1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

directv tivo and hdtv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by eroc23, Feb 25, 2005.

1. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

does anyone know if you can hook up a directv tivo and hdtv receiver on the same television. And if so how do you do it. I dont want to get a hdtv tivo just yet they are a little expensive right now. I would still like to use my existing tivo and get the directv hd package but you need a hdtv receiver.

2. MarkGil

MarkGil Member

Yes,,,no problem.From the nonHD DirectTV Tivo,Just connect the S-video,(or yellow composite video),and the left and right audio,into any available standard analog AV input on the HDTV. It will probably have a couple of them. The Direct TV HD receiver will connect to either the HDMI input(or DVI if slightly older model TV),OR one of the 1080i "component" inputs,,,your choice depending on if you want to spend the money for the expensive HDMI cable. (My personal opinion is that your HDMI or DVI input would be better used with an "upconverter"HD DVD player). When you want to watch live HD Direct TV ,select the appropriate HD input on the TV. When you want to watch or set the Tivo,just select that appropriate AV input on the TV. Remember,by keeping the Tivo in service,you will still need at least 1 satellite cable from the dish to the Tivo,2 if using both tuners,plus a cable to the HD receiver.So you will be using as many as 3 of your 4 available cables coming down from the dish to one TV. If this is too many,and you have other receivers in the house that need those feeds,consider disabling the 2nd Tivo tuner. You probably won't need it now anyway.Hope this all helps.

3. thor999

thor999 Regular member

hey mark what dvd player are you using to form that opnion? the samsung my roomate bought is a piece of garbage, doesn't seem to upconvert it at all.