1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dipstar for Dummies aka Data Collection/Help Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by kitty66, Mar 2, 2007.

1. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Hi Everyone:

I have been having dipstar issues, yes I'm the dummy! And I wanted to start a dipstar thread to collect information and experiences using dipstar. I have read the few threads out there in Dogpile land (like Google) and I have yet to find anything other than what follows:

The Author's Thread at GBADev.org
    http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8662&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

NDS Hacks, Author's translated txt readme with graphics
    http://i486.client.jp/easyhack/index.htm

A dualscene guide
    http://www.dualscene.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=159

You will notice that I have posted these questions there as well. This is usually not very polite to plaster all the forums...but...the absolute lack of good dipstar information prompts me to it. So sorry if that bugs anyone. Following are my experiences. Please please contribute yours in a detailed fashion so we can get this licked.

My input data will be limited to the M3Lite. Right now as I understand it Dipstar does not support the Simply and I do not have anything but the two M3's.

Dipstar Version 3.33 I have tried the following methods.

Install

1. Write "dipstar.ds.gba" to the memory card (Using M3game manager).
    2. Transfer NDSROM to the memory card (Using M3game manager).
    3. Boot M3-Lite.
    4. Scroll todipstar from the game menu of M3 and press the A button.
    5. Scroll to NDSROM and press the A button.
    6. Press the any button with the load screen.

OK, did this it produces white screens of death when game loads but it did load dipstar's dat. file.

So I tried this:

1. Download the DipStar complete package from the M3 / 3rd Party download section
    2. Copied dipstar.ds.gba to SD card
    3. Copied dipstar.ds.dat from the cheats exchange to subdirectory "GAMESAVE"
    4. Drag&drop ROM from the memory card onto m3dip.exe.
    5. Put the card into the M3 and turn on the DS
    6. Select "dipstar.ds.gba" and press A (nothing will happens just a short blink)
    7. Choose the DS game and press A
    8. Press A again and _quickly_ press and hold the button for the cheat. Hold the button until the game has loaded.

Still white screens of death.

Now is this because I am using the M3DSS as a pass? I am off to try it with other pass cart and without pass cart at all.

I got past the white screens last night but I still had no cheats in the game. The dipstar file did load with the game and the game worked but nada. I have used the same codes (Translated) with the AR with good results.

The only good results were via the first method I described using direct copy in the game manager and enable cheat checked but no cht.txt file.

A-I am not sure where the master code goes?
    B-I am still new to my DS
    C-Hex stuff confuses me. Esp as to game code finding and translating...anyone know a good guide.
    D-Need to find syntax for the cheat text file that dipstar will eat.

I am being a total dips*&% about this I just know it! I am open to any ideas as well. If you think it might work post it I'll try it.

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I have just been able to boot a game (Tetris DS) with Dipstar enabled, however I do not know how I include codes or where to get codes, so i cannot test them. Any ideas?

Update, I now know Dipstar does load, as I have been able to get into the code menu (hold L when starting) And have found how to enter codes, now I just need some codes to use.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  3. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

You can use any AR code with this handy little translating program that dlong of Kodewerx made. It is called Kode Garage. It is great.

It will translate to and from AR, Dipstar and CB (I don't know what that last one is) He was having trouble with people stealing it and not giving him credit but I think the link is fixed now and you can get it again. Let me know if it is a dead deal I can ask him if it is OK to PM it to people???? Like I said...a little drama. But! Great little app.

http://www.utc.edu/Daniel-Long/NDSConvert-Win32-x86.exe

Also the first link in this thread has alot of dipstar cheats and mastercodes throughout it. Lots of times the dipstar codes are out first and I have been translating them via Kode Garage by dlong. Works great on the Dipstar to AR.

Lots of AR codes here at http://www.bsfree.org/?s=40&d=6

Keep us posted! I am going to play with it more today if I can get the DS back from my kids!

