1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Optical Output on TV to RCA input on HTIB?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by DrAsTiK, Jun 7, 2009.

1. DrAsTiK

DrAsTiK Member

I recently purchased a Panasonic Plasma TV (Model TC-P42X1). I wanted to connect it to my Phillips Home Theater (Model HTS3565D/37), but the TV only has a digital optical output, and the Home theaer has RCA inputs. Can someone help me by telling me if there is a converter? Or will I have to buy a new Home Theater with a Digital Optical Input?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

3. DrAsTiK

DrAsTiK Member

But the Home Theater only has the White & Red RCA inputs. Is there a way to hook it up by using a coaxial cable??

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

if it only has red and white inputs then you must have a pretty old receiver. you have an analog receiver without digital inputs. doesn't your tv have analog red and white RCA audio out you can hook up straight to your receiver?

5. DrAsTiK

DrAsTiK Member

no it doesn't. I wanted to get a converter, but i cant seem to find one.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

i find that hard to believe...i've never seen a TV that doesn't have analog audio output. if your receiver doesn't have digital inputs, then I'm guessing its rather old...if it has no digital inputs then that means it doesn't have dolby digital surround sound. rather than buying a digital to analog converter which probably costs around $50, i'd recommend just upgrading your receiver. you can get a basic sony, onkyo, or yamaha surround sound receiver for under $200.

some quick googling and i found digital to analog converters
    http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Analog-Converter/dp/B0013LWK3A

you can see that they run from $50 to $90. in the long run, you are better upgrading your receiver. that way you will have full digital surround sound, so you will be majorly improving your home theater system.

7. DrAsTiK

DrAsTiK Member

yea i see, but do u think this one will work?
    it ssays it converts analog signals to digital, but will it work the other way around??

here is the link

HERE

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

His receiver is either old or cheap. Anyway, I wanted to add to the advice...

DrAsTiK, if you have a cable box or satelite service I would recommend going from the source box to the receiver with analog audio cables. Going through a D/A converter is a waste of quality and money. This kind of setup is very unusual in a consumer level setup. I recommend taking the money for the D/A converter and spending it on a better receiver.

-Ced

10. DrAsTiK

DrAsTiK Member

Apparently nobody looked up the specifications. Anyway, the receiver has a coaxial digital input, all I need is a converter from optical to coaxial.

11. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

You are a retard. That was djscoop's first advice to you.

12. djscoop

djscoop Active member

LOL I kinda mentioned that the best solution is a new receiver. a digital converter costs around $50, but you can get a cheap sony digital home theatre receiver for $100. the choice seems obvious to me, but I can only suggest my opinion, not enforce...

BTW whats up diabolos! its been a while, huh? what you been up to bro?

13. DrAsTiK

DrAsTiK Member

Thanks a lot gallagher *cough*

anyways, thanks for your help djscoop, i guess i wasn't really paying attention, im still surprised i didn't see the digital input in the receiver when i checked it out.