad information!

8. po43292

po43292 Regular member

I don't know how old your receiver is, but I have a Pro-Logic receiver I bought right before Dolby Digital and DTS became the standard soundtracks. You can't force a digital (raw) format into it obviously! But I still love that old Carver receiver, sounds great with analog stereo and (outdated) ProLogic. I have since gotten a Denon 3805 which was a huge improvement.

Anyway, most receivers these days support digital input, coax or optical or both, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding one that fits your budget.