1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct access/copy to CDRW drive

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by callie15, Mar 18, 2003.

1. callie15

callie15 Member

Is it possible to use backup routines (like in Quicken or Peachtree Accounting programs) to backup directly to CDRW without using 3rd party software? Quicken's help site implies that some operating systems require 3rd party software and others don't. Is it really possible to access and use these types of drives without using software such as Nero/Ataptec, etc. If so, how?

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

If the software is on a disc, it can be backed up (most of the time).

Shoey ~O-O~

3. callie15

callie15 Member

I am talking about using the backup command within a program such as Quicken. Within these programs you can choose a file backup command to backup your financial data. You can browse to whichever drive you want (typically defaults to floppy). When I choose my CDRW drive, it is not accessible. Obviously, I cannot write to my CDRW without using a 3rd party program (outside of Quicken) to access my CDRW. Why not?

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I don't know because I don't use Quicken.A "possible" way around this is to partition your hd, then save to a folder, then burn to a cdr(w) with your favorite burnin' software. You can save to drive C:.. right?

Shoey ~O-O~

5. callie15

callie15 Member

Yes, I can do that. But that is what I hoped to avoid. I guess my question is this can any CDRW be written to by just a plain old copy command from File Explorer like you can do to a floppy. You know just a plain old drag and drop from your OS instead of having to go through 3rd party burning software.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I understand the frustration on your end. Actually partitioning your hd and saving your documents would be the best route here. CDRW's have a tendacy to "lock" up drives, pc. This way if you crashed and didn't backup you could get to your partitioned drive, back up data to a cd-r. Maybe consider an iOmega 750 zip drive? They've come down in price and have software that you can assign programs(data) to backup every time you "boot" or reboot your o/s.

Shoey