1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc is full message

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by lynwlms, Jan 11, 2010.

1. lynwlms

lynwlms Member

Am using a NEC DVD RW ND-3550A burner. (Running Win XP). The past few days I'm unable to add any data to the disc. I keep getting the message that the disc is full. It's not. I've tried burning using Nero Express, CDBurnerXP and the Windows burner. Same message. Have updated my firmware to the latest version 1.07. I have no problem burning to the disc the first time (I save my Quickbooks info to disc) but when it comes to adding additional data, I get the full message. I do leave the CD open so I can add info.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Lynn

2. lynwlms

lynwlms Member

I just discovered I posted my question to the wrong forum. Can I repost it in the cd burning forum? Sorry
    Lynn

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum.

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Are you talking about packet writing software such as Nero's InCD
    (allowing you to use the disk like a floppy, drag and drop, etc)

Or are you creating a regular multi-session CD to which you're
    adding further sessions ?

5. lynwlms

lynwlms Member

I'm not sure I understand the difference. I'd guess multi session since I want to add additional data to the cd. I'm using the CD to back up my Quickbooks.
    Lynn
    (thanks for moving question)

6. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Well there is a difference. As I mentioned, one allows you
    to use it like a floppy, you can drag files and folders directly to the
    device and it will write the data - the other method doesn't allow this.

If I were you, copy the contents of the whole disk to a folder on the
    PC. If you're using CD-RW, erase it and copy the data back.
    If you're using CDR, rewrite the files to a new disk.

7. lynwlms

lynwlms Member

I guess it's packet writing then because Nero allows me to drag info to it. I'll try copying the contents to a folder.

8. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Rewritable media (including floppy discs, CD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM) need to be formatted before they are recorded so that there is a section on the medium that keeps a list of the contents and the addresses of the files to be recorded if users want to erase, edit, change, or add to the medium. (You don't need to format a CD-RW if you want to record it like a CD-R; but then it works like a CD-R, not a floppy disk.) Nero InCD is the packet writing format software that Ahead uses. Like all packet-writing formats, it is incompatible with all other formats--unfortunately, there was no single standard written.

CD-Rs don't work the same way because they are not erasable. One has the choice of: 1) writing data to the disc, then "finalizing" it, which means the permanent table of contents is written to the disc; or 2) using a multi-session method of recording that does not finalize the disc but leaves an incomplete table of contents section open so that more files can be appended to the last file that was written. The second method restricts users to the same drive in the same computer to add files--users can't read the disc or write to it on any other system because the table of contents is left open. Once the user decides the disc is complete or is full, the multi-session is closed/the disc finalized by writing the final table of contents. If a disc is finalized with only one tiny file on it, all systems will see the disc as "full" no matter how much more recorded area is left. Once the final table of contents is written, the CD-R disc is "full" and permanently closed.

It's complicated, but I hope this helps.

9. lynwlms

lynwlms Member

This is where I am now....
    tried to copy the file off the CD into a folder on my HD. Got the message "Can not copy...Data error "cyclic redundancy check". Ran check disk. When it was done copied data to CD using Windows. All worked fine. Added more info to disc, using Windows...all was fine. Did this 3 or 4 times. Then rec'd message "Runtime Error! Program: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE R6025 - pure virtual function call". Googled it, tried to understand it. lol. Re-installed Nero Express. I noticed it gives the option for InCD packet writing. Thought I'd try it. I've since uninstalled it. Am running Nero Express now. It was not working right for whatever reason. Really isn't a wonder with all the installing/uninstalling I've done. Anyway, now have Nero6...all seems to be working fine for now. *knock on wood*

10. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

New computers often come with Roxio DirectCD or equivalent or, in fewer cases, Nero software. DirectCD is also packet writing software, and it conflicts with all others; so installing Nero's InCD in addition to DirectCD causes multiple problems for consumers.

Having only one version on a computer is essential, but there is another problem that crops up: formatting with one packet writing software version and then putting the formatted disc into a different computer with the other packet writing version on it will entice the second to immediately begin to overwrite the first, thus corrupting it and ruining the disc. (It's a bit like some religions--each thinks its God is the only one and all non-users should go to hell. Maybe that's why each creates such hellish problems for the others.)

The safest way to use a rewritable disc is to fully erase it, then record it and finalize it just as one would a CD-R. The disc remains reusable, but the problems with packet writing formatting conflicts and computer interchangeability go away. If adding material is important, it's easier to create a "CD transfer" folder on your hard drive and put files there until it's time to erase and refresh a CD-RW.

11. Mez

Mez Active member

If you are transfering info from one computer to another use a USB memory stick. That is one of their main uses. Because the USB writes to its self do don't have the issues of two different devices writing to the same disk. That always creates some problems no matter what the media. You can get an 8 g for a few bucks.

You can use the USBs for backups as well. The USB is more reliable than a CD. I would still back up to a write once disk once a month or every 10th time (which ever comes later). As others mentioned, If you are going to use the disk more than once you can't close your disk after the write. Nero may default to closing the disk.

12. lynwlms

lynwlms Member

Yeah, you're probably right about the memory stick. They're certainly cheap enough nowdays. It still worries me a bit about the burner being "unstable" to say the least. I've got a big project coming up for my non profit which will entail burning a couple hundred discs.

13. Mez

Mez Active member

I doubt the cause is the burner. It is more likely user error; due to you should be burning a multisession disk but are not. Most everything defaults to single session. See, if it doesn't close the disk you may not be able to see anything on the disk. That floods user support. They should make near impossible to make a multisession disk for that reason. You are trying to use a CD like a memory stick. They are not the same. You are trying to swim up a water fall.

If you are concerned about the burning software us better software. Imgburn is free and is far superior to Nero. Buy some Verbatim disks for that job. That brand is the most reliable that you can pick up in a store.

14. lynwlms

lynwlms Member

I'll check out Imgburn...and Verbatim.
    Thanks!