1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc comes out blank after successful burn

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by samishra, Jan 21, 2007.

1. samishra

samishra Member

I have a Samsung SH-W162C writer and have Nero 6.6.1.6. For the last few days I am having this problem of getting a blank DVD after a successful burn. I have tried 4x, 8x and 16x. I have also formatted my disc reloaded XP and Nero. Still having the same problem.

The disc gets written on, when I look at the back of the disc. But the comp says its a blank. :)

Here is the log for the last burn. See if you can make out anything.

2. samishra

samishra Member

I burnt the already burnt disc and Nero burned it successfully again. It still says the disc is blank. Here is the log :

3. Bigfatboy

Bigfatboy Regular member

firmware needs updating TS11 is newest

get new firmware here - http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2078

try burning at 4x again

peace

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Your firmware is one version behind:
    rpc1.org lists TS11 as the current version:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2078

According to the Nero log as well as what you saw on the media, the thing is getting burned so maybe it's just your drive not being able to read burned media. Some burners have a problem with this. Install a good DVD ROM drive if possible. A firmware update may help. Have you tried playing the copy in a DVD player?

Buggy Nero version:
    Update Nero from here, both packages
    Package 1:
    http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/Nero-6.6.0.18_no_yt.exe

Package 2 :
    http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/NVE-3.1.0.21_no_yt.exe

You should use a slower burn speed:
    Set your burn speed to 1/2 or less of the rated speed for the media.

I've had excellent results with the media you are using but it is not considered the best:
    Here's a media list you may want to look at:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  5. zapatero

zapatero Member

Try reading the disc with IsoBuster. If it can be read, there may be a problem with Windows. If it cannot be read, there may a problem with the optical drive. In this case, run a diagnostics program for it.

6. samishra

samishra Member

Okay, So I tried the firmware update and slowing down to 4x and it wrote to the disc and is reading successfully. I have burnt 2 discs. Though it takes about 16-18 minutes each, but yeah no more coasters, I hope.

Thank you guys.

7. samishra

samishra Member

Well, the celebrations was too son and too short lived. I burned 3 DVD's and now none of them are accessible. They all read as blank. One of the DVD shows 8GB free, even though its a 4.7GB DVD.

Here is the latest log file. Hope you can help me out here.

8. samishra

samishra Member

Here is another try with a different media.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

This is a difficult issue because your burn logs are showing successful burns.

So please verify that something is or is not being written on the blank.

Look on the recording surface of your burned but blank DVD. Does it look like it has been burned? Compare it to an unburned blank.

Are you burning data or movies or ??. It looks like you are burning a movie iso with Express but I'm not at all sure about that.

I'd like to suggest an alternative to what you are doing once I figure out what you are trying to burn.

Nero burning programs (Express and Burning ROM) have "Verify data on disc after burning" check boxes. Check this before starting your next burn.

It will make a big difference in how we proceed once we know for sure if the discs are actually blank or if they are written to but unreadable.

It appears you are trying to burn an iso:
    Try using ImgBurn to write with.
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/SetupImgBurn_2.1.0.0.exe
    This may be a bit easier for us to figure out if we know you have tried more than one program. For example if ImgBurn also says you are getting a successful burn then we can go from there.

10. samishra

samishra Member

Though the burn report says successful burns, the discs come out blank. I am trying to burn Data DVDs. And yes the discs are being written to, as I can make it out looking at the DVDs. The funny thing is I can burn it again and again. I have tried burning to the same disc about 15 times. LOL.

I will try to burn with with the verify option. I don't wanna think the burners dead.

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

A blank disc is one with nothing on it. Yours are not blank if you can see they have been written to. They just fail to read.

As far as writing more to the DVD then this makes it possible:

This is not a good idea at all because if you look at the size of your DVD and then the size of the amount of data you are burning, then there would be little room left for more.

You may be trying to read burned DVDs with your burner which does not work in some cases. See if it will verify the data....on a fresh DVD. You need to stop writing to this particular disc. I think it has had enough punishment.:)

You should get some DVD RW rewritable media so you can erase and reuse.

I don't think your burner is dead because it is writing correctly, without any SCSI errors reported. It may be a poor reader though.

12. samishra

samishra Member

Tried burning with "Verify written data" option. Here are the results :

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thank you for doing the data verification.
    Look at the time first:
    Start of disc verification was at 12:27:34
    It failed at 12:37:09
    So it was verifying correctly up until that point.

The location:
    This DVD, like all others, is divided into 2048 byte sized "sectors". The data sectors start at an "address" or location of 30000 h and ends at 26053f h. The "h" is for Hexadecimal.

So in this case your data was correctly written on the DVD, starting at 30000 h and ending at 2149968 h

Once that was done the verification began. It failed when
    read errors occurred from sector 888192 to sector 888207.

Nero and your DVD drive continued to read once it passed the bad spot on your DVD. It completed reading at 12:51:38.

The size of the unreadable spot is 15 sectors which is 2048 bytes X 15 so it's microscopic relative to the total size of the data, but still large enough to fail verification.

Burners are not always the best readers and so if it missed a spot then I'm not surprised. You can see though that the data has been written.
    I do see other odd things that seem to support this. Notice in the log that the "DVD Structure: Physical Format Information" is written three times. Notice the "Illegal Request" error at the beginning of the burn process.

Because you are making data DVDs it is important that you can read them with your computer.. And eveything indicates that your burner is having trouble reading the same discs it burns.

For now I would try some -R format media. The media brand you are using is usually excellent but you may want to try Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. If the problem still occurs, consider replacing the burner. Your current burner has been discontinued.

Samsung burners are usually good and if you do replace it, consider the newer SH-S182M/BEBN
    A last test would be to try a different burning program but I would not count on this working any better than Nero.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  14. samishra

samishra Member

Well, I would love to try Taiyo Yuden media. But I have never been able to source it here in India. If you know any site that provides worldwide shipping, I could try a spindle or two.

I will go out tomorrow and try to get a few different brands of media to see if all produce the same results or not.

Thanks for your help. And must say I loved your log analysis skill. Quite efficient.