1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappearing Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by MaleManX, Mar 26, 2007.

1. MaleManX

MaleManX Member

I have Windows XP. For some reason, the amount of free space keeps going down. I have a laptop and it has two internal hard drives, one that's around 37 gigs and the other around 45.

THe one with 37 gigs is the main hard drive, the other being mainly for storage.

Anyways, I don't have a lot of space left on my main hard drive, which is why I need to know why the amount of free space keeps going down.

Everytime I download something, I always put it in my other drive. I haven't installed any new programs. I delete all the temporary internet files.

But it keeps going down. I've lost about 200 megs already. What's the problem?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You lost 200 megabytes in what amount of time? A week? A month? A year? Have you checked your Recycle Bin lately? Your TEMP folder? If you use AcdSee to view images, it creates a thumbnail database in your Documents And Settings folder, that can get big. Could it be something like that? I use an app called TreeSize Pro to check where my disk space is being used, maybe that might help?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  3. 3lement

3lement Regular member

yea it could also be spyware because that takes up space and can also slow down your pc by using up its memory. Also cookies can too. o yea and tree size is a good program i use it too. works nicely. good luck.