1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dimension 2400 CPU Fan

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SL7Rips, Apr 20, 2008.

1. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

i have a Dell Dimension 2400 and i was wondering if i could get rid of the Stock wind tunnel and install a Heat Sink and Fan Combo on it so it dont have the 4 screws that hold the stock heat sink Down. . im trying to put the motherboard into a New ATX case and it dont have the holes to line up with the 4 screws

Thanks

2. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

Ive used the Zalman 9500 you will need to buy a standard socket478 retention bracket to use it.I also kept the stock Dell fan hooked to the motherboard and used it as a rear case fan to avoid the fan bio's error.

3. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

Thanks Alot

can i use any Socket 478 Heat sink and fan?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you need the bottom bracket of the cpu heatsink assembly as it comes with the motherboard not with the cpu. the cpu comes with heatsink fan assembly that toggles onto that bracket.

5. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

6. techman2

techman2 Guest

=(

i don't think that you can install a standard socket fan, dell is propritary

=(

i know cause i have a Dimension C521 and a Dimension 2400

7. im1992

im1992 Regular member

The capacitors around the socket usually block any possible removal/installation of a new cpu cooler. Unless you mod the motherboard itself, it wont work.

8. ddp

SL7Rips, can you post a picture of the cpu socket area minus the heatsink & fan tunnel?

im1992, doubt you can mod a board that is multi-layered as i've worked on motherboards.

9. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

ok.. here is a picture of the board without the heatsink and stuff
    [​IMG]
    And Here Is the picture with a New cpu bracket
    [​IMG]

10. ddp

if the bracket fits into the motherboard holes then you are good to go but clean off the old cpu paste before installing new heatsink.

11. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

Lol im going to if i use that CPU.. i have a whole new setup for it

so we will see

Thanks

12. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

Dimension 2400 is pretty much standard m-ATX the propritary features it does have are easily changed.C521 is another story.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  13. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

It will work just fine the retention bracket just has to be changed out.I have put Zalman's on a half dozen of these things.

14. im1992

im1992 Regular member

yes, now that we have a pic of the mobo, i can see that it works. its just that all the dell motherboards i have seen, the capacitors usually blocked any removal/ installation of a new cooler.

15. buzbmb

buzbmb Member

I want to ask, are you using the boards 3 pin power for the Zalman? Or are you powering your heatsink fan off of another source? I was just given a Dimension 2400 from my wifes work and want to upgrade this thing to something decent for one of my kids.

My goal is to add:
    3D Fuzion 3DFR55256P GeForce FX 5500 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700)

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 89W Single-Core Processor

This is along with updating the hard drive, adding a DVD RW, and that is it. Should be enough to keep my 12 year old happy.

I plan on keeping everything in its original case.

All input on powering CPU cooler will be gladly accepted.

16. ddp

buzbmb, check this link as possible you might not be able to use that cpu on the dell.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm
    buzbmb
    L2 cache 256- or 512-KB (displayed in the system setup program) pipelined-burst, eight-way set associative, write-back SRAM (Pentium 4);

17. varnull

varnull Guest

I will be surprised if the board would clock that high as well. I know how dell make their stuff.

/me waits for the bang and puff of nasty smelling smoke....

18. buzbmb

buzbmb Member

Oh, I kinda like burning things. I have also fried a PSU and other items. Nothing better to do as a kid when my dad would bring home computers from work that were retired. My IBM laptop (monochrome screen, size of a modern mid-tower) went a long ways before she burnt. Add a few TI99 4A's, and other electronics, I have "tested" my fair share of mods since 1980. My question here is did you power the CPU cooler via the MoBo header, or did you get a Molex 4 pin to 3 pin stepdown adapter? If the MoBo's PWM works with the Zalman, all I can say is sweet, and if I have to deal with full RPM at all times, oh well. I haven't used a 3 pin PWM for ages when it comes to CPU coolers, but elect to get MoBo's with 4 pins instead.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but L1, L2 cashe are resident on the CPU, right? So, if I am not wrong, since a 3.06 GHz Pentium was offered as the High End upgrade available via Dell for the Dimension 2400, that should not be an issue for the Mobo.

From Dell
    Besides, its not like I am going to burn up anything worth too much. $80 CPU, $0 Dell Dimension 2400 from wifes work. Anything I value in that box would be either moved into one of my other builds (HDD added to RAID, CPU cooler moved to another computer, RAM sold). Now if I torched my AMD 9950, I would be upset. But I did see someone OC'd that to 4GHz, so my minor OC to 3GHz will not be an issue under decent cooling. But I have that on my MSI K9A2 Plat, in my Antec 1200 with an ASUS Lion Square CPU Cooler. I would water cool, but my budget is going to the ATI HD 4870x2 instead.
    But thats an entire different thread.

The worst case I see is bottlenecking somewhere. Thoughts? Feelings?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  19. buzbmb

buzbmb Member

Oh, you guys want to see the most impressive cook off, fly a ballon with very long mylar strings over power lines or a substation. You will see some fireworks, and get a visit from Homeland Security, but dang, its hot.

[bold]"The prior statement was and any other statements by myself are for educational purposes only and is not instruction for someone to do such an event. In the event someone reads this and shuts off half of a city or an entire town, I did not tell them too, but only said it could be done."[/bold]

Always remember not to mix steel wool and powered electronics, fun things happen! It is not like putting a stick pin through someones coax (RG6, etc). Also do not fly weather ballons at night with 12" by 12" sheet metal plates and road fuses near airports unless you enjoy UFO stories in the paper. Also, model rockets are not to be used as RPG's against people on bikes! They freak.

20. buzbmb

buzbmb Member

I stand corrected, the 533 MHz issue does appear to be a rub. I guess the best this little puter will do for what I can get is the Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Northwood 2.8GHz Socket 478 68.4W Single-Core Processor Model RK80532PE072512.

Oh well.