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Thanks for the link, i have already been converting codes, but I can't seem to get any to work (My guess is i'm having problems with the master code) i'll keep you posted :)

UPDATE:
    Ah! Think I found why my codes were not working:
    I was trying codes on TetrisDS, didn't have any intention on cheating on Wifi (in fact the codes I had didn't affect Wifi) but this would explain why my codes didn't work.

Will have try a different game.

5. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

the latest one that supports wifi games can found at m3's download section. version 3.33. the developer's "easy" guide says only m3 cf will work with cheats, and that it might not be possible at all for m3 sd (due to sd having wierd write functions?). i've tried many things to try and get the codes to work. to no avail.

game tested: izuna: legend of the unemployed ninja (must have 4xdma and force r/w to get it working on my m3 lite or else WSOD).

i went throught the usual routine:
    1. transfer dipstar.ds.gba onto m3 with game manager.
    2. transfer game with cheats enabled (this just changes some hex values allowing information (the cheats) to be read from slot-2 while playing slot-1) i assume the .txt file is rather inconsequential since i haven't gotten one to work anyways...
    3. select dipstar with a.
    4. select game to be cheated on with a, press a to confirm save file.
    5. hold L right after to get into cheat input menu.
    6. input master code and subsequent cheats under a slot (button).
    7. power off, power on.
    8. steps 3+4.
    9. right afterwards hold down the button the master code and cheats were under.
    10. game loads with cheats (not in my case...)

so let's try some variations:
    new step 1: direct copy of dipstar and save; dipstar with game manager, save directly copied; transfer dipstar with game manager, under options: software only; previous one, but direct copy save; transfer dipstar with game manager, use a custom save (with codes already inputted for castlevania PoR; confirmed working by creator@_@)=all nope
    new step 2: transfer game normally, patch [with m3dip.exe] afterwards; patch first, transfer second; no dipstar patch; patch at every step=all nope
    new step 5: hold down button for supposed cheat=nope
    new step 6: code in every button=nope

so from this i surmise it's not possible with the m3 lite [since it's sd] or i'm missing something [likely].

also, i noticed that the slots (read: buttons) i'm trying to put the codes under aren't zero'ed out [like in the developer's screenshots].

note: i was checking m3's forums for info. there was a guide to get it working on the m3 lite perfect that was archived and later deleted... thaaaaannnks~ [/sarcasm] i believe it said "m3 lite"... so maybe it does work on sd's and therefore the m3 lite perfect. maybe i should ask there for some help...

6. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Harrumph...perhaps this is not to be had for M3Liters with SD. I am testing the same game Izuna (not a wifi) and with the same results. I have the master cart and bkup. I am thinking of rolling back to 3.00 and trying the master cart with it.

I am assuming that both of you are inputing the master code into line 00: of whatever slot you are choosing. I did it this way and with the master in A and the codes in B. Nada. The most I can get out of it is to load the game and the dipstar dat file but no cheats! Grrrrrrr.

The drawback with the new version is that I thought it did not support the M3?? As I understood it only ver 3.33 and 3.00 could do it? I have found very little documentation on this other than what I have linked to. BTW My codes are zeroed out in the main screen unless I have saved them in dipstar.

I have tried this with the max media player pass and the M3simply with mostly the same results. None of them good.

Lastly, I have not tried the 4xdma setting with force RW. The only one that was not wsod was the direct copy. I will try it again.

Is there a patch I wonder to make the sd read/write like the CF??? I don't know enough yet to know if that is even a valid question!?! REIN works great with my Lite and it writes?? Some other writing homebrew has not worked for me though.

7. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I have had codes 'working' as in they messed up castlevania when active (black bottom screen, top screen still active and music playing)

I had the mastercode on line 00 and then the cheat code(s) directly under in lines 01, 02 etc. All in Slot A.

