1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Video Recorder do I need to pay?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by danw64, Jan 27, 2005.

1. danw64

danw64 Guest

I'm new to all this DVR stuff.
    Can't I just buy a Digital Video Recorder and record a show just like we used to on a VCR.
    Or do you have to pay for a service now just to record a show?

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

all u need is a TV card w/recorder,a Program to convert it to DVD (TMPGEnc DVD author works really well),and a DVD burner.
    TMPGEnc will convert your video and burn it to DVD,so u can watch it on your TV. you can even edit out all the comercials

3. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

It depends on the brand. TiVo brand and the latest ReplayTV models (50xx and 40xx) *require* paid subscription (unless you get one of the Satellite or Cable company units where the Subscription price is already built in).

Others, like earlier ReplayTV models (1000, 2000, 3000, and *some* 40xx and 50xx) and most Panasonics and some RCA's and Toshibas offer a free guide and allow you to manually input times, like a VCR if you don't want to (or can't) use it.

TiVo has recently released TiVo basic and some *OEM* TiVo units come with a free lifetime subscription (but not any that bear the TiVo name).

I have a a Panasonic DMR-85H which uses Guide Plus and an RCA 7000 that also uses Guide+ (both free). I also have an old Panasonic 1000--which is the ReplayTV 2000 and has Free Replay--which I prefer to Guide Plus for several reasons--which I've detailed in another thread in tis forum.

bob

4. limelight

limelight Regular member

do u have to have a access card for it to work?

5. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

limelight (Junior Member) asked:

No, none of the units listed use access cards. They are all plug-and-play. The Replay unit uses a dial-up phone and the others get their information off of the cable provider. Not all providers offer Guide+, so ask yours first. Some broadcast PBS channels provide it. None is required for Replay.

bob

6. limelight

limelight Regular member

Will the earlier replay models work with directv as far as programming goes? id like to have that feature but if not which model would u suggest?