1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion of DVD Audio and Super Audio CD Formats

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by robmill, Jan 29, 2004.

1. robmill

robmill Member

Hello,

I wanted to start a dicussion of these formats that was more for the user than a forum (or should I say stage) for manufacturers and industries focused on one or the other format.

This is not to be a "Which Format is Better" forum, but just a general discussion of the formats for US the consumer, whether we be audiophiles or just people interested in these formats.

I have both SACD and DVDA and really like both.
    1. I have a slight preference to the SACD format because of is capability of being played on non SACD players when the disc is done in the Hybrid mode.
    2. They are cheaper in the Denver Area than DVD Audio Discs are.

But with that said, I tend to purchase the format that the music I want is on, rather than choosing because of the format itself.

Let the discussion begin.

Robert

2. pope

pope Guest

I am a huge fan of both formats. I have a universal player, so after I got it I wanted to check out some of the media.
    I personaly feel that SACD sounds better. On the other hand I really like the the little extras that you get with DVD-A.
    I know you said that this is not a discussion as to which one is better, and Im glad, because I really dont think there is a better format. It's just that there is a better format for some people. I really hope that the two can coexist.

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

We've done this one to death on this forum.
    Boring.
    Sorry, but my preferences are well known, and we have written pages on this already.
    Why do we need to do it all again? Just read the other posts, and join in there.
    Welcome aboard sir.

4. robmill

robmill Member

Wilke,

I just wanted a less biased opionion. From the other threads there was a distinct bias against SACD.

Robert

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

So join in on the other threads, and put your opinion. Different opinions are healthy.
    My dislike of SACD is based on a lot of things, most of which are in those threads. That is why I think this thread is somewhat pointless.
    :)

6. robmill

robmill Member

Ya know something Wilkes.

You are a snotty sob arn't you.

Consider myself gone from Afterdawn.

Robert

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

No - I don't think so. I just honestly fail to see the point in starting an argument that is already being discussed.
    The points you make, and I quote "let the discussion begin" with reference to this thread, could be considered provocative and
    "Figured I would start a heated conversation going,,,,so here goes"...... & "Let the battle begin."
    in a thread elsewhere, is definitely looking for an argument.
    As I said previously, there is nothing wrong with differing opinions. What I have the problem with is the "let's start an argument for argument's sake" attitude. I use PC by choice, yet I would not dream of going to a mac users forum and posting that I think PC is better & mac is S*** threads.

The SACD/DVD-A thread on this board is alive & well. For gods sake join in there, and the comments will be taken as written. Starting a new thread on the exact same subject is, as I said, pointless.

Then you spit the dummy and say "i'm gone". Why? don't like different opinions? If not, then don't ask for them.

I am certainly no snob. I do my best wherever I can, but if provoked I will defend myself.
    End of argument.