I am using Dipstar 3.33

8. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

What is passkey2 V4 and would it have any bearing on dipstar? Why do you need a passkey for it? Only if you do not have the simple or another pass?

9. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

The Passkey2 should not make any difference compared to using the M3DSS as the Pass device, I have a Passkey2 and it has made no difference t how Dipstar works on my M3.

I am currently using FlashMe as my NDS mode boot device, and also double-testing with my M3DSS as a Pass device, and occasionally testing with my Passkey2 too.

10. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

i found this thread to be informative.
    i'm using m3 perfect lite and m3 ds simply of course.
    i'm now at the point where the codes are in [everything else zero'ed out] *note: i used txt2dip to inject the codes under slot [button] A*, and the game boots. no cheats are in effect that i know of... i may have to test with version 512FF...
    the step i was missing was gba/nds linkage ("DOH!") when transferring "izuna: legend of the unemployed ninja" [which i'm testing because kitty66 is having problems with it]. =P

11. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

[​IMG]
    Well I got Dipstar working on my M3CF and FlashMe v7 :)
    (UPDATE: I can also confirm it worked when using my M3DSS as the Pass device)

How I did it.

Izuna copied to the CF using the gamemanger (4xDMA, Force R/W)
    Patched using m3dip.exe
    Load the M3
    Press 'A' on dipstar.ds.gba
    Load Izuna and hold 'L'
    Enter the mastercode in line 00, and the cheat code directly under.
    Restart the DS
    Load dipstar again
    Load the game, hold 'A'
    Cheat active :)

Codes for this game found here

12. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

From Opera DS

TSOL For the SDs unless Xs thread above can enlighten me, I am afraid. Thank you both for researching this with the grrrlie game for me, I appreciate it.

At least other users will have some centralized information. Perhaps future firmware will make it possible for SDs. Do you think past would help?

13. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

hmmmm... it seems that i turned off autosave... so i turned it back ON.

yeah it works now. so steps:

0. make sure autosave is ON.
    1. copy dipstar onto microsd using game manager (i tested izuna with dipstar v512FF; also, i put all the dipstars in to test compatibility easily [061224, 3.33, 512FF]).
    2. copy izuna onto microsd using game manager. check these options (applies to izuna):
    read method:
    -4x dma<
    -force r/w<
    linkage:
    -gba linkage<
    3. drag and drop izuna rom onto m3dip.exe, press enter.
    4. load up m3 lite.
    5. highlight dipstar. press a.
    6. highlight izuna. press a.
    7. press a. hold L _immediately_ afterwards.
    8. insert codes under one slot [read: button].
    9. master codes go first.
    10. after codes are inserted press start.
    11. power off/on.
    12. 4-7. at step 7 hold the button the codes are under instead of L.
    13. ~should~ work now. unless the codes are wrong...

this thread has now become the shortest, yet correctly informative thread about dipstar usage ever. mwhahahaha.

edit: 061224 doesn't seem to work and 3.33 gives me WSOD. but 512FF seems to be working with all codes on. injected via txt2dip.exe, easy...
    i also suggest using m3save2_v140_english.exe to change the save size of dipstar's save from 1024KB to 129KB(there's a button on the right side). it's much faster loading and such this way. MUCH.

edit part 2: son of edit: 061224 works. don't know what i did wrong first time 'round... 3.33 still giving WSOD. i wish i had as nice a camera as mr_hanky...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  14. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

I'm trying this right now. Any English Instruction on the txt2dip? I am not sure I understand that yet.

Also are you talking about auto save in the game? I am confused if this is wrong. Poor kitty always confused! I will edit back soon and update!

Thanks XbusterZ, Thanks MrHanky you guys have made this thread bona fide!!!!! The only one of it's kind...hard to do and very necessary for this subject. Thanks again.

PS I wish I had as good a camera as MrHanky too!

EDIT UPDATE: BIG GRIN...working now! I followed the instructions by XbusterZ.

