1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirty Or Damaged Disc Error

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Nitrosus, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Nitrosus

Nitrosus Member

I just got my xbox lately and Ive bin having problems putting music cd's onto it. My regular cd's copy fine but whenever i try enhanced cd's it always says that the disc is dirty or damaged once it gets to the last track, even though they are mint condition/brand new. Is this a common thing or is there something wrong with my xbox?

2. elliot01

elliot01 Guest

Me to!

3. elliot01

elliot01 Guest

Its just becouse of that its main thing was to play xbox games when a dvd player main thing is to play dvds! Get it?

4. Nitrosus

Nitrosus Member

ok. I was just wondering cuase my friend's xbox didnt have that problem so i guess it only happens on some xbox's or something like that.

5. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Common thing if you have a Thompson Drive!! This is probably the worst drive to have in your Xbox. There are 3 different types of dvd drives for the xbox...Thompson,Philips, and Samsung. The samsung is the best drive because it reads just about everything you throw in it. what kind of media are you using?? Anyways, I would try to change blank media, use a laser lens cleaner for the Xbox, or replace the Thompson(if that's what you have) with the samsung 616T or the original Samsung 605 drive. Go to llama.com and it will give the the 3 different drives with the trays open so you can figure out what drive you have. Some of the first Xbox's produced came with the Thompson drive and the newer Xbox's have the Samsung.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

There is now a fourth drive in the box from what I heard....I think it's made by LG and it isn't that good either.

7. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

An LG drive that'not good!!!! hmmm, I can beleive it for the xbox..now there pc drives rule for the most part, I've got one on my pc and it's been very reliable. I can see Microsoft doing that crap to get more money from us after we dish out hundreds of dollars on a system. I beleive that is the reason why they put that shitty Thompson drive in there, they knew it was a lemon to begin with. They have 3 different drives, Hmmmm...wonder why they would do that. They could of easily put Samsung drives in all of them but no!!! Throw in another 80-100 dollar price tag on all of our xbox's for a new drive.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  8. abear021

abear021 Member

well im guessing it doesnt matter which drive is in your crapbox cuz i have the samsung drive in mine and still get the dirty/damaged disc error.

9. 121flame

121flame Member

is there any opinions on the philips drive? i have that one and it is just as reliable as the samsung i beleive, ive had no disk read errors at all since i got it in december 2004. but i dont think it is fast enough as in fable some of the map textures take a few seconds to apply so your left with this bubble thing that you can walk right through :)

10. weeloon

weeloon Member

I bought an Xbox in Dec 2003 and in April 04 had a problem with "damaged dirty disc erro". Called the helpline and this was replaced under warranty. Now with the replaced unit, it is coming up with the same message on all the discs that I have. Microsoft said they will exchage this but I have to pay a flat charge of USD100! What is the real problem with the drives? Why is it they do not have a repair service? Am I gettig ripped off by Microsoft here?
    Please advise.
    Newbie.

11. abear021

abear021 Member

I'll say it again CRAPBOX!

12. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

We'd rather you keep it to yourself next time.

13. 121flame

121flame Member

i say it again, We'd rather you keep it to yourself next time.

14. weeloon

weeloon Member

Is there someone out there who could provide constructive comments on how I can repair the machine?

15. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

You should still be under the warantee. I don't see why they would charge you for that. Send it back again and see what happens.

16. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Does anybody know if they sell the xtender in a clear case instead of the black???

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  17. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I saw an original Samsung drive(sdg-605) with a manufacture date of 10/04 for 100 bucks & it's brand new. I've checked out other drives manufactured in 2002 & 2003 for 80 bucks used for 70 & 80 bucks! Is that reasonable for that new drive???

18. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

mahh, forget that last post!! I went to EB Games and talked to one of the salesman and luckily the guy had a spare drive, it was the Samsung dvd-rom drive with a manufacture date of April 2004 off of a 2nd generation xbox. Not bad for 60 bucks I say!