1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital TV free view box

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Joy2, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Joy2

Joy2 Member

Anyone know about digital tv free view box for a mac, what are they and is a dish or aerial needed to receive stations. Also is the unit only restricted to free British stations.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

http://www.defyne.org/dvb/driver.html

That should do, as the FreeView is, AFAIK, simply a "traditional" DVB-T broadcast and the same hardware equipment should work in all countries using DVB-T (i.e. at least all European countries having digital broadcasts and Australia).

Can't assist you further than that with the drivers as I don't have Mac :)

EDIT: And FreeView uses an aerial, indoor aerial should do just fine in the UK. Remember that digital TV is broadcast-type dependant, so your DVB-T equipment doesn't work with DVB-S (satellite, such as Sky Digital) or DVB-C (digital cable, such as ntl or Telewest) and vice versa. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/[/small]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2003
  3. Joy2

Joy2 Member

Thanks dRD, I appreciate the information!

4. dRD

Np. The real annoyance with digiTV is really the DVB-T/S/C non-compatibility. I.e. if you buy a TV with integrated FreeView in it, its useless if you plan to get digital cable or digital satellite at some point. And same applies for digiboxes, PC cards, etc -- DVB-S box can't receive DVB-T broadcasts, etc.

But obviously, the quality compared to analog, specially when capturing to a PC, is simply awesome at best cases.

5. Joy2

Joy2 Member

dRD,I have another question, what unit to buy
    that receives all free stations and if there is any extra hardware to be installed and what price is expected to pay and also would like to receive radio through the unit. Its for a Mac G5. Sorry for all these questions as I am asking for a friend. Thanks! :)

6. dRD

From the devices listed on that page, I would probably buy Hauppauge as it is (remember not to get fooled by their model selection as they tend to have hundreds of models, write down the exact name :) fairly common card amongst Windows users and I would assume it is relatively popular with Mac users as well, which normally means better support in terms of tools, etc.