Note: Use no trim rom with Dipstar version 061224

0. make sure autosave is ON.
    1. copy dipstar onto microsd using game manager (i tested izuna with dipstar v512FF; also, i put all the dipstars in to test compatibility easily [061224, 3.33, 512FF]).
    2. copy izuna onto microsd using game manager. check these options (applies to izuna):
    read method:
    -4x dma<
    -force r/w<
    linkage:
    -gba linkage<
    3. drag and drop izuna rom onto m3dip.exe, press enter.
    4. load up m3 lite.
    5. highlight dipstar. press a.
    6. highlight izuna. press a.
    7. press a. hold L _immediately_ afterwards.
    8. insert codes under one slot [read: button].
    9. master codes go first.
    10. after codes are inserted press start.
    11. power off/on.
    12. Do steps 4-7.
    At step 7 hold the button the codes are under instead of L.
    13. This works great.

Everyone thank XbusterZ and Mr Hankey!

15. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

ok:
    1. make a cheat text file for your game. looks something like this:
    2. name it, and put it in the same folder as txt2dip.exe, which would be "txt2dip".
    3. open txt2dip.exe.
    4. click open.
    5. choose the text file for the proper game.
    6. select the slot [button] that the codes will be assigned to (found on the lower left-hand side).
    7. make sure your memory device with the game and dipstar is in.
    8. click write (lower right hand side).
    9. navigate to where >dipstar's save< is.
    -a. if you have muliple versions, make sure you navigate to the version that will work with your game.
    -b. make sure there are no other codes under that slot. i'm not sure how to check... other than loading up dipstar and holding L.
    10. write to it. you'll get a confirmation message.
    11. easy.

*tip: if you have, say, 16 games that works with a particular version of dipstar, but you are only allowed 8 slots [buttons] (1 slot/button per game only!) for that version (d-pad: up, left, down, right; buttons: start, B, select, A), what do you do?
    well, rename that particular version on your computer and put it on your memory device for the ds! of course.

under m3's options (by default, it is in the lower right-hand side), there is an option to turn off/on autosave. i turned it off because the prompts were annoying. now that i trimmed the save size of my GBA backups, the prompts go by MUCH faster, but still annoying...
    note: trimming saves may make the save not work properly. not likley i think. 129KB seems large enough...

16. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Super! Thank you so much. I got it to work with the file now... :)

What do you think. Should I summarize all of this info and edit it to my first post or do you think this is a short enough thread that it will be easy to sort through?

There is more information on dipstar here now than any one place I think?????????

17. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

well... not info ~about~ it (that'd be the dev scene), just more info on *how to get it working*. which, for the majority of end-users, is much MUCH more valuable.

and yeah, edit it. people tend not to read the animal crossing stickies (there's 2!), so i'm sure they won't read through a short thread... also, it'd be unified. just make sure to give specifics on hardware(i used: m3 ds simply(as a passme) and m3 lite perfect(uses microsd); mr_hanky used: m3 ds simply(as a passme), flashme(which has built-in passme for the ds firmware), and m3cf) and dipstar versions(easy to find ones: 061224, 3.33(from m3), 512FF(no wifi games).

edit: oh yeah, does the AR to dipstar converter work for you? that might be helpful.

18. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Yes...lol, I meant user information I was not clear in my last post sorry. I could not top the dev list's development information in 100 years. That thread goes on for days!

I will edit this to reflect changes. I will include the NDS Converter, thanks for reminding me of that. I have had great results with it. All the dipstar to AR codes I have ported work well. I have not tried the opposite because it seems like the Dipstar codes are always around first. This may change with the AR Toolkit being out now.

Thanks again.

19. handsom

handsom Regular member

So Um.... Dumb question:

I use the "M3 Simply" Slot 1 SD solution... I've never seen special software to load the card with, I've always just drag/dropped the files over manually; so none of these options are available to me... Is there any way to do all this with my setup?

20. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member