1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc full??

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by astgte, Mar 10, 2007.

1. astgte

astgte Member

First of all, can I say a great big thanks to all those who helped me with my previous problems. Your time and assistance has sorted me out with burning problems I was having. Now for another problem that I get only occasionaly, and I am sure there is a simple reason for it. On occasion, after downloading a movie file, I have started nero, added the files, the meter at the bottom shows that it will fit onto disc maybe average quality, the program then goes through transcoding but just as it starts to burn it comes up with the error 'wont fit onto disc' 'insert a disc with correct capacity'? I have tried verbatim,sony,philips discs, and the same thing happens, standard 4.7gb discs. Now I can understand if it is too big to fit, but the files are what seems to be exactly the same 700 odd mb as the many others I have used. And it is just the odd file. Latest one was a very nice axxo release which was around 740mb uncoded just wouldnt fit. If I download another version (no matter what type of film i'm talking about) usually theres no problem. Anyone any ideas on what this annoying glitch maybe?
    Thanks

2. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Hi astgte (from one newbe to another!)

Well.. here's what I think is going on:

The file size of the original avi (or insert your movie download format here) or name brand of dvd blank used is *not the point* for the encoder (though it is a factor); instead, it's more about the length of the movie and resolution.

I would suggest you go into Nero (Vision, right?), click the button towards the bottom of it that reads "More>>", click "Default Video Options", select the "DVD Video" tab; under "Transcoding Quality", use the pulldown menu to select either "Extended Play" or "Super Long Play".

The above paragraph can be condensed to the following illustration:

[​IMG]

Make that change and that will patch you up.

3. astgte

astgte Member

Thanks for that, probably wont be a while till it happens again so will give that a try, but a question then, why does the guage at the bottom show that it will fit, and it's not until it finishes transcoding and goes to burn that it decides it?
    Thanks

4. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Well.. that is an odd duck indeed!

Particularly since, as far as I understood, transcoding is both encoding and burning (or, transfering the data to a removeable storage medium or saving a disk image) at the same time; not many dvd authoring applications have that term as (I believe) Nero had to sorta coin it themselves. Usually the encoding and burning components are done separately.

HOWEVER... I can think of at least one way in which I could re-create your result: if I were to transcode the movie to a disk image, open Nero Burning Rom and then try to burn the disk image as data. Why? Because disk images can and sometimes need to be bigger than the target size because not all of the data actually goes on the disk; some of it is used to give the burning app instructions.

But I don't think that's happening. Instead, I think you can get an advanced warning, but possibly it's not activated. Please check (under "More>>") Configure...>Application Settings>Display Tool Tips to make sure it either reads "Verbose" or "brief", but not "None". Also in that same Application Settings window, try the "Messages" tab and click "Restore Default".