1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc Degradation

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bofh1971, May 2, 2005.

1. bofh1971

bofh1971 Member

Hiya Guys

First of all, the site is great, lots of info for me to continue reading.
    I have done searches and browsed some posts but cannot seem to find a question like mine, so here goes.

This has been driving me crazy.
    I successfully backup a dvd, it plays fine in a standalone player....the first time. Now normally I would go after fingermarks and the like but I am beginning to think that I am the victim of some fading dye plot.
    the dvd's stop working or breakup on the second or third attempt at playing them, or even first time if they have been left a couple of days.

I have tried both Ritek and Datawrite GO4 dye discs.
    I have also changed my dvd writer. First one was ASUS 18 months old, for a new NEC.

Being a pc technician I have done the usual checks, software updates etc.

Is there any evidence that disks are fading over short periods of time, or am I just paranoid and need to sort out a simple problem, due to my n00bness.

Many thanks for any help

BOFH1971
    p.s. sorry guys, where is my head at... heres the technical info.
    DVD Drive: NEC DVD RW ND3520A
    dvd shink 3.2
    nero express (cheapy oem edition) 6.0.0.20

I didnt really think I needed to update the burning software any further due to successful first viewings. however something did just occur to me, is it just the way the dvd playback device is handling errors, i.e. managing to playback until the error count gets to high, meaning sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt?
    I dont know, just me specualting.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

have you tried a different DVD player? I ask because I bought a cheap APEX from WalMart, and it only played one DVD. Every other one I put in it said "Please insert a disc" and spit it out. These were original movies, not backups by the way. Then I put in the first DVD that it actually did play and it said the same thing. I brought that player back to WalMart and got a nice Panasonic and that plays everything I throw at it.

3. bofh1971

bofh1971 Member

thanks for the quick reply squizzle :)

we have 3 different dvd players in the house and 4 pc's all with players or burners in them
    2 different cyberhomes a CH DVD 505 (is that really over a year old now?)
    and an ADL528 which is really old but is such a great player

we also have a Toyota Corolla verso with toyotas dvd headrest players, which is the main reason to backup dvd's so I can take them on the road.

then we have a no-name Asda (walmart) tv dvd combo
    basically the discs work fine the first time round, then when I go to watch them again trouble starts to happen.

Its sort of illogical that I should have a good playthrough and then constantly get problems, at random points throughout the disc.

some of the problems are with backups of Family guy, which I like to use in the car, I have also had problems with Star Wars.

This didnt happen until about 3 months ago, so its a pretty new problem.

The big final test is to re-install everything on my pc and start again burning dvd's to see if I get the same problem, I was just hoping for a quick answer.
    PC security is pretty tight with a/v and spyware scans done regularly.

again thanks for the quick reply

4. TheButler

TheButler Member

If you're referring to the new Datawrite Optima Blue disks which use the G05 dye, then I can't recommend them highly enough!

I know people have been slating the ritek dye for going downhill over the last year or so, but the new G05 version seems to be a LOT better. The guy in the shop said they are the best Ritek disk yet.. and I just paid him lip service to get out the shop, but I think he was actually telling the truth this time :p

If you can get a hold of a pack to try, I'm pretty sure you'll have more success with this brand.

Have you tried viewing your problem disks in another player?

Even with the new dyes, theres still plenty players that turn their noses up to disks.. regardless of their quality or price tags!