1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Noise Problem

Discussion in 'Audio' started by candhp, Oct 7, 2004.

1. candhp

candhp Member

Just joined; maybe someone can help.

I'm an home studio keyboard player trying to record some of my own work, to make an audio CD for fun. I'm using Cakewalk Sonar as my software recording tool (from an S/PDIF signal fed into a pro-digital audio card on my computer).

I just recorded song in Sonar, exported/saved it as a RIFF wave file, then extracted it into a RAR file so I could send to another computer for Nero 5.5 audio CD burning. Nero burned it o.k. as a CDA file (guess that's the same as a wav file)? Other than RIFF wave, the other options to save were: Broadcast Wave, Real Audio, Windows Media Advanced Streaming Format, and MP3 (which I knew wasn't good). I saved it as 16-bit, but had the option of 24-bit.

The problem is that when I play on several different CD players, there's some very faint but noticeable "digital noise" in the background...sounded like an old LP record playing on a phonograph with scratches! Again, faint but I want to get rid of that.

Any clue what caused this? The recording was crystal clear on my Sonar before I exported it to burn. Did the RAR conversion do something? Should I have used a different or better format than RIFF wave? Would 24 bits be "better"?

Thanks to any who know what I might be referring to.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Cd Quality Audio is normally 44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo PCM wave file. That format is supported by most players. This will give you approx 30Mb for a 3 min piece. Where a 192,000 Hz, 16 bit will be approx 150MB.

If you have SoundForge or Steinberg Wavelab -- try both on your desktop and compare -- you may see a difference , unfortunately , I dont have that good a musical ear ~~ smiles "

